Impulse buy- 1986 4runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Congratulations! That looks like a great truck.

You should post on the 100 forum and explain to the other dwellers of the Rust Belt that this is the proper way to buy a Land Cruiser or any old Toyota truck. It never ceases to amaze me that guys won't spend $1,000 more for a rust-free truck... and then spend countless hours and dollars dealing with rust. Well done!

Plans for the 4Runner?

Congratulations! That looks like a great truck.

You should post on the 100 forum and explain to the other dwellers of the Rust Belt that this is the proper way to buy a Land Cruiser or any old Toyota truck. It never ceases to amaze me that guys won't spend $1,000 more for a rust-free truck... and then spend countless hours and dollars dealing with rust. Well done!

Plans for the 4Runner?

"Is this too much rust?" post # 56,564,906,569,645,640,689,046

@JeffD that is a clean looking truck. X2 on the plans?

No plans really. fix things here and there, and drive. It already had most the work done. Head was replaced, belts, timing chain etc. Interior will need some attention, but it’s not too bad. Thinking about doing some sort of undercoating to protect from rust, also would like to hear advise on what to look out for. I have replacement parts for cv joints, other than that, not sure what to do?

Our Gen 1 4Runners had the anemic 3Y and 4Y engines. 22RE would have been much better :)

Or maybe DON’T post there. It’s been told to people so many times over the years, and still nobody gets it. Too bad for them. Leave the clean trucks for those of us that are willing to do the work :hmm:

Our Gen 1 4Runners had the anemic 3Y and 4Y engines. 22RE would have been much better :)

Yes, but you got 100s with FTEs, and now have VDJ70s, so you just be quiet now!:flipoff2:

Replaced clutch slave cylinder, put on a roof rack, should be ready for a small road trip.

81988991-DC0A-452F-9332-DFD39E30A572.jpeg

E2610F85-1DED-4D08-A160-A8169841BC4E.jpeg

The surfboard may not be heavy, but the pull of the wind on it adds up.

If you don't mind me asking, what ballpark are we talking for vehicle and shipping?

The surfboard may not be heavy, but the pull of the wind on it adds up.

If you don't mind me asking, what ballpark are we talking for vehicle and shipping?

Shipped from Texas to NY- $1100. 4runner was $5500. Not sure if I got a good deal, or overpaid, but I do like it. Considering the only major thing I’ve done so far is new tires, I think it’s a fair deal. I may decide to sell some day, and hopefully be able to break even, but who knows where prices will be in a year or two?

From the looks of it I'd say you did pretty well price wise. Nice looking 4runner.

$6,600 to your door... for a rust free, stock, slightly lifted '86 4Runner? I'd say you did damn well. If you tell me it's got under 175,000 miles, I'm going to really be sick over what I paid for my '84 Pickup.

I see ones around here asking $7500 with rust and bubbles in the paint from rust forming, so I'm going to say you did well.

$6,600 to your door... for a rust free, stock, slightly lifted '86 4Runner? I'd say you did damn well. If you tell me it's got under 175,000 miles, I'm going to really be sick over what I paid for my '84 Pickup.

260,000. So don’t feel bad.

Be cautious using the fiberglass rails for your rack. ;)

The vast majority of uplift will be on the front crossbar which is on steel. He should be fine.

Be cautious using the fiberglass rails for your rack. ;)

Only holds a surfboard, not very heavy. Where do you get the mounts that drill into the roof? Are they custom made?

Doesn't matter what you have on the rack. Those fiberglass rails are not structural. You will bust them off. Go with the Widebody already mentioned and don't look back. I have two sets on my truck. The pair just behind the sliding window bolts through. If you install them behind the back window you need to use nutserts made for fiberglass since the fiberglass is double walled back there.

I've never had load bars mounted to my shell rails, and yet I have broken rails just from hitting trees. They are not structural.

Oh, and nice score.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom