Increase 2f horsepower (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No off the grid living here. My wife's idea of camping includes pushing a button to start the coffee then have a hot shower before leaving the bedroom. A cabin was the only way to handle that. Been -18 here as well. Heat with a wood stove so keeping warm is not a problem. Garage isn't heated. It's fairly new construction and we'll insulated. Even though we are in a Ponderosa Pine forest we are still considered high desert so while it's cold at night it warms up during the day. It's the temperature swings that has always kept the garage about freezing. Keep a thermometer in there that keeps a record of the high and low temperature.

Never explored Eastern Arizona. Your area does sound interesting. Maybe wait until have a five speed installed in my 79. Thinking coming from the north would keep the trip in the high country verses coming up from the south. Been to Safford a few times and that not a very interesting drive to get there from Phoenix. Mainly desert and farm land.

Here is a few post from another thread.
Guru's (@FJ60Cam @wngrog @GA Architect and others!),

I'm trying to resolve a couple slight annoyances that I'm having with my Sniper.

1) When the 40 is cold or warm and I decelerate to a stop, the AFR jumps up to 18-20 while the idle goes to about 75 less than target. IAC is zero during that time. It doesn't stall but sure feels close before it catches itself
-I have adjusted the idle ramp down delay to hang slightly longer with no change. I also changed the cam setting to mild. Shots in the dark if nothing else per Cameron's guidance to another post.

2) During the initial start I have to crank it for about 8 seconds before it fully fires off. The engine will give one good attempt, but seems like it may not be getting enough gas then continues to turn over before starting.
-I have adjusted the prime to 150% with no change

I wanted to consult the wealth of knowledge before I play with settings and make the issues worse. Happy to provide whatever extra data that would help with the troubleshooting. Thanks in advance for the help gents!

That AFR spike is so common. I have one that does it and 2 that don’t. Exact same settings. Mine actually dies most of the time on the first stop sign on my road so the fact that yours does not die is actually ...... ok?

Keep bumping that prime. I had one that did that and I think I have the prime at about 200 now and it worked.

I’ve found on one that will fire but not start that if I complety recycle the key for a fresh prime it will start on try two every time.

it’s crazy I have 3 trucks with Snipers with mostly the same setup and all 3 have their own quirks.

Something bro think about. I have only talked in person one time who had installed a sniper in his FJ60. Sounds like a good system but sounded like something I would maybe install and wire up but would have someone else do the fine tuning as it is really something I have very little interest in. One of the advantages of the old cruisers pretty easy work on.

If you are good with an Aisin carb which I am sure you are but 99.6% of the Land Cruiser owners are not I will concede. That said I have 2 snipers of my 3 that literally I have never done anything to after initial tube. Nothing. Stock settings. Drive.

I’m a long way from efi. Have a lot to do before I get there, but it’s on the list of ideas. Will probably happen, but after lift, brakes, new 33’s, paint, interior, new gear oil all around, etc. EFI and ac are a little down the line. Try to be complete in 2 years. Hope sooner.

My 12/68 FJ40 had an F with headers and pertonix, Chenoweth carb on 31 inch tires. Would do 80 on the flat but blew the engine trying to do 60 to 65 on a five hour trip. Recently swapped in an 86 2F with a chenoweth recurved 60 distributor, F intake and a chenoweth 73 carb and headers. Will do 80 on a flat and run 60 to 65 real easy if you can stand the noise. Plan on swapping in 60 series diffs with 370s, will get better road manners and lower rpms. Will lose a bit on start ups but want a better all around driver. I also have a 72 with an 86 2F with headers and a sniper and 4 speed on 33s and a 2 1/2 inch exhaust. Haven't had it out but I think it will run 65 to 70 on the highway all day long. 2F with the right distributor, and carb, or sniper, desmogged is a nice option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom