In need of a new headliner! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The headliner in my FJ60 is basically crap and needs to be replace. I can get a kit online but how hard is it to install myself? Is this something that needs to be done by a professional? Are there any other options i can do for a headliner? And what about all the side molding and trim?

I installed one in a 40, but that was with the lid up-side down on the garage floor. I would guess that installing on in a 60 would be a real PITA.

I have also rolled on a "headliner" made out of Durabak bed liner. Again, in a 40, but I would attampt this before trying to install a cloth one. Might not be you cup of tea, however. I'd drive the rig by a custom upholstry shop and get a quote.

just looking at it makes me cringe :eek:

I remember a thread stating that windshield removal was required to do it properly :eek:

Just did this last Fall with a Spector reproduction headlinder. Yes, you have to pull the glass, which means new windshield gasket,sealant, etc. And when you pull the cord installing the glass, it's very difficult not to leave a few wrinkles near the top on the windshield. This was with a pro glass installer also! Cest la vie! Looks better than before, but not "brandy new perfect" as I was hoping... Next time I will try and do it myself, with a friend to help and a dry warm place to work, it should be doable and come out pretty well.

Good luck

On my 40 I used the 1/2" closed cell camping pads you can buy from Walmart, then installed some glue down carpet you can get from Home Depot over the foam. Used contact cement, it has been up there for 5 years without any problems. This setup keeps it cool in the summer and warm in the winter. Besides it's inexpensive.

I have a good fj60 headliner w/rods- rolled up in the shop That needs a better place to live if your still looking.

What would happen if i just take the entire headliner out? Would it look stupid? Any other options?

Dug this up...

While on the way back from the black hills my headliner basically collapsed. It seems that a couple of the rods broke. Somehow it seems that my headliner was being pressurized from my open window, that's all I can think of anyway. Can I pull the rear of the headliner down and replace the rods or am I screwed?

Yeah, you gotta pull all the glass and replace the gaskets. I bet it would ba very big pain. But, I don't know how good it would look to just rip it out? Mayabe not too bad, but if you are going to do it BigSur, be ready to spend some $$$ and time!

Good luck.

ben :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

What would happen if i just take the entire headliner out? Would it look stupid? Any other options?

Apart from the residual glue lines, odd foam bits, and roof ribs showing it might have a certain air about it, sort of that "Frankenstein-Industrial-I'm Ready For The Scrape Heap" look.... not to mention the amount of road noise and reverberation you will get from the raw roof in the big steel box :D

Better off replacing it and installing some spray-on sound deadener to the roof panel while you're at it - you'll be happier for it.

-dogboy- '87 FJ60

dogboy2 said:
Apart from the residual glue lines, odd foam bits, and roof ribs showing it might have a certain air about it, sort of that "Frankenstein-Industrial-I'm Ready For The Scrape Heap" look.... not to mention the amount of road noise and reverberation you will get from the raw roof in the big steel box :D

Better off replacing it and installing some spray-on sound deadener to the roof panel while you're at it - you'll be happier for it.

-dogboy- '87 FJ60

YEARS ago I saw a *restored* Canadian FJ62 where the owner had replaced the whole interior (I took pics of the Supra seats, but that was about it), and the headliner had been changed for what looked like marine carpeting. It looked different, definitely not stock, to me it looked really cool, and he told me he had Dynamat in between the ribs.

I've thought about this truck often as my own headliner slowly shrinks and pulls away from the corner, and despite trying every product on the market, I can't get some of the worst stains and marks off.

Personally, I wouldn't attempt something like a headliner replacement myself, that is something that I would leave to a pro interior shop.

Howsabout just using a spray-in/roll-on bedliner type chemical instead of a headliner?
This is the direction I'm kinda thinking of heading in, should mine ever start to come apart.

I'm bringin' this thread outta the moth balls. :flipoff2:
Just curious as to if BigSur, hj60, or anyone ever took out the headliner and left it out or replaced it with something like Line-X.
I'm about to Line-X my interior floor soon and the phrase "what the hell" keeps banging around my head. I'm "contemplating"... :D . Would love to hear what ever came of ya'll's thoughts regarding getting rid of the headliner all together or bedlining it. Thanks.

LT- I'm planning on replacing mine at some point. Going to add sound deadening up there and put up a little more hardy material but not a rhino-like liner.. dunno what or when that's going to happen. It's on the "that would be nice" list. If it were a pretty used 60 series I might go with rhino/line-x/hercu.. I would think it would be heavy? Haven't worked with it before.

Onto comments about older posts-

You don't necessarily need to replace gaskets. Only the ones that need replacing. If you're using a glass guy that screws up gaskets (in good shape) when he's doing a removal, find a different guy. Crappy old gaskets I can see. My guy is awesome, and drives a clean, stock FJ60.

My FJ62 had about 180k on it when we replaced the windshield. It had been replaced with some horrid off-clear almost slightly blue piece at some point, and had become rock peppered, pretty common in the Oregon high desert. Not sure if had the original gasket- it could have been as everything else inside and out on the truck looked and felt new (all bolts easy to remove, spotless engine bay, clean in the nooks and crannies, etc.). Anyways, the only reason I didn't reuse it is because I wanted to be rid of the chrome strip. All black is a Toyota part#.

Bring this thread back from the dead again...
Anyone have pictures of what it looks like without headliner? Or with line x on roof? or some other type of headliner? What is it like if you don't have headiner? Any noisier?

I guess you should have just started a new thread, that being said, I installed a SOR headliner 2 yrs ago. It's not factory perfect but it looks good. No headliner?? Be like riding in a beer can rolling down a gravel road, and you got a 3B, probably be worse than that! I'd not consider no headliner.

As others have said, it's a major pain to change the headliner, jzilla. There are some pictures on page 2 of my Frankie build. Maybe it will help you make a decision.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/698422-frankie-87-fj-60-refurbishment-plus-few-mods-2.html

The job is so labor intensive that paying an interior shop probably isn't an option. Part of what made mine take so long was reusing old material. Could be that using a new kit would save enough time to make it viable to hire someone.

Cruiserpilot is right that it would be extremely loud to not have a headliner installed. Plus shreds of the old jute insulation and glue will be stuck and look very bad. Stuff's near impossible to get off.

No kidding, that jute glue is friggin on there! I've used nearly everything but a grinding wheel and it basically hasn't budged. It'd probably take sandblasting to really get it off.
My interior's stripped right now and I'm considering going back with bedliner or something(after a few coats of Second Skin Spectrum though).

The jute glue is because 'gravity'. I paid a guy about $300 to install mine, and it took a him about 3+ hours. If you've stripped your roof, then your problem now is finding sound deadening that won't fall from the roof.
Did you keep your headliner rods? And did you mark them when you removed them? They have to go in the same places they came out of, as they are different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom