Inability to open rear tailgate with cargo barrier installed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
WARNING if you have a cargo barrier Inability to open rear tailgate

Probably not as big concern for you US folk as I believe not many have cargo barriers installed. The problem is that the lock mechanism of the rear tailgate is electricaly actuated only, and if a piece of luggage in the rear of your vehicle falls onto the lock mechanism near the inside door handle, the electrics are not strong enough to over power the lock and unlock it. Situation is the rear of your vehicle is chock full of luggage and you can't get it open. (This has happened to me 3 times even with careful luggage placement) I have disconnected the arm inside the tailgate lock mechanism for the moment (it still locks externally) so the lock latch does nothing if luggage falls on it, although I intend to hook up a piece of fishing trace to the internal of the latch and tape it to the door, just in case the kids get in there and shut/lock the door. This way they will still be able to pull the fishing trace loop and unlock the door if it becomes locked somehow accidently. In the picture attached, the arrow points to the locking latch, if luggage pushes against this, then you cannot open the rear door.

Attachments

• latch.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 595
Last edited:
sheesh!
here we were led to believe that Aussies were the last real He-men / frontier country / serious wheelers left, and you guys worry about scuffing your luggage and hampering door access! :D

Thread revival- used my new cargo system for the first tme today, and Murphy was in the third row. Got to the in-laws and yep, can't get into the rear. Was able to get up to speed and jam the brakes to move the luggage, but I'll have to figure out another way. Ideas?

I removed the actuator arm linked to the knob as shown. I never fitted the piece of emergency wire. I haven't had a problem since, but lots of times the luggage all spews out on the ground when I open the gate, so if I didn't do this I would be stuck. It's not a big job to remove, I have put it in the shed with other bits to refit before I sell it.

What about a LabRak or Slee custom guard that bolts to the grab handle location? That way it still can be done manually incase someone gets locked in there? It's nice to be able to unlock when you're sleeping inside but, just like 100TD and 1407, I've had things fall up against it and the times that has happened, there's been too much stuff in my truck to be able to climb back there and do it. Had to do the emergency braking procedure.

Slightly off topic, but the few times I've used my third row with passengers I've wondered how safe it is for them. The rear bumper swing arms make a rear emergency escape a no-go. If something bad happened n the middle of the truck they'd be stuck. Wasn't someone working on a tilt up wing window retrofit?

What about a LabRak or Slee custom guard that bolts to the grab handle location? That way it still can be done manually incase someone gets locked in there? It's nice to be able to unlock when you're sleeping inside but, just like 100TD and 1407, I've had things fall up against it and the times that has happened, there's been too much stuff in my truck to be able to climb back there and do it. Had to do the emergency braking procedure.

Is there something that already exists? I couldn't find anything...

A simple (albeit Polish) answer might be to screw on a two post drawer pull that arcs over the lock actuator. Brushed stainless "ellipsy" ones are available at every Lowes for about 3 bucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom