Improving early LX470 HVAC control legibility? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I think, like most of you, you would judge the quality of a forum by the frequency that you have to make posts to ask questions.

High frequency = difficult to search and/or lack of useful information
Low frequency = easy to search and/or a wealth of useful, actionable information

I would say this forum falls very firmly in the latter category. I don't know where you started Mud, and I don't know how you've stuck around for so long as forums seem to go the way of FB, but please keep it up, this place has been invaluable in educating myself about my LX, and has coached me through multiple jobs already.

This is my first post, and isn't a member introduction, but a question I am curious about. We all know the pre 03 LX470 auto climate controls aren't very user friendly, are hard to decipher while moving, and just generally not as intuitive. We all know that the Landcruiser twist knobs are far superior (and so do eBay sellers, 600$!), and should be swapped in as soon as possible.

But, has anyone taken it upon themselves to improve the usefulness of these controls? I have thought about it off and on while driving, trying to nail down the actual pain points. Here is what I think they are:

1. The LCD is far too dim and small to read while driving during the daytime with sunglasses on, and needs to be "read" to understand what is happening, not glanced at
  2. The buttons themselves are not particularly easy to find (no center locating braile) while not taking your eyes off the road
Has anyone ever tackled these? Or is it the generally accepted practice to just swap in the LC unit and call it a day? What about adding another LCD display further up in the eyeline? Is that even possible? With that solved, adding some braile to the buttons would be simple. Maybe the solution is a brighter LCD display, something with more contrast?

Maybe you all just don't mess with it, set the temp and forget about it. But I like to be able to manipulate the vent controls depending on what I am doing, and trying to read the "mode" graphic is next to impossible without staring directly at it. There has to be dozens of us with this issue!

Late night ramblings, I'd be interested to hear the hive's thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom