In case of rollover..... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Not that I'm planning on flopping anytime soon, but, lets say I end up on my side or close too it.
Assuming I'm fine etc.. And the cruiser has been righted, what do I do next before restarting the cruiser?
A visual inspection, but what about oil? Should I just let it sit for awhile? Anything in particular?

After you have it righted, let it sit for a bit, and drink a water to cool off. Take a few deep breaths and make sure that everything with you and anyone else involved is acctually alright, as adrenaline dose funny things to mask pain, and affect clear thinking. Relax, very hard to do, but you have to remain calm.

Having been over a few times, as operator, and passenger both, clear thinking in this sitaution is critical.

After making sure that there are not possible fire issues, and that you do not have anything glaring you in the face broke that is a saftey concern, check the fluid level in the engine, make sure the battery, or batteries have not moved, that the gear boxes have not leaked out their oils, and generally inspect the vehicle condition. These vehicles can take a lot of abuse, but they can hide serious problems too, if not looked at carefully after the incedent.

Keep your head about you, that is very important. I can not stress this enough.
I have been one of the first people at many a crash sceen on the road, and off road, it is so important to not panic.

-Steve

Alright, I'll keep that in mind. There was actually a good article run in Offroad Adventures (4wheelparts advertising mag) about what to do in case of a rollover. Wondering if there was anything specific concering cruisers, I guess not. Sounds like the main thing is to chill out, calm down, and not be in a hurry to get movin again.

There are so many variables everytime something like this happens, that it makes it hard to have a "rollover playbook" and be able to follow it step by step, for any vehicle. The best expierence is doing it, but is certianly not something that I recomend, or wish anyone to be involved with.

Prioritizing personal saftey over vehicle recovery/loss has to be number one.

Neutralizing possible fire hazzards is as close to the top as you can get too..

Does not make much sense for you to focus on getting the vehicle righted, if you are going to bleed out in five minutes..hopefully you are not alone, which was saddly pointed out earlier this fall by the passing of a fellow wheeler, running alone. Hopefully we can learn from others, and not have to pay the tuition to the school of life twice...

Whenever I wheel anything that requires much more than just 4wd, I try to have more than one truck, especially if it is way back in the mountains. I realize that I am incredibly inexperienced, and I figure that I can reduce the risk of a potentially very complicated situation with a second truck/person on hand.
I guess I should get a fire extinguisher and mount it up somewhere then too... Any recommendations?

I have two in my wheeler a 2.5# A,B,C dry chem, and a 5# also. When I go out, I try to remember to bring some container of water, as even tho you can remove the oxygen from the fire, if you do not remove the heat, it will come right back.

I also have two first aid kits. Good kits are not that much money, and if I had to leave one with someone, as I have in the past, I will still have stuff for me. In the group that I run with, we all "over-prep" for the worst in many situations. While some may think that this is foolish, having found my slef in, or around many ugly situations, has affected me, and created an awareness that anything can and will go wrong, and just because it is ugly right now, does not mean that it is over, or going to get better.

My buddies were laughing at me just the other day as I was throwing my gloves, tow straps and hi-lift in the back of his pickup before we went to test out a new little spot in the woods we found nearby. I wish now we had one of their trucks get stuck so I could show them that it was overpacking, as I am known to do.

Murphy's law has a very real application in wheelin, it seems.
My mother's maiden name is Murphy. :-\ :D

A few points that I have learned from my numerous encounters of the non-horizontal.
I installed a battery kill switch, on flopping over, the first thing I do is flip that, at least there are not going to be any sparks.
I have a fire extinguisher that sits between the seats, close at hand.

Upon getting it back on its feet, I disconnect the coil wire and crank the engine a few turns to make sure non of the oil has leaked ontop of the pistons. I ususually have top pull the reminants of the mirrors off, and away we go again.

I'm an expert at this...hehehe

First off, have a plan up front to right the rig. I tend to jump out and take control quickly, putting rigs in positions where I want them, and getting the process in motion. The quicker you right it, the less likely there will be problems.

Once up and held into place (odd are you just righted it onto the rock you fell off of), do a visual of fluids....mine usually drools from the shift tower and that's it. Wait a few minutes, have a cold favorite....next step is to clear the motor of any oil in the pistons. I know my rig needs a turn-two on the starter, so I don't pull the coil wire...a few light taps on the key until I can feel/hear that the motor is ready to spin...hit it and she starts up.

You then get to coordinate winching with the recovery rig...I had once where we had 2 additional lines plus my winch to keep things balance once it got up. On it's wheels was easy...the next 30 minutes were spent working it out from where I'd wedged it...hehehe

first off .... you know all the crap you ck before you wheel ..... ck it again :D

calm reminds me of a guy here in Texas ( it was the spoters fault ;)) flopped on his passanger side in claton, a rock was in JUST the right spot it poped the hood off and sparled off of the battery which caught the gas coming out of the carb EVERYONE freaked out BUT him reached over his head grabed the fire extinguisher and put out his own fire on his side put it back and ask for help to get out WOW ... one word CALM could of been real bad righted it fixed a burnt wire or two tossed to hood in the back and drove back to camp .... the only thing he told me ..and i live by it now.... if you can get your fire extinguisher straped in and up side down it wont do you any good when you need it :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom