In need of synchro part #s for G54. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Came to the conclusion that the fourth gear (input shaft) synchronizer is not working. Marlin crawler will not sell me a new synchro, nor could provide the part number for it.

I am finding that I am having a hard time getting this through Toyota as this is a Marlin L50HD transmission (L50 with a G54 gearset) installed in a '82 diesel, with a 3L diesel engine, so the VIN does me no good. As far as I can gather the G54 was available in the '86 - '88 with the 22R engine, would this be right? Just trying to get as much info as I can to get the right unit.

As I'm sure everyone has noticed, Toyota has been nice enough to systematically remove any trace of EPC diagrams off the web. Part #'s are still available, but the synchro rings are listed as "#1, (2 required) #2 (2 required), and #3 (1 required)", but there is no way of telling which of these is the right one for the input shaft (fourth gear). Everything the Toyota guy looked up came back with W series transmissions, but from what I looked at the W and G synchronizers share the same part #s:

#1 synchro ring, 33367-22021
#2 synchro ring, 33368-20013
#3 synchro ring, 33367-14010

Anyone have the means to look this up difinitively?
Or, does anyone have a unit with the stock G54 and maybe a VIN I could use to look this up?

Last edited:
Forget the VIN... Just run it as a truck that had the G54 in it...

Unless the guy flat out just won't look it up w/o a VIN... In that case I'd tell him to take a fling leap...

I wish it were that simple. He looks it up and it comes up with about 4 or 5 different transmissions. A VIN would narrow it down perfectly.

This is a tough one. I can't find any reference to a G54 on any vehicle. Would you know what series number it is? RN##, LN##, etc. I'm finding lots of cross-references to those numbers, but I can't confirm they specifically work in a G54.

Hilux, you've obviously never used the Toyota software. It's simply not that easy. STFU.

Hilux, you've obviously never used the Toyota software. It's simply not that easy. STFU.

Wow, that's putting it mildly...

No, but I have gone to the dealer and talked to parts guys? Which is what I though Chang did...?

Bent outta shape much?

Chang, if I can remember it, pull-a-part is right next to the emissions place I have to go to tomorrow... I'll drop by and see if they got a Vin...

I've got 2 G52's sitting here though...

Last edited:
I have all the software. You can't search by the tranny type, you can only search by primary model name, then you really need the frame number (RN50, RN55, etc). Then you can drill way down in and see what tranny came in those models. I've tried every model in that year range for both trucks and 4Runners, 22R engine (CBR code), and G series tranny. So far all I'm finding is G52 or G57 trannys. I've even tried other markets (JPN, CAN, etc).

Close but no cigar.

You gotta realize that the guy behind the counter can't find everything, the software isn't magic. Without a VIN, it's really limited, this is by design, so they don't give you the wrong stuff. It gets much worse when you're hunting parts for a 20+ YO truck that they probably didn't plan to last this long.

I'm pretty sure that a G54 is just a G52 with heavy duty bearings, the syncros should be the same, and Marlin Crawler should be able to tell you if that's right. The G52 came behind 22R carbed engines from 84ish to 87ish

I tend to believe this, as I did find a cross for a part number that shows the G52 and G54 use the same cases and gasket sets.

I had a G52 in my '84.

I can't be sure if the 52 and the 54 stuff is interchangeable.
I can get part listings, but no diagrams.
The above #s were for a 1986 RN66L-MSEK SR5 Canadian unit

I've looked this up as a '87 LN56L MDK (Canadian unit, 2L diesel) and got:

1- 33368-20012
2- 33367-14010
3- 33367-14010

Which are the same #s for a '87 RN50L LRA, and a '87 RN66L-MDA.
There is no differentiation between that which has a G54 and a G52, you can only specify "W" or "G" transmission. This is the same problem the Toyota guy was having, mind you this was over the phone.

And without the corresponding diagrams, I can't tell which synchro set goes on what gear. Is the odd one out for fifth, or is it for the input shaft?

edit:
Indeed the 52 and 54 were basically the same deal, the 54 had a lower first gear and a slightly taller fifth gear in addition to heftier bearings and such.
And my main problem is that the boys at Marlin would give me absolutely no information, other than that it is a G54 gearset.

Last edited:
IF this page is correct, it has lower 1st gear than a R151f... And IIRC, a slightly deeper OD...

Toyota G transmission - G54

# First Gear: 4.452:1
# Second Gear: 2.398:1
# Third Gear: 1.414:1
# Fourth Gear: 1.00:1
# Fifth Gear: 0.802:1

so I don't see what all the R151 craze is all about...

No, sorry... But if P-a-P's got one I'll get it to you tomorrow...

Ok, I think I got it sorted out, maybe.
From all the little bits gathered here, and looking elsewhere, the G52 was an option in the US only for '84-'85. The G54 was available from '86-'88. The G synchros available before '86 share the same #s as those available after '85. So, it seems they are interchangeable and this is probably why no transmission number is listed, just series. But it's not always easy to tell with these guys, especially with an incomplete EPC at my disposal. Friggin' buttholes, that thing was a godsend for those of us with JDM and Aussie units.
Thanks for the clues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom