INFAMOUS 80 Series TLC CrawlerBox/Transfercase FAQ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.phipsi.net
I KNOW this subject has been beat to death and comes up again every so often, but the point of this thread is to:

1. Consolidate the other threads out there about this
2. To get the opinion of some guys who know their Sh*t regarding 80 series trucks and transfer cases etc.
3. *Explain what CAN work in an 80 regardless of cutting, moving, lifting etc (which is why this is hardcore and not in the 80 section a stock weekend wheel is not likely to cut sheet metal).

I would appreciate assistance in filling in why each option doesn't work and what it would take to adapt the listed options below to an 80 (adapter plate, centered rear axle, etc.).

Marks Crawler Box: As it currently stands the 80 has ONLY 1 option. That is a from AU. $3700 + cut gas tank +Body lift

Atlas II

Atlas IV

Orion

Klune

One of the Marlin Crawler options

Inchworm cases

My goal is that this thread is the go to FAQ for all 80 series transfercase/crawl box questions. I accept that there will probably never be an 80 series plug and play Crawler/Xcase. I just need some closure!:beer::flipoff2:

subscribed...w should all sign a petition for advanced adapters to make an atlas 2 that wuld bolt up t an 80 series...i believe tht would be the best option in my opinion

Reactions: RFB
subscribed.
I dumped the 94 and 1FZE in favor of the my second 3FE so i could bolt on an H42 and toybox eventually.
I'd love to be able to keep my A440F though if there's an option.

Marlin has a box on a A440 in a 62. Last I heard they were trying to get it back on the front burner. I have the intent to look at an A440 from an 80 to see if the rear adapter could be swapped. My understanding is that the tailshaft on H42s needs to be cut to install the Toybox. How much is left out I do not know, but I know the 80 series A440 has about +/- 2" stub shaft for the H1VF(not sure of the designation) to mount to. Anybody have a junk A440/2 from an 80 to measure the tailshaft? I have the rear adapter from an A440 from a 62 that could be compared. if I remember correctly when I installed my Rodney Extreme Transmission, I had to swap over the rear adapter as well, but I failed to document, or take any pics :bang:

it would be kinda cool to get a 203/205 doubler behind the a343f and it would be bulletproof

an atlas would work with a centered rear diff. once that adapter plate was available

Advance Adapters has an 95/97 80 series drive train at their shop, I have been in some lengthy discussions with them about getting an adapter developed for it. Their main focus right now is the 4spd Atlas with it's design revisions. Perhaps when they are finished with that project I can try to get them back onto the project, I think a 2spd is enough for an 80 series, a 4spd might be pushing it in relation to the gas tank location.

Considering the 80 series rear axle is only offset by 4" to the passenger side the center output on the Atlas will have little affect on driveline issues.

Advance Adapters has an 95/97 80 series drive train at their shop, I have been in some lengthy discussions with them about getting an adapter developed for it. Their main focus right now is the 4spd Atlas with it's design revisions. Perhaps when they are finished with that project I can try to get them back onto the project, I think a 2spd is enough for an 80 series, a 4spd might be pushing it in relation to the gas tank location.

Considering the 80 series rear axle is only offset by 4" to the passenger side the center output on the Atlas will have little affect on driveline issues.

There anything that can be done to promote them to speed up the "get them back on the project" situation? Would each of us sending an email over to AA inquiring about it assist?

SO you're saying the 4" offset will be negligible regardless of speed? I know at crawl it wont matter, but what if you decide to do a little desert/sand driving/jumping :D

This is good to know

There anything that can be done to promote them to speed up the "get them back on the project" situation? Would each of us sending an email over to AA inquiring about it assist?

SO you're saying the 4" offset will be negligible regardless of speed? I know at crawl it wont matter, but what if you decide to do a little desert/sand driving/jumping :D

This is good to know

I have a 80 series rear axle with a FJ62 transfer case and I've gotten my FJ40 up to highway speeds with little vibrations... then again everything vibrates with my truck BUT no drive line issues.

I'll get in contact with them sometime soon and see where they are at.

Kyle at NWF is working on some adapters for the h42 and h55 to black box.

If he had access to a 80 series tranny I am sure he would entertain the idea building the adapters.

Rob:beer:

there are two guys i know of on pirate running 80 rear axles in a tacoma and 4runner(centered rear output) with little issues. i talked with a guy on pirate a while back when i was picking up my axles for my pickup. his response:

"Good question. I did run the 4Runner on the street quite a bit. When I first built It I just used a stock rear driveshaft, single cardan. That was good up to about 40pmh, but then it would vibrate like crazy. I had a front CV shaft retubed to fit, and that worked great, no vibes at all all the way up to 80mph.
The double cardan CV shaft had no issues and didn't mind the angles. Angles weren't too bad, since I only had about 2-3" of lift in the rear, plus the offset.
I pointed the pinion basiclaly at tthe t-case, maybe 1-2* below it, that's why it really needed the CV shaft."

properly set up minitruck dual cases(23spline, rear 4.7 gearset, 30 spline front and rear output shafts) are in the neighborhood of $1600. just for reference.

with the amount of interest this topic has had off and on, you would think someone would have stepped up already.

taken from a thread on marlin:

Have been tring to research ideas for transfer case doublers.
Vehicle in question is a 1995.5 fzj80 motor: 1fz-fe, tranny: a343f, Tcase: h2va
Ideally would like to bolt up reduction box to split case from fj60 to keep offset diff output.
Some google searching has led to a swap where a man in spain took the r150f out of a 4runner and replaced it with an a343f. The kicker is that he was able to use the same tcase from the r150f behind the a343. Looks like a simple switch. link to thread
Manual to auto swap - YotaTech Forums

Question are there any differences in the a343 transmission tail housings/ output shafts toyota offers that would cause the a343f transmission found in MY 1995.5 fzj80 to not bolt up to the adapter plate that marlin sells that bolts to the r150f?

Logic behind the question: If a man bolted up a tcase from a r150f with no adapter to an a343, then the rear end of the r150f and the a343f are the same.

If the rear end of the r150f and the a343f are the same then I can bolt the adapter and the marlin reduction box that is marketed for the r150f to the a343f in MY fzj80. THen from that reduction box a split case from an fj60.

can anyone confirm if it is possible to take the tail housing from an a340f and bolt it up to my a343f and usethe adapter for the a340f

Somebody get a dimensioned drawing of the transmission side of that r150f adapter and I'll be happy to find out.

Thanks Gumby, I will let Kyle know about your offer.

Talk about options, check out Kyles website and see all the transfercase options you can attach to the black box...

Rob

I really hope someone figures out some options before I go and yank my drivetrain for Chevy!

yank it

AA is not going to do the atlas for the 80. even if they did they would sell like 10. i have wasted so much time on the phone with them

and the marks box is not worthy

the marks 3.1 tcase gears are still holding strong in my truck.

i would consider yanking the yota tcase out and runnning a divorced atlas 3.8....someone should do this

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom