SOLD Indiana: 1992 Land Cruiser Heavily Built (Price Drop) $27,000 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 80 Series
Mileage
Color
Beige
This truck has been my pet project since I purchased it in 2016. It took many turns and as a result cost more money than it needed to. But it’s a reliable animal. I love it but I cant justify having this and two other similar trucks. Ive built it and enjoyed it (with the help of many great people) and now its time for someone else to make it their own. For what it’s worth, I don’t need the money, I am not in a rush to sell and I am not open to low ball offers. PLEASE come drive it before buying it. It’s important that we go through the truck together to be sure it fits the desires of the buyer. This truck is a nice running truck. It has no major trail damage except the branch scrapes. It was built to be used and can still look nice at the Saturday night car show.

THIS TRUCK IS DE-SMOGGED.

I have put less than 5k miles on this truck since I bought it in 2016. It’s strictly a weekend and trip truck.

The truck is an amalgamation of two trucks. The original truck (current body, frame and interior) is a 99% rust free truck. The engine burned oil and got progressively worse over the the first year of ownership. Probably because of the turbo it had on it. In the process of thinking over the next step I found a wheeler truck with geared, ARB locked axles and an engine with 70k miles since rebuild with a head that was gone through by Redline. I have no back up on the mileage. I can say it runs beautifully, has good power and doesn’t burn any oil. So, the axles and engine went in the truck and the trail truck was stripped for whatever parts I could get before taking the hulk to the scrap yard.

For the 3FE haters out there. With the gearing I have noted below in both the T-case and axles the truck will cruise right along at 70mph at 2700rpms. It will accelerate very well even when loaded, which it is almost all the time anyways. You cannot understand the truck unless you drive it. It goes well. The F Series engine had a 47 year run and the 3FE was the pinnacle. I like it better than the 1995 I had before it for a couple of reasons. 1. It feels like what Toyota meant a Land Cruiser to be, a low RPM engine that chugs away for ever and ever. 2. It is a more visceral experience compared to the 1fz trucks but still comfortable. Come and drive it and if you decide to hate on it then you are welcome.

Armor:
  1. Slee bumpers front and rear. The rear bumper is the last generation. It has the dual swing outs for both tire and Jerry cans. It has the tow hitch that actually bolts to the frame under the truck. These are the Rolex of bumpers. They are beautifully conceived and made.
  2. Cruisin’ Off Road skid plates. Theres nothing to say except they have the best coverage out there.
  3. White Knuckle sliders. They are animals. The trail truck mentioned above had a well used set on it and there was only one dent in the tubing. They can handle the weight of a heavy 80.
Recovery:
  1. Warn 9.5 winch with Warn synthetic winch rope and Factor 55 Pro Link.
  2. I am keeping my snatch strap, connectors, recovery gear etc. I will let the Slee/HiLift attachment go with the truck.
  3. The truck has a 48” HiLift jack on it. I make sure it works but never used it on the trail. It has a brand new neoprene cover on it.
Electrics:
  1. NOCO on board shore power with connector plug on front bumper.
  2. Dual battery system with Blue Sea SI-ACR. Even when parked and connected to shore power the ACR will charge both batteries as needed. I built it myself and I’m happy with the results. I built it after a lot of research on Ih8mud. It’s been on there for 4 years and it does what it’s supposed to.
  3. Subwoofer mounted and wired. I have just never done the final connections.
  4. I have volt gauges for each battery and temp gauges for water and transmission.
  5. In the back is a Dometic 37 fridge. It keeps my beer and fajita meat cold. The fridge remote works some of the time. The fridge has a screw in plug (known as the Engel Plug) in the back so it doesn’t come unplugged.
Suspension/Axles:
  1. Ironman 4” lift with the white Ironman Shocks. It does great on and off road. It flexes nicely. It roads great and I have no complaints whatsoever. Would I put the same system on another 80? Yes. I’m not a shock snob. Ive had OME, Rancho, Ironman. I do have Metaltech pucks in the front to level the truck up. It was no change in ride or steering. Metaltech adjustable panhard. No longer needed because I have the Delta panhard bracket. MetalTech control arms on the back.
  2. Front Axle: Geared to 5.29 with ARB locker. Its dry, it works great and I check the grease level regularly.
  3. Rear Axle: 1996 full float axle. 5.29 gears and ARB locker. Delta Panhard bracket. It has a later 1fz master cylinder on it. You need it off road especially with the transfer case gears. More down below.
  4. The single ARB compressor mounted in the engine bay is piped to both ends with some of the Wits’ End connectors for a nice OBA set up. It will fill the tires from 15 to 35psi in one duty cycle.
  5. Brakes in the front were done about 1.5 years ago. I don’t drive the truck much so they are still nearly new. The same could be said for the back brakes as they were new when the axle went in in 2019.
Engine/Tranny:
  1. I mentioned the engine work above. Valves were adjusted in 2018.
  2. I have a Toyota OEM washable air filter in it.
  3. The transmission is one of Rocket Rods (Wholesale Automatics) A440F transmissions from Oz. It has the billet torque converter and HD valve body. Its shifts precisely and a little hard by modern standards because it’s built to handle towing. Also has a 3rd gear lockup which helps temps. It kicks ass and I know it will be around for many many years. It cost a lot of money.
  4. Rear Drive Shaft: I had the rear drive shaft rebuilt with thicker tube. I can’t recall the thickness but it’ll never twist out on you.
  5. The front shaft is a DC shaft that was on the donor truck. At last check all U-joints are tight and greased at last oil change time.
  6. Transfer case: rebuilt with Terrain Tamer low range and overdrive gears. Before this work I installed an Aux fan and hood vents because she would get warm (not overheating but warm) Offroad. With the case gears it crawls much better and temps stay down. The manual fan is rarely used. The Case rebuild all in was about $1800.00. The truck actually kind of crawls now. I have a video.
  7. The rear oil seal seeps a bit (imagine that). There is no spot on the garage floor where it lives when not being used.
Tires:
  1. 5 Grabber X3 tires. 35” on 16” Pro Comp steelie wheels. I like these tires. They perform well in any situation. The rear tire has a Joey tire cover on it. Its a good place to keep recovery gear, fuel transfer pump and jumper cables. It’ll go with the truck. It’s the one accessory that I like completely. It keeps your gear safe and not noticeable to people walking by. Its cleaner than all of the current options out there with all of the molle bags on them.
Interior:

The seats are not leather. Worked good for me because Im not a leather guy. They are still cushy and the front seats are covered with Cabela’s canvas covers. I believe the foam has been changed out in the front seats but I have no proof. You don’t sink in them when you get in the truck. I changed out the strings on the Cabela’s covers to desert 550 cord so the lacing would blend in better. The fabric covering is in excellent condition.

Pioneer double din stereo with bluetooth. The speakers do crackle at higher volumes. If I was going to keep the truck I would rewire the speakers. The sub is mounted on the accessory shelf in the back.

Center Console: Its a Tuffy box (013) with Tuffy cup holders. I mounted it after looking at a thread on Mud. I got the box with the stereo slot so I could put rocker switches on. Rocker switches manage KC LED front lights (can’t recall the model but they cost about $400.00), auxiliary fan and rear LED light. It has one switch left for the rock lights. This truck is in Indiana where there is no night wheeling. A good project for the new owner. The console is cavernous. It holds all that overland gear you buy but will never use.

Gauges: This truck is not OBD2. I’m an information whore. I love it and since you cant trust the original gauges this truck has its own digital water temp gauge and tranny pan gauge. The mount is made out of bent duct metal, primed with aluminum primer and sprayed with Rustoleum bed liner. Each battery has its own digital gauge. I know there are easier routes and devices to manage your batteries but I took particular pleasure in the electrical work on the truck. It’s simple.

Speski Off-road cage between the back seat and cargo area. It’s rad. I hang all of my overlander stuff off it. I plan to keep the contents of the bags and tools. The bags can be negotiated in with the deal as they work very well back there.

The dome light in the back seat. The PO had a flip town DVD player in there. My future plan was to mount a map box or sunglasses holder. Another item that would happen one day but hasn’t yet. An easy project for the next owner.

Body:
  1. There are some rust spots on the hatch that I ground out cleaned and primed. Hence my comment of 99% rust free. I’m not personally worried about paint. The paint looks above average for its age and shines up nice.
  2. The undercarriage has nothing on it for rust. Extremely solid. It’s not coated or painted to hide anything.
  3. The drivers side handle works but doesn’t spring down when you let go of it very well. But it works. I have another one in my parts box.
  4. The passenger side lock actuator doesn’t work so you have to lock that door manually. You can lock the rest of the truck from the passenger door, including the tailgate. I have the replacement actuator.
  5. The hood was faded badly and so I decided to bed line it. Am I happy with my decision? I still haven’t decided. I wanted to paint it but I knew it wouldn’t match the rest of the truck. So, bed liner.
  6. I don’t drive my vehicles in the winter unless the roads are dry.
  7. It has a windshield thats new. The one on it when I bought it was pitted.
Rear Storage Area:
  1. I built a storage set up that works. Its not overly pretty. It works. I’m happy with it. Its home to the Dometic 37CFX Fridge. It’s part of the deal since its kind of built to all work together in the back.
  2. The right storage area in the back houses spare belts, fluids, pulleys, hoses, wire etc. The storage area has ammo boxes full of spare parts. Outside of having AAA you really couldn’t be any more prepared in this truck.
Misc. Cool Stuff:
  1. Wits’ End Fire Extinguisher mount under the drivers seat with Halotron Fire Extinguisher.
  2. Wits’ End Go Pro Mount on the A piller handle.
  3. Bike cages mounted on the Slee swing out to carry MSR Fuel bottles.
  4. President Slick Willy CB with external speaker. It’s clear as heck. An incredible radio.
  5. Yakima Roof Rack and Awning. They will be included in the deal. I’m done flirting with awnings.
  6. The vents in the hood are covered with a custom cover. I can’t live with rain just pouring into my engine compartment.
  7. I have a plethora of spare parts for the truck. I’d prefer the parts go with the truck. That was the plan and many parts are the hard-to-find one for the truck.
  8. Spare Parts list includes but not limited to: Spare engine and tranny, ignitor, window motors, spare front doors glass, cap/rotor, plug wires. Window Rubbers. Spare Parts on the truck include, relays, starter, pulley’s, belts, some fluids… I cant remember it all. Lots of spare parts. When I found a part that was NLA for the truck Id find a used one on eBay and add it to my collection.
Items That I Am Keeping:
  1. I am keeping the gerry cans. I actually need them with my new project. If you just have to have them then we can talk. The Slee strap will be included.
  2. Patches. I’m keeping them. Cant quite figure out where to put them on the roll cage of the new project.

I am asking $27,000 for the truck.

As a reminder, I don’t need the money, I’m not in rush to sell and I won’t respond to lowball offers.

Please contact me with questions. You can PM me to exchange information and to get videos and other questions answered.
F4DBF6BA-2E9F-4257-8EBD-2DBA0C44C3AB.jpeg
DEADF89A-B634-4FCB-BED0-B2485913BF0C.jpeg
B8A54FF3-80DD-4CC2-A1D4-DC04700A8987.jpeg
8877BE2D-55EB-4557-95F9-091232B28B21.jpeg
7DA491B6-F4CB-4182-8A6B-86A15A32F55A.jpeg
123E03B1-9C7C-4EFC-A914-B0887CC150CA.jpeg

7A0ECC4F-5CD1-4C87-ABFE-425A36919B36.jpeg
A19B221C-7C99-4ABB-8077-D865C928892F.jpeg
D8E7A8D3-7C4F-4C4B-A919-03A5AF3317C4.jpeg
569461EA-23F5-4787-B4A5-80D8882A9042.jpeg

Last edited:
Pics to back this up? I don’t think anyone will want your truck without pics. Help yourself. I get you don’t need the money and no low ballers. The ad as it is won’t even get you the high ballers. Read some ads on this forum for some tips.

Pics to back this up? I don’t think anyone will want your truck without pics. Help yourself. I get you don’t need the money and no low ballers. The ad as it is won’t even get you the high ballers. Read some ads on this forum for some tips.
I just posted the ad. It takes time to upload pics. Please be patient.

More Photos

B02A94EF-142B-47F8-9891-E2E95A51A852.jpeg

10F9F11E-0D8E-4F71-8570-F288880F01FA.jpeg

4FACB4AD-F3A9-42CB-92AC-0343B67B8860.jpeg

F45C4679-9E53-4250-AE73-72BBF65F60A3.jpeg

33117B04-01AE-4DA8-A24A-8C8DEFD2BBF9.jpeg

5400B874-FEF3-49AC-A74C-87C3916C537F.jpeg

D459D8D7-03C3-48E2-9C06-16AF39AB36D4.jpeg

3F3F26DC-D456-4226-AAA3-DBFF82678515.jpeg

FA786FFC-1AE5-415D-8C12-397E57291BEB.jpeg

3FD3945B-08F4-49D8-A6C0-E93D0D05E6FC.jpeg

And More
D9E2CA3B-08FA-4ABE-AE3E-580C091552B0.jpeg
BEDFFD2D-C4B3-4C85-AEFB-3321871822C3.jpeg
4AA4E119-727A-4E2E-A63A-94244DEE446C.jpeg
2E391E0E-CF5F-48B1-8379-8875883071DF.jpeg
7E3BC07D-268A-445C-B170-9452B132EE7D.jpeg
71336766-A1A9-45E1-8AAC-709F25C481A4.jpeg

23E6ACF4-A66A-4422-B746-259906DA8C73.jpeg
89C0394A-2C52-49F1-B121-D5B7768F2494.jpeg

Good luck with your sales. I have a heavily modified 91 similar to yours on 37s and i agree with your assessment above. I wouldnt trade it for a 4.5L

They are both great engines. I’ve owned both and the 3fe takes me back to the basic 4x4’s but with a slightly better level of comfort and the CJ5 my family had.
Good luck with your sales. I have a heavily modified 91 similar to yours on 37s and i agree with your assessment above. I wouldnt trade it for a 4.5L

Price drop $27k. Reasonable offers considered. I will be stripping the spare engine for parts to put in the spares bin soon.

Last edited:
7AF6C183-A9CC-4E5C-9D8A-5266BB669156.jpeg
B142CCF4-88F6-471B-8FA9-8BE4E571EBF2.jpeg

8B9731A8-3C17-492A-BA97-5A29B7E0FAF7.jpeg

Gorgeous & well-built rig IMO! GLWS
Thanks. A lot of effort. I can see sellers remorse hitting me when I see the rear end of it leave the neighborhood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom