Indicators not working? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got my hj61 back up and running after a big sleep.

All seems alright but my indicators or hazards don’t work.

The relays click once and no lights flash, any idea what the issue could be.
I’ve taken half the dash apart tracing wires all over the place but don’t understand where the problems coming from.

The relays are fairly new, they worked before it being parked up.

Thanks 🍻

Carefully check each fuse in the fuse block with a continuity checker

Carefully check each fuse in the fuse block with a continuity checker

Even before checking all the fuses just run your fingers down each row of fuses and sort of wiggle them in their holders. Sometimes they get a little corrosion from sitting and a quick wiggle restores contact. When that fails then go and test each one....easiest way to test is with the truck off and continuity check on the two top pins of the fuse

If you hazard switch is not working then test your horns. Same fuse.
Always powered direct from battery.

Thanks for the reply’s guys!

Continuity on all fuses, horn works, flashers click (just once) when turn signals or hazard switch pressed and the full circuits work when I short across the flashers.

Gotta be a bad ground somewhere but no luck finding it yet... spent hours on it already today 🤦🏻‍♂️

Electrics are by far my weakest link

I’m at a total loss with this, picking up someone else’s project can be a real headache.

Does someone have the part number for the charge relay? Hj61 1987

I think mine might be straight up missing

The battery light is on the dash so could be that it’s not charging and so the bolts arnt high enough... doesn’t quite make sense seeing as everything else works but I’ll try anything ag this point.

If the battery light is iluminated while the truck is running then thats a sign that the alternator is no charging. Best thing to do is to start the truck and read the voltage across the battery with a volt meter. If its a 12v system you should see 12.8-14.4 volts. If its a 24v system then I don't know..you'll have to google normal 24v charging voltage.

Inspect any fusible links you have, check the condition of your battery cables, terminals, and make sure the posts and terminals are clean and the terminals tight.

Last edited:
If the battery light is iluminated while the truck is running then thats a sign that the alternator is no charging. Best thing to do is to start the truck and read the voltage across the battery with a volt meter. If its a 12v system you should see 12.8-14.4 volts. If its a 24v system then I don't know..you'll have to google normal 2v charging voltage.

Inspect any fusible links you have, check the condition of your battery cables, terminals, and make sure the posts and terminals are clean and the terminals tight.

Thanks for the reply, the alternator seems to be working. Putting out up to 32v on high idle at start up then drops down to around 28v at normal idle and stays that way.

Thinking the battery light may be on because at the moment I’m using two mis matching batteries just to get the thing running before slashing out on a matching set.

I did re-terminate the battery clamps this morning too and it seems to have done something for the total volatage across the two batteries.

I hope I’ve cracked the code for the indicators, the flasher relay seemed to be working but when I had a closer look two of the solder strips on the underside had little gaps in them... off to collect a new one this afternoon and hopefully that’s that sorted. I hope... as to why that’s happened in the first place I don’t know!

As mentioned I’m picking up someone else’s un finished project and it’s been a bit of a headache so far

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom