Independant lockers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.greatlakeswaterjetinc.com
Has anyone made there lockers operate seperatly? Front engaged/rear open. I had it with an Atlas before for front dig but didn't know about doing it on my 80.

With the Atlas you can disconnect the front or rear driveshaft. Not the same as activating the front locker on it's own. However you can do it with some creative wiring.

If you plan to run the front locker without the rear I would make sure you upgrade the front birfields and axles otherwise you are sure to break them, depending on tire size that you are running.

Christo, you are correct about the Atlas. Too early in the morning and not enough coffee. Besides having front and rear lockers seperate, is there any way to twin stick the 80 t-case?

FB Fabworks said:
is there any way to twin stick the 80 t-case?

the dana cases have a seperate high/low gear set and shift fork for each driveshaft. the HF2AV has one high/neutral/low gear set and shifter for both shafts so no twin stick.

There is no real advantage to running just the front locked. You will just break more parts. And you won't be able to steer. Locking the rear is a better option.

I'm already locked front and rear. I just wanted the option for front dig if possible. In my comp buggy it was helpfull to get around some things and to turn the vehicle on a dime. You do this with cutting brakes on the rear and spin the front.

Would that be possible in an 80?

Well the locker sequence is in the switch, not only is the front locker only physically available after the rear but also the front switch is only powered down stream from the rear switch.

Looking at the EWD and assuming there is nothing in the locker ECU to prevent front only then replacing the rotary switch with 2 SPST switches should do it. if the locker ECu still prevents it you are going to have to replace it with some realys and a bit of a circuit.

Not sure it will help you much though, without a disconnected rear drive you are not going to get as much of that effect as you are used to.

PKP80, I'm already locked front and rear. I guess my original question should have been if there is any way to twin stick the 80 transfer case. RavenTai, I didn't think about a rear driveline disconnect. Jesse at High Angle Driveline may have something. I'll give him a ring.

The stock 80 case is can work in stock form. You would however need modify the brake system with a line lock or steering brake set up to lock just one axle front or rear.

if you want to use just the front axle to power around in a tight corner you would need to lock the brakes on the rear axle, leave the transfer case in open and the front axle will have power to drag the front around.

like someone said before, you will need to strenthen the axle if you expect it to drag the heavy 80 aroung like a comp buggy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom