In the middle of reupholstering my seats, how are the headrest mounts removed? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, reupholstering is a bit of a strong word. I’m replacing my seat covers with the Cruiser Corps ones and I’ve hit a bit of a snag, the plastic mounts for the headrest won’t come off and I don’t want to break them. I have to take the whole back cover off since it’s really worn. How are they supposed to come off?
BDA0EF25-A111-4798-AE07-548FD87D798E.jpeg

On a side note, all of the fabric was held on with lopped metal rings that I had to get off with pliers, how are those supposed to be reattached?

E15DBB84-AE37-4EC1-971F-AC933293078A.jpeg

I *think* there are springy tabs at the base of the mount. Try sticking a narrow plastic strip down the side & pushing towards the center.

you can order hog rings and the pliers that crimp them together on ebay or Amazon. Worth it.

For the headrests, they are clipped to the steel back frame about 3-1/2" down from the top. You need to start removing the seat back upholstery from the bottom, rolling it up until you can remove a 1/8" hardboard cover. After that's off, you can reach in and squeeze the tabs that hold the clips.

Here's a picture with the headrests clips sitting on top of the seat. And hog ring pliers there too.

IMG_20190316_152315.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a photo of the seat back frame, sans upholstery or foam to give you an idea of where things are.

While you have this apart, look for cracks in the welds at the bottom of the seat back frame. See second picture of where I had mine welded up.

IMG_20190316_112418.jpg

IMG_20190316_112430.jpg

Well, I managed to get mine off following those directions but I found that my cardboard backing was pretty much sawdust. I'll probably have to cut a new one for each or go without.

Here is my thread on replacing my seat cushions with the ones from SOR. I also took some rust off the base and spray painted it black again where the paint had come off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom