inexpensive horsepower increases (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone done any successful ones (cold air intakes, chip upgrades, etc.)? Really don't want to touch the exhaust system as it's nice and quiet.

these threads are always hilarious to me..... Inexpensive and HP increases do not go together.....

a Free flowing exhaust and headers are about the ONLY mods to increase power (small gains) under $2k......

Cheapest hp/$ is getting an '06 or '07 truck.

Second place is probably a chip tune, however I haven't found one that I think is worth it. To get the most tuning ability from the ECU you really need to have control over the ignition timing as well as the fuel delivery, and I'm pretty sure most chips, like the Unichip, only adjust the fuel and have no control over the spark. I do not believe an MSD box would work on the 2UZFE, but perhaps I am wrong.

I think the best bang/buck for the 100 series would be an XEDE piggy back ECU. With the XEDE you have full control over fuel and ignition timing through the OEM ECU. With just the XEDE ECU and a few degrees of ignition timing advance I bet we'd find a good 20hp or more. An XEDE ECU is about $900, which may fit some peoples' definition of cheap.

I particularly like the responses like "Toyota hires pretty good engineers" because it completely ignores the fact that this vehicle is built for a 25 year service life. Part of the reason these trucks last so long is because they aren't tuned up to get maximum HP. One only has to look at the aftermarket and see that people are making well over 300hp on non-VVTi 2UZFE engines naturally aspirated without much drama.

I thought that joke about pricks only applied to BMWs ...

You gotta pay to play!

Find a TRD blower or just trade in the 100 for a 200.

Thanks, I can live with the performance I have. I have 2001 Excursion with a 7.3L Powerstroke. Just a chip made one hell of a difference.

K&N air filter plus stickers gotta be good for 30-40hp. I figure 5 hp per sticker. Got a 6ph Honda lawn mower engine..added the K&N filter and repowered my Fiat Spider with it...

Drive an FJ60 for a few years, and you'll be more than happy with what you've got... :) I always wonder about these type of threads. I can pull a loaded 2 horse trailer at freeway speeds with my '04 just fine, up decent hills, too. Not sure what I'd actually "need" more HP for? I guess I'd burn more gas, faster, probably...
:meh:

Thanks, I can live with the performance I have. I have 2001 Excursion with a 7.3L Powerstroke. Just a chip made one hell of a difference.
Turbos. Turbos are the best thing in the world.

Drive an FJ60 for a few years, and you'll be more than happy with what you've got... :) I always wonder about these type of threads. I can pull a loaded 2 horse trailer at freeway speeds with my '04 just fine, up decent hills, too. Not sure what I'd actually "need" more HP for? I guess I'd burn more gas, faster, probably...
:meh:
You can do that with a V6, why do you NEED a V8? Just to burn more gas? Geez... :rofl:

I think that's just the effect of a turbo. Tuning is cake with forced induction. With NA, the motor tends to be pretty well off from the factory.

You can squeeze out more power, but you'll either sacrifice reliability or spend a small fortune - or both!

A few people have claimed the 12-hole injectors help, but there's no data showing any benefit as of today. I'm hoping to help change that, but I expect my results will just show the injectors are either no benefit or a very small one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom