In-tank diesel pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tank5

SILVER Star
Threads
I have an 80 series with a 6bt Cummins in it. I would like to block off the lift pump and install a low pressure high flow fuel pump in the 80 tank. I have searched here and google without much luck. The Cummins has some slight performance mods, larger injectors, 3200 spring, Ir intake and such but nothing huge.

Is there a suitable submergible pump to for a diesel available?

I'm also doing this swap, and was debating that as well. Have you deleted the fuel heater yet? Why not just use a FASS or an AirDog? If you use either of those you can also remove the factory fuel / water seperator. The only downside is they also take up space. but the plus side is at least if it breaks you don't have to drop the tank to replace it?

My swap is done. I don't know if it had a fuel heater or not. The grid heater is still intact.

I am trying to go with tank mounted electric pump because I have always understood them to be more reliable, than an external pump. If I can find a solid intake pump it would be cleaner than all the extra after market fass or airdog units. I don't want it to stick below the frame rail either and become a target off road.

In the 80 I believe I can access the tank through tge cab in the floor access, so I don't have to drop the tank.

The out of sight out of mind aspect to the in tank setup is the most appealing to me, for sure. All the extra stuff associated with the aftermarket ones is a pretty big drawback. I wasn't aware that there might be an access port in the cab, but I've never looked for one to think about it lol. With that being the case - i'm pretty sure the later model 24 valve's had an in tank fuel pump and no lift pump, and it could probably be made to fit in the cruiser's tank pretty easily.

Do you have a tank for a gas rig, or one from a diesel? (......are they even different between the two?)

I've been told the fuel heaters were prone to "leaking" but in a way that allows air in and don't leak fuel, which causes people to think their fuel pumps are failing.

I spoke to one of the diesel performance shops and was looking into if I could use a intank pump from a later 24 valve Cummins. He said the 24 valve Cummins pumps work at a lower psi. He said the 12 valve Cummins needs a 15-16 psi pump. He told me that some 94-98 Cummins Dodges came with a pump in the tank and I should look for one of those. I have searched on line for it without success. I have not tried a dodge dealer ship yet.

The tank in my 80 is from a gas rig but with the pump removed.

A little more research I found the 94 -98 Dodge with Cummins came with a sending unit with pump in the tank. The complete sending unit runs around 200 but then you have to take it appart to seperate the pump. I am hoping to find just a pump that I can fit to the 80 sending unit. Still looking but this is my best option so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom