In search of Mechanic (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been working on trying to rebuild the front axle. Everything going okay until I tried to break apart the passenger front Birf. I had no luck after trying everything. Took it to a local shop, they tried for a little bit but didn't have any luck who said try Axle Exchange in Des Moines. They didn't have any luck either. So now I am at either Toyota of Des moines or somebody else if anybody has any ideas?

Help!!!

You are trying to get the birf off of the axle shaft?

If so, I have always used a pipe that the axle slides through, but not large enough in diameter to hit the birf balls.

@erics is a do it yourself kind of guy up in Des Moines, I'm sure he has had tons of these apart. Don't know any known mechanics in that area.

Good Luck

Last edited:
You are trying to get the birf off of the axle shaft?

If so, I have always used a pipe that the axle slides through, but not large enough in diameter to hit the birf balls.

@erics is a do it yourself kind of guy up in Des Moines, I'm sure he has had tons of these apart. Don't know any known mechanics in that area.

Good Luck

Yeah I have tried all of it. Started out with the ABS plastic, no luck. Switched to a galvanized steel pipe and no luck. Placed it in a vice and hit with the brass drift and now no luck at the axle shop. They said just to put it back in as it's in good working order, just re grease and I will be good. May just give up on the idea of switching sides for now and leave it alone.

I agree it doesn't need to come apart now, or ever. Not a problem, you would probably ruin the ring inside anyway.

We have plenty of used birfs and axles here local, if you plan to wheel just carry a short side and birf together with you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom