In Tank Pump - 1982 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Attended cruise Moab this last week and had some fuel delivery issues. I have a Vortec 5.3 with an external pump. Pump kept getting hot and failing, dumping cool water on it seemed to solve the problem until it heated up again. I was told the Aeromotive Phantom 340 in tank pump is the way to go. Does anyone have any tips, tricks, or pics on this install. I have the larger stock tank for the 1982 FJ40. Thanks all!

I followed @reddingcruiser lead and used an intank pump out of a Tahoe(2004?). It’s already matched to the 5.3, which made sense to me. Additionally, I like the idea of being able to go into most parts stores and they’ll have a replacement. It does require cutting a tank, which I would not go into lightly. It’s doable and the end result has worked well for me. I can hear it before I engage the starter, if that’s the only time. Your tank is different than mine(73), so you’d need to find out how deep yours is.

I’ve been thinking about this for my 1980, but haven’t looked too closely yet.

But like Siplife, I put in the one from Mosley in my 1978. Works great. But not sure how it would work on 79+ tanks. On the pre-79 tubs, the fuel tank is basically square and sits in the cab for easy access.

The 79+ Tank is shaped differently with a shallow portion and a deeper portion. Since they mount underneath the tub, you may need to cut a hole in the floor of your cruiser to give access and a place to put it in the tank. And you’d need a pump deep enough for the tank. Then you need to reroute fuel lines to it between the tank and the tub floor.

But if you figure it out, I’m watching to see as I’d like to do it also. Love how it works on my 1978.

I used the Holley Retrofit pump 12-137 for my 6.0L LS swap. It's been fantastic so far. I could have used the lower LPH version, however, I wanted to future proof in case I decide to run e85 in the future.

I've been very happy. I've not done Moab or anything serious, but here on our local trails I've had it pretty steep and off camber without issue. It comes with the HydraMat to combat fuel starvation. Some day I'll put it to the full test, but so far I'm very happy with it and it's not too loud after initial prime when then engine isn't running yet.

340 is way over the top for a 5.3. I like using OEM Toyota/Denso pumps from 2UZ Toyotas

Also depends on what regulator you're going to be running. A Corvette FPR Filter combo. (Wix 33737) Works great with a 190 or 255 LPH pump. There are reports that anything more overpowers them and fails to regulate pressure adequately.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom