In cab switch wiring questions... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am hoping to wire an in cab switch for my air compressor. I am hoping to have it "negative switched" meaning I will just run a ground wire through the firewall to the switch. I am planning on following these diagrams from Overland Bound. My question is, how would I wire this to my switch? Do I still need 12v power to it from inside the cab, or only if I want the switch LED to work? I am only doing one accessory, so instead of a fuse block I will just have an inline fuse between the battery and relay.

View attachment 3174185
View attachment 3174191
View attachment 3174192

My second question is, can anyone tell me what wires I can tap into on that are on the 'dash light circuit' for the LEDs on my switch? Can I splice inline or do I need to do an add a circuit at the fuse panel inside of the cab and pick something like the tail lights?

Thanks!

Why are you trying to 'negative switch?' You need power to operate the relay and switch correctly, including illumination.

DO NOT tap into your tail lights for switch illumination. Why would you consider this as a power source for switch illumination when you have sooo many other options on an illumination circuit?

Just based on some of the statements made in your post, I am going to suggest you do not wire this yourself and get some help from someone in the area that knows what they are doing.

Why are you trying to 'negative switch?' You need power to operate the relay and switch correctly, including illumination.

DO NOT tap into your tail lights for switch illumination. Why would you consider this as a power source for switch illumination when you have sooo many other options on an illumination circuit?

Just based on some of the statements made in your post, I am going to suggest you do not wire this yourself and get some help from someone in the area that knows what they are doing.

I was interested in doing the negative switching based on an overland bound video where he shows how to set up a fuse panel and relay system. He chose to do negative switching so that he’s running negative wires through the firewall to the switch instead of hot wires, which seemed safer.

The idea for tapping a fuse for the tail lights came from another video I watched which used that circuit since it is ignition tied.

Can you explain the danger of doing either of those things? What are better alternatives?

While I don’t know what I’m doing I am perfectly capable of learning. I installed my own winch, and also wired in cab controls to operate the winch inside of the cab. If I was able to figure that out I’m sure I can do this as long as I get the proper directions, which is why I am posting for advice instead of just going for it.

any compressor ive ever purchased (arb, vaiar, etc) comes with a wiring diagram for its switch. i recommend simply following the diagram and staying away from the OB guys directions in general. theyre more of a pyramid scheme and less off a reliable technical bulletin anyways..

if you plan to get into wiring your own stuff this is fantastic, you will live and learn a lot, but some into tips are stay away form vampire tips and fuse taps. taping into a dimmer system is one thing but tying your relay into a tail circuit is pretty bad advise. just run the switch wires for the relay through the firewall grommet as the directions suggest, it will not hurt anything. go buy some cheap loom and heat shrink.

Thanks for the advice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom