Improved Radio Reception (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The Crane Co. (ccrane.com),which makes first quality shortwave equipment, top line AM and FM radios, is offering original and replacement auto antennas--non retractable, which the Co. claims "almost doubles your AM reception." The antennas are priced from $34.95 to $48.95. These are coil loaded.

For those ,like me, addicted to certain radio programs while traveling, this is a win/win swap: Remove the retractable antenna (which has mediocre sensitivity) replace with a Crane, substantially increase reception, free-up one or two switch positions on the dash--all for a reasonable price.

Good mod?

What say you?

Don't care much about AM reception. What about FM?

Co. says antenna does not boost FM reception, which stays the same as with any antenna, only boosts AM reception. But remember, FM reception is line-of-sight, and almost totally distance limited. AM reception is virtually unlimited (assuming max. station power of 50,000 watts) and responds well to boosting. Digital AM, coming soon, compares well to FM. Meanwhile, if you like certain talk-radio programs, they're on AM. Finally, at modest cost, you get AM boost and you free-up scarce switch locations. I'm doing mine as soon as the antenna arrives.

Thanks for responding. 1 was a lonely number. I was tempted to reply to myself.

I like my retractable antenna; wouldn't want to give it up for a bit of AM boost. It also looks dorky when you're listening to a CD since you don't need the antenna.

Now if they would sell a gizmo that would REALLY boost the AM reception of the stock antenna, then I might be interested for those rare times I might listen to AM. Otherwise, forgeddaboudit.

I listen to quite a bit of AM and in the cruiser AM is quite noisy.

If you give this a try let us know about it, curious how the fit will be, weather it will chafe etc and of course reception. The price is right. I have a new OEM mast for mine that is still not installed yet, the old one is not broken but I am hoping it will help.

this is one place my Chevy did well, it has a fixed solid whip antenna with a second conductor wrapped around it, kind of like a fiberglass CB antenna, on good nights I could pick up Chicago and Louisiana from south GA, unfortunately it uses a completely different mount from the cruiser.

Scamper:

If you don't want to look "dorky," and you do want to look really "cool", install an in-dash Cobra WXSTll, mount a Firestikll 2' on driver's side and Crane antennae on right plus free-up 2 scarce switch locations. Style & Function, Incorporated!

dang, how many trucks or cars got an adjustable height antenna? that's the height of wheelin' design, man!
(chicks dig it :) , some here dig it with pink panties hanging from it... :rolleyes: )
what's not to like?

:D

I run the Crane antenna on my truck. It works quite well. I doesnt boost the signal, it is just constucted to more efficiently recieve am signals. It has the a stock antenna beat in the am range. Don't listen to much fm

You can still only pick up the hog report when cruising thru Cherry County Nebraska but it comes in better.

I put Sirius in my rig and will NEVER go back to AM/FM. If you ever get into the high country you need it. I put the antenna magnet in the rear, on the roof just before the spoiler.

I had the Crane radio attenna installed last week and can report that he AM reception is significantly improved. (FM reception stays the same.) The new antenna is balanced by a Firestik CB antena in the same spot on the driver's side. Looks brawny, which is to say looks good, IMHO. Have freed-up two switch spaces on my dash (the up/down antenna).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom