In Salt Lake Need help throttle body (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sitting at Lowe’s in a 97 LX 450. I was getting an error code for a misfire on cylinder four I looked for vacuum leaks found a big one but didn’t change much. Maybe ran a little smoother. So replaced the spark plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor. As I was getting ready to test it, I noticed that the large lower cable go into the throttlebody was disconnected with a small black rubber stopper on it and the loose and with nothing else. I’m not sure what this attaches to I think it’s the transmission kickdown cable but I can’t see you in there. Well enough old eyes aren’t helping me any suggestions? This is the largest of the three cables that loops in below the other two.

I leave my truck here in storage and from the Midwest as I have a place up near fish lake.

Sitting at Lowe’s in a 97 LX 450. I was getting an error code for a misfire on cylinder four I looked for vacuum leaks found a big one but didn’t change much. Maybe ran a little smoother. So replaced the spark plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor. As I was getting ready to test it, I noticed that the large lower cable go into the throttlebody was disconnected with a small black rubber stopper on it and the loose and with nothing else. I’m not sure what this attaches to I think it’s the transmission kickdown cable but I can’t see you in there. Well enough old eyes aren’t helping me any suggestions? This is the largest of the three cables that loops in below the other two.

I leave my truck here in storage and from the Midwest as I have a place up near fish lake.
You can see the cable here. Works fine just fell off. And can’t easily see where to attach it or if a stop is missing on the end.

Yes, I would have to mash the pedal to get it to downshift so was probably getting lose for a while.

2E45D39F-A18A-43AE-9F1B-C533F7CB15B1.jpeg

When I fiddled with my throttle body, i removed the air intake tube and air filter housing. It allows you to stand on the frame rail and see it and work at it. Still not easy. I'm in N salt lake. I can give you a hand on it tmrw if you need.

Appreciate it. Still getting a misfire code on cylinder 4. So module wiring or something else. I’mon a time schedule so had to out it in storage. May take it to divinity on my way back. Greatly appreciate the offer to help.

The cable that isn't attached to the Throttle Body is the Throttle Cable (Transmission). Looking at the one photo in Post #2 above (out of focus) it appears that the cylindrical lug ("barrel nipple") at the end of the cable is missing (fell off/pulled out). That small lug/nipple is what attaches the cable to the Throttle Body.

The Transmission Throttle cable is NLA so your only options would be finding a used cable or repair what you got.

Below are a couple of photos for reference showing the three cables going to the TB, In the first photo from the top down:

Cruise Control
Throttle Cable (Transmission) (normally with a whitish cloth wrapping)
Accelerator Cable.

FZJ80 Throttle Body and cables top down view 2.png

Bottom photo is a different view from above: left to right,
Accelerator Cable
Throttle Cable (Transmission)
Cruise Control Cable

(Note the Throttle cable normally has a off-white wrapping but the one in the photos has been covered with a black Marine grade adhesive lined heat shrink tubing)
FZJ80 Throttle Body and cables top down view.png

Here's a link to various methods to repair the end of the cable.

Here's one method:

And another:

Photo showing the lug (barrel nipple) at the end of the cable:

FZJ80 Throttle Cable end.jpg

Last edited:
Great info. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom