Indestructible Toyota truck testimonial! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
If you only want to read about the 60/62 series, read no further. Sorry if some don't think this content is pertient, but I felt it was so good Toyota material.
Any way, there is a show on the Discovery Channel called "Top Gear". It is a British recorded show about anything on four wheels, right up my alley. Last night their last segment was about the "Indestructible Toyota truck". They took a rusted out 1985 Toyota pickup w/ diesel and 100K + miles as their example. They talked about how tough and durable Toyota's are and wanted to prove it right or wrong. So they put this truck thru the paces, I'm not going to remember every test but I'll give you the highlights. The big one was they tethered it down in the ocean at low tide and watched the tide swallow it. A tether broke and it ended up, up side down rolling around under the water and in the sand totally submerged for 5 hours. They pulled it out, had a mechanic work on it for 4o minutes and not replacing any parts the whole time and it fired up and ran fine. They had it do a free fall from above a guys head, at least 6 feet high. Dropped a travel trailer on top of it, then just drove the truck out from underneath it. They finished off by setting the interior on fire. After all this it still drove fine, looked like hell, but drove fine!! Great entertainment! Can we boast that we share parts with this truck!!??

sound like my old yamaha DT Endoro, Crossed a stream, ended up on its side , under water, while the engine was running. sucked water into the cylinder, dirty water at that,. i though ti was a goner 15 miles in the trail. but out came the plug, and after more than a few kicks and a new plug installed, fired right up, and i kept going for the whole weekend.
maybe Yamaha will make a truck one day
hammer

Tom Walterhouse said:
If you only want to read about the 60/62 series, read no further. Sorry if some don't think this content is pertient, but I felt it was so good Toyota material.
Any way, there is a show on the Discovery Channel called "Top Gear". It is a British recorded show about anything on four wheels, right up my alley. Last night their last segment was about the "Indestructible Toyota truck". They took a rusted out 1985 Toyota pickup w/ diesel and 100K + miles as their example. They talked about how tough and durable Toyota's are and wanted to prove it right or wrong. So they put this truck thru the paces, I'm not going to remember every test but I'll give you the highlights. The big one was they tethered it down in the ocean at low tide and watched the tide swallow it. A tether broke and it ended up, up side down rolling around under the water and in the sand totally submerged for 5 hours. They pulled it out, had a mechanic work on it for 4o minutes and not replacing any parts the whole time and it fired up and ran fine. They had it do a free fall from above a guys head, at least 6 feet high. Dropped a travel trailer on top of it, then just drove the truck out from underneath it. They finished off by setting the interior on fire. After all this it still drove fine, looked like hell, but drove fine!! Great entertainment! Can we boast that we share parts with this truck!!??

how about when they collapse a high rise with it on top :eek:

Check the Search function. This made the rounds about a year ago, and they had both videos. The one with the collapsing building is cool. Building falls out from under it, crashes to the ground. They dig the truck out of the rubble, pry it open enough to get to the ignition, and fire it right up.

Hodag

Pretty cool. 60/62 tech? not really, but still fun to watch. Maybe it fuels the fire to keep cranking away on the ol'tractor engine. That's it... it's 60/62 tech motivation!

Thanks for the post.

ok lets change it to 60s tech or stoires.....i drove my truck 12 hours one way and wheeled the hardest trails on the east coast for a week then drove home and went to work on monday with it.

hey low tide, everyone does that though. Let me know if yours catches on fire or falls 6ft off an obsticle then it's post worthy! :flipoff2:

obsticle? is this a course? how about a rock? lil girly man!!!

They're all courses and obsticles. Oh wait sorry, I see the problem, let me help you sound it out OB.STI.CLE. It's a toughy all right. North FLorida? Woudl it help you understand the big words if there was banjo music on this forum?

Cumon' I'm just kidding, (70%). Many of the trails out here are "laid out" LIke the one in your pic. Nice wheeling by the way. The rocks are all original but they have been manipulated to make an easy or challanging passage. Obsitlce rock whatever, as long as you can get out and put a few dents in the truck. that's what matters.
lowtiderider.jpg

Last edited:
huh dude? those are stream beds. who the heck would drag that many boulders up into the middle of nowhere? it would cost millions and millions of dollars. those poles are up so we dont drive our trucks off into the woods to by pass the rocks.....this is before the rock called jaws. 1 truck made it up with out winching that day...i was in over my head on that trail the 45 that was in front of me was fully locked and on 39.5s and the exo 80 had 37s followed by spank and his 4 linked 40. everyone of us winched.

ahhh i typed to much to delete it but i just noticed you used the word challenging......and psst. there is no banjo music on the beach dude. just surfer tunes and waves.....

Glad you have a sense of humor. ONe of the worst character traits to have is to take ones self to seriously. Nice wheelin' You should post more pics.
CB

BTW I did not meanto imply that that stream bed was "created" just that it is not as it was originally, Anything unpassable was removed and in some areas rocks were added to make it more CHALLENGING (better?). If you deny that you are just being argumentative. The take home message of this thread, however, is that OUR trucks can take a lot of sheet and our discussion of course/trail origination is a testament to that.

So how about that weather?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom