In dash CB radio (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Pulled out the OEM deck & amp. Sold the deck & amp on this site.
Kept the OEM double din mounting bracket.

Using the OEM double din bracket, the Sony deck fit right in. The Cobra CB just needed 4 tiny screws.

2 banana job.

BTW, I was using the Cobra 75WXST all in 1 CB. They work well but did not like taking my eyes of the trail/dash to fumble with the squelch and volume controls all the time. With variances in vehicle distances on the trial, needed to constantly adjust squelch/volume for optimal listening. Plus, the 75 gets really hot when transmitting for more than 30 seconds. ( I like to ratchet jaw) when wandering on off road desert trails.

Next up.........Ham Radio install. Head unit going where sunglass holder/garage door remote pocket is located. Main unit will mount remote elsewhere.

image.jpeg

image.2jpeg.jpeg

Damn you beat me to it! I'm doing the exact same thing next week, just waiting on parts, looks good

In dash stereo/CB

First I thought I'd go for the radio/CD unit plus CB unit, as per my first image below, but then I thought if I want music (streaming, and locally stored) and GPS Navigation, plus whatever else, then one of the cheap Google tablets seem to fit pretty well into the space - see second image, coupled with an unlimited data plan.

/Pete

IMG_20130806_180222.jpg

IMG_20130806_165556.jpg

First I thought I'd go for the radio/CD unit plus CB unit, as per my first image below, but then I thought if I want music (streaming, and locally stored) and GPS Navigation, plus whatever else, then one of the cheap Google tablets seem to fit pretty well into the space - see second image, coupled with an unlimited data plan.

/Pete

What cb is that?

With your tablet and unlimited data plan, how does that work when there is no cell service?

QUOTE=pete100;8717525]First I thought I'd go for the radio/CD unit plus CB unit, as per my first image below, but then I thought if I want music (streaming, and locally stored) and GPS Navigation, plus whatever else, then one of the cheap Google tablets seem to fit pretty well into the space - see second image, coupled with an unlimited data plan.

/Pete[/QUOTE]

TTi TCB-900

I wish shipping this to the US wasn't so expensive... I like the look of this much better than the Cobra 18 I just bought.

I wish shipping this to the US wasn't so expensive... I like the look of this much better than the Cobra 18 I just bought.

It does look a lot better than the Cobra 18, but I picked up my Cobra 18 for $24 with shipping - kinda hard to spend $175 with shipping for a CB radio, I'd rather get my ham license

Yep, I got my Cobra 18 for $50 which is much cheaper than anything else that I could've stuck in the dash. So I'm happy with the purchase, but would've been much happier with the TTi

Here is my cb install. I used a Cobra 18, 2 ft firestik with a Gamiviti mount bolted right next to the stock antenna. The picture is misleading and the antenna does not stand that high, it's only a inch or two above the roof line. I used a am/fm-cb splitter to use the cb antenna as my stereo antenna as well. So far it seems really good, I can pick up Philly HD channels about 60 miles away. I wanted to disable the stock antenna and give the cb antenna a somewhat stock look.

image-2023730255.jpg

image-3074848331.jpg

Here is my cb install. I used a Cobra 18, 2 ft firestik with a Gamiviti mount bolted right next to the stock antenna. The picture is misleading and the antenna does not stand that high, it's only a inch or two above the roof line. I used a am/fm-cb splitter to use the cb antenna as my stereo antenna as well. So far it seems really good, I can pick up Philly HD channels about 60 miles away. I wanted to disable the stock antenna and give the cb antenna a somewhat stock look.

You might regret not having a 3'

Yeah that would be ideal for tx/rx but imagine a 3 ft antenna basically standing on top of your roof. Even with a spring, i would destroy it every time i went through a parking garage. The best mount is on a aftermarket rear bumper IMO. I would rather buy the labrak mount for a VHF or similar antenna when I get bored of my cb. We'll see, I'm in the infant phase with vehicle communication. I'm a avionics guy in the AF and fix UHF/VHF and HF radios on C-17's but I have a job guide telling me what antenna to replace and which computer processor is bad, so when it comes to designing my own system - it's trial and error.

Never mind what i said about the labrak mount. It sits about level with where mine is mounted near the hood, but I still wouldn't want a antenna sticking over the roofline more than a few inches.

Well, if it's not above the roofline you're not going to have great reception. You optimally want 2/3 of the antenna above the roof, but that isn't realistic for most. I went with a 3' on the LabRak and others prefer 4'. They sell quick disconnects for the antennas so you don't have to constantly screw and unscrew the antenna. I would look into that if you're worried about clearance issues.

I too am looking at the 3 foot (3') Firestik to attach on my LabRak mount, with the spring. From what my estimations, it looks to be above my Yakima cross bars only by a few inches (maybe 6"?).

FF can you take a measurement on your install as to how much yours extends above your rack?

BTW, Chris - I was Comm/Nav on the KC-10s back a few decades ago (late 80's early 90's)... my favorite job, even though the pay sucked. My son now is E/E on the KC-135 in England. Love trading stories with him. It brings back fond memories. Thank you for your service.

Jonathan

Thank you for your service as well. I'm sure you are very proud of your son too. E&E is a tough job, especially on almost 70 year old aircraft. It's nice to see a fellow pointy head on MUD.

FF can you take a measurement on your install as to how much yours extends above your rack?

I just measured (sorry, was working on the truck) and it looks to be ABOUT 15 inches above the standard OEM roof rack. Now this is kind of a rough measurement, but it should be anywhere from 14-16" above, I just think it's 15.

Why would you pay $75.00 for an antenna mount??? That is like 1/12 of the cost of a ARB type bumper that has antenna tabs on it.

or buy this type: (comes with coax and connectors on both ends too!)
http://www.firestik.com/Catalog/MK-274R.htm

To have a robust mount that will never need replacing, won't bend, and is designed specifically for the uzj100. Not to mention supporting a MUD vendor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom