independent locker switch? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is their a way to set up the lockers independently so that for example front is locked without the rear locked. Any nice switches, or tips?

have a look at the OEM wiring diagram.
I imagine that it could be done easily with 2 on/off switches.
Not that you may want to run the front without the rear very often, though...

add: had a look the 97 EWD. Maybe not so obvious. There are 2 signals coming out of the switch. One 12V for rear alone and then in addition another 12V for both front and rear. But these are going to the ECU so who knows what's going on in there. Maybe the second signal is only for the front control but there could also be some logic in there. You could bypass the ECU I suppose but that's getting complicated cuz the lights are commanded by the ECU too apparently...

Why would you want to do that? I think you will break parts.

Dont see how it would break more parts that way, but dont see much use for it either. I only have a locked rear.....and have found some soft spots a locked front would be handy. Just curious why youd like independant control?

I felt it may help in tight soft stuff, in turns it may let the front come around without the rear wanting to push it straight? Their may be no benefit, maybe a Jeoeapar (can’t say the J word) who has a Rubicon would have some input.

How would you lock both diffs with the switch if you converted it to only lock the front when the switch was turned to the rr/fr slot? In order to lock both diffs independently you would need 2 switches. One switch just won't do. Only if you added a position to the rotary switch that represented both diffs locked would this switch work to independently lock the diffs i.e. the stock switch doesn't have enough positionts to allow the front diff to be independently locked from the rear.

yes two switches is what i ment by independant lockers. three options instead of two. front , rear or front and rear.

if you add in the CDL switch there would 7 different locker combinations. whee

The factory selector switch won't allow independent operation. It's internally wired that way. HOwever, you can use two switches as mentioned above to control your lockers. On my previous rig I had independent air locker switches (used pneumatic switches). On the 80, I thought I'd miss that control using the oem selector switch but haven't yet.

If you use ARB's harness then you'll be forced to engage the rear first then front. Your best bet is to simply install your own lighted switch for independent control.

Good luck.

Ali

The Rubi locks the same way - rear first, then the front.

Ali

alia176 said:
If you use ARB's harness then you'll be forced to engage the rear first then front. Your best bet is to simply install your own lighted switch for independent control.

Good luck.

Ali

Ali

Mild hi/jack

Ali is this something new with ARB? My ARB harness permitts independent control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom