In Tank Fuel Pump on 1982 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am considering installing a Holly Sniper 2300 on my FJ40 and the underhood portion of the install is straight forward. I am hung-up on how to address the electrical fuel pump. I think the in tank pump is the best option since the external pumps are known to fail but I am hesitant to cut a new OEM tank. Also, I do not know the location for the baffles in the tank or the best place to install the pump in the tank.

Has anyone installed a fuel pump in a 1982 OEM FJ40 tank?
If so, where is the best place to avoid the internal baffles.
Any thoughts on the Holley Sniper Retrofit Fuel Module with Return? Holley Sniper 19-350 Sniper Diecast 340 LPH In-Tank RetroFit Fuel Module w/Return - https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/fuel_pumps_regulators_and_filters/fuel_pumps/efi_fuel_pumps/in-tank_retro-fit_fuel_module/parts/19-350

I assume you would block off the stock feed and return lines on the OEM tank.

Thank you in advance for your help and advice.

John

Here is my take on it.

Ive also tried both the Denso and Walbro Pumps in the tank. Denso is quieter* but has a higher-pitched squeal that I just picked on way too easily. Walbro is a lower hum but was downed away in my exhaust when driving. So was quiet in that regard. But recently it's changed pitch a bit and can notice it if I listen for it. Ive heard TRE is a good option.

The Sniper unit looks nice, but I just went with what I had seen been used successfully before.

I know both @Skreddy and @wngrog have good write-ups also, but they can maybe link easier than I can.

Last edited:
The 82 tank has two ports on top, one for the fuel gauge float and other for fuel suction/fuel return.

You can easily add the Holley fuel module where the factory suction/return port is. Some minor fab is likely required to get the new fuel module flange to seat in the tank. A radiator shop or a decent welder can help you.

There is plenty of room in the tank to add the in-tank pump at this location without having clearance issues with factory baffling. I just did an 80 myself and it went smoothly.

I used the in tank pump from Mosley which comes with a Denso pump. It's plenty quite. A lot of people on here talk about in-tank pump noise but I don't think you hear it much on a 79 and newer truck because the tank is further back and is outside of the cab as opposed to the earlier model trucks.

Tha
The 82 tank has two ports on top, one for the fuel gauge float and other for fuel suction/fuel return.

You can easily add the Holley fuel module where the factory suction/return port is. Some minor fab is likely required to get the new fuel module flange to seat in the tank. A radiator shop or a decent welder can help you.

There is plenty of room in the tank to add the in-tank pump at this location without having clearance issues with factory baffling. I just did an 80 myself and it went smoothly.

I used the in tank pump from Mosley which comes with a Denso pump. It's plenty quiet. A lot of people on here talk about in-tank pump noise but I don't think you hear it much on a 79 and newer truck because the tank is further back and is outside of the cab as opposed to the earlier model trucks.
Thank you for the great information. What about the Holley sniper fuel pump?

SNIPER DIECAST 340 LPH IN-TANK RETROFIT FUEL MODULE W/RETURN​

In reading the install instructions, there is no ring to weld on.

I would recommend a kit with a good steel flange like Mosely or Tanks Inc offers. You will need a solid mounting surface. IIRC the factory flange gets cut out, it's too small in diameter and the new one gets welded in place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom