In A Pinch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

StaticTorque

SILVER Star
Threads
Having an intermittent starting problem. Recently replaced the starter in the LC been sitting in the parking lot for a hour trying to get it to start. Any easy way I can jump start this pig?

Depends on type of issue, have you verified battery voltage? Voltage at big starter wire, ground path back to battery, voltage at solenoid signal wire?
Well I’m assuming battery voltage is good, replaced battery 2 weeks ago. The starter has been clicking on me when I try to start it. Hitting it does not help. Also recently replaced the fusible link too. But now I think the starter went out completely…

Clicking is good - at least from a troubleshooting perspective. It more or less confirms the NSS & ignition switch are not in play. Getting help from a good Samaritan and a set of jump leads will most likely get you going again. You need to check if the alternator is actually charging the battery - i.e. 14v on the output. What was the reason the for the new battery? The starting circuit on these are simple - ignition key, NSS, fusible links and the starter - but you need a decent battery charge or none of the rest matters.

Clicking is good - at least from a troubleshooting perspective. It more or less confirms the NSS & ignition switch are not in play. Getting help from a good Samaritan and a set of jump leads will most likely get you going again. You need to check if the alternator is actually charging the battery - i.e. 14v on the output. What was the reason the for the new battery? The starting circuit on these are simple - ignition key, NSS, fusible links and the starter - but you need a decent battery charge or none of the rest matters.
I’ve had this problem going on for a while. Thought it was the starter going out so I replaced the old 1.4kw starter with a 2.0kw. I have a jump pack in my rig and it hasn’t helped. The battery was swelling on both sides. Still past test at my local battery shop. I’ve been thinking the alarm is part of my problem.

Ok, do you have a multimeter or test light? Is possible starter is junk, but need to verify power and ground paths first. If you have a set of booster cables can go positve battery post to big post on starter, negative post to starter body or block, bolt head, what have you. This will negate a number of possible connection points, hit key again and see what happens

Ok, do you have a multimeter or test light? Is possible starter is junk, but need to verify power and ground paths first. If you have a set of booster cables can go positve battery post to big post on starter, negative post to starter body or block, bolt head, what have you. This will negate a number of possible connection points, hit key again and see what happens
Unfortunately I do not have a multimeter handy… Starter was replaced maybe a month ago with a Denso Reman from RockAuto. Alright I’ll see if I can get cables down there to do so

Positive to big post with wire from battery, negative to decent ground. Then, can jump from positve lead to solenoid trigger wire on starter and starter should function. Verify truck is in park in auto or neutral if standard

Positive to big post with wire from battery, negative to decent ground. Then, can jump from positve lead to solenoid trigger wire on starter and starter should function. Verify truck is in park in auto or neutral if standard
That damn plastic cover is in the way and I can’t get a bite on it

I believe that the plastic cover on the solenoid +12V connection is a hinged cover. Mine was broken when I got it, most likely because nobody realizes that it's a hinged cover...

With the key in the ON/RUN position, briefly short the 2 starter terminals together. This should energize the starter motor if the contacts are still good.
Be careful as you're dealing with direct battery current. If you accidently ground it, it will weld itself in place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom