In Desperate Need of a Good Screwdriver (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m attempting to remove two Philips head screws from the interior of my 4 Runner. They are securing the hand hold used to lift yourself into the cabin sand seem to have been seriously torqued down at the factory.

I’ve exhausted my set of tools and the obvious options at Lowes. And while I don’t think I’ve stripped the heads yet, I can see that debacle coming down the road.

Does anyone have any wisdom before I continue?

Look up JIS screwdriver sizes. Different shape tip. Not sure if the newer Toyota stuff is still JIS like the 40's were, though. You can also grind the tip down on a regular phillips to approximate JIS. Vessel is a good name. You likely won't find anything JIS in the store. Wits End sells some stuff.

I just got this but haven't used it yet. It doubles as an impact driver.

Be careful on boggering up trim screws; they're not usually a good place to use heat for a helper. I might risk using a soldering iron to heat the screw if I had a replacement handhold. Worst case there would be stripping out the head, melting the plastic and having to cut it off to use vice grips on the screw head.

Another option is using a dremel to turn the phillips into a flathead slot, but that gets problematic if you've really torn up the head and weakened it.

Try removing rusty, 40-year old windshield hinge screws on a 40 if you want some fun. You first time will teach you to get an impact gun and the right JIS bit before you buy another 40.

Thanks - It would never have occurred to me that those weren't standard Philips screws. I'll take my VIN down to the dealer parts department tomorrow and make sure I get the correct size and some replacement screws.

In case anyone wants it for future reference here's a video of the difference between JIN and Phillips.

and some more info

JIS Crosshead Screwdrivers Vs Phillips?

It sometimes helps to put a screwdriver on it and hit it with a hammer; a few light blows. It will loosen the rust up a bit. If they have never been taken apart, JIS is the way to go. But if your cruiser is like mine, everything has already been taken apart and the screws are all messed up.

Almost all vintage Japanese motorcycles use JIS screws and Shimano still uses them for their derailleur limit screws - most motorcycle and bicycle shops dont know this. The big 4 MC companies mostly phased them out in the 80s 'cause hex head bolts are better and cross-tip screws in high torque applications suck and round out even with proper tools. I would be surprised if Toyota used them in 4 Runners, look for an indentation on the screw head; that indicates JIS. If they are, I have Hozan and Vessel JIS screw drivers and would rate both as good as Snap-On, plenty of use and no noticeable deformation to the blades. Probably best to use a manual impact driver with a #3 cross tip like the 1 in the link below.

If you come to the club meeting tomorrow I'll try to remember to bring 1

https://www.autozone.com/ratchets-s...surebilt-impact-driver-with-4-bits/529289_0_0

It's not a matter or rust (it's a 2001 4 Runner). My guess is that because it attaches the handle used to haul yourself into the seat they had a torque setting far beyond most of the other screws in the truck.

But I did get some JIS screwdrivers form Amazon as suggested above. They absolutely fit much better than a Phillips. But the top one is still stuck and the bottom one looks to be stripped.

I'm going to take a day or two to think about it.

But I'll probably get an Impact Driver like this

https://www.amazon.com/Reversible-7...pID=41x3-8vqEUL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

And some JIS bits like this (want to find a set that has all the various sizes though)

https://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-0...d=1520353155&sr=8-22&keywords=jis+screwdriver

Almost all vintage Japanese motorcycles use JIS screws and Shimano still uses them for their derailleur limit screws - most motorcycle and bicycle shops dont know this. The big 4 MC companies mostly phased them out in the 80s 'cause hex head bolts are better and cross-tip screws in high torque applications suck and round out even with proper tools. I would be surprised if Toyota used them in 4 Runners, look for an indentation on the screw head; that indicates JIS. If they are, I have Hozan and Vessel JIS screw drivers and would rate both as good as Snap-On, plenty of use and no noticeable deformation to the blades. Probably best to use a manual impact driver with a #3 cross tip like the 1 in the link below.

If you come to the club meeting tomorrow I'll try to remember to bring 1

https://www.autozone.com/ratchets-s...surebilt-impact-driver-with-4-bits/529289_0_0

I'll be at the meeting. If you could bring your impact driver with a JIS bit that would be a huge help.

Will do, I’ll bring a selection of bits. Did you manage to get any screws out? If so what size are they? I'm guessing m6, if you can figure out the size I might have some small-head m6 bolts to use as replacements

Both are still in there. But I'm going to have that panel down for a couple of weeks as I string cable through it so replacements aren't an issue as of now - thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom