In praise of oil separator? Pinging gone (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

little_joe

SILVER Star
Threads
The oil separator in the PCV hose mod.

It wasn't until talking with a fellow 'Mudder last night that I realized my low-rpm pinging is completely gone.

I have been filling up at the same gas station for 2.5 yrs, except when out of town - so that variable is out.

I've not done any other mods or repairs that affect engine performance, unless a valve cover gasket falls in that category.

I've continued with my usual service routine, using the exact same fluids, parts, etc.

Since installing the oil separator, we've had temps from the 40s to the upper 90s. Pinging used to occur in warm weather.

So the only change is the oil separator (the Kobalt model).

After driving a few weeks then doing a +500-mile round trip, the reservoir was 1/2 full. I emptied it and have been doing daily commute / weekend driving and it is very slowly filling again, it's probably at 1/8 full since May 1.

Now I may be imagining things or there may be some strange cosmic event going on, but it seems to me the drastic reduction in oil making it to the intake manifold, courtesy of the separator, solved a major problem.

Your thoughts?

I have been running a separator for about 2 years now and I wish my low rpm pings would go away, I have learned to live with it.
I am glad all that oil is not going in my intake anymore that is for sure.
Every truck will respond differently I guess
Glad it solved a problem for you Joe

Possible...

I have noticed that the engine has been running smoother. I got the one from JEGS few months back, so far so good.

But a low RPM ping could be an indication of some thing else, possibly burnt wiring harness and/or some thing else. If it comes back, I'd check on it. I say burnt wiring harness because when I started getting P0306 and all the misfiring codes back when before when I did my HG, the weather was warm, actually it was pretty hot IIRC. I had AC running. Eventually I discovered that my engine harness was burnt out near the EGR that had also spread into the injectors' wires. and of course the HG was blown too. That;s just worst case scenario, but my theory and thoughts. :cheers:

No EGR here and the harness looks like new and all the other wiring and no codes. I am not going to throw money at it.
The truck runs great so I wont even bother with it.

Slight thread drift ahead------------------------>

What did you use to "stop up" the bottom of the Kobalt unit? I've had it sitting in my center console for over a month now, just waiting for me to finish the job. Got pics? Now, thread drift ceased-------------------<

Glad to hear it's working!

Slight thread drift ahead------------------------>

What did you use to "stop up" the bottom of the Kobalt unit? I've had it sitting in my center console for over a month now, just waiting for me to finish the job. Got pics? Now, thread drift ceased-------------------<

Glad to hear it's working!

I plugged mine with solder. Check out the link little Joe put in the first post of this thread for more ideas.

I used JB Weld in my second reservoir. So far it works great.

2 part epoxy on mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom