Impressed with fuel mileage. Should I be? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just sold my 95 fzj80 that I drove for two years, in hopes of buying a nice 40. Well I guess the cruiser gods had a different idea because on my way to deliver the 80 I ran across an LX 450 that I could not pass up.

Long story short the 80 always got 12 mpg. Only mod being 285 km2's. I ran the first tank through the LX which is bone stock and was shocked to get 15.3. All calculations were using the odo. How much effect do you guys think a little bigger tire will have on this.

All driving has been backroads btw no freeway.

A properly running rig should get 15 + or - 1 mpg with 285's typically.

Thanks. And all this time I thought the 12 mpg was just a land cruiser thing.

It is if you have 35's! It's weird but I have talked to quite a few LC owners that report really bad gas mileage with stock setups, I can only figure they have some issues they don't know about.

I've always got 15-17+ mpg on the highway depending on speed and terrain.

Are you guys talking about getting nearly 400 miles per tank?!?!?!?

Most I ever got in one trip, on flat road, without stopping, cruise control at 65, running into until it literally ran out of gas, was 320 miles. Everyday driving I get about 220 miles per tank.

I'd love to get 15. I'm stock height, 275's with the sc and full ems exhaust and I get 12 pretty consistently. 14 if I nurse it on the freeway. I'd say my rig is in pretty good tune, but there could be something there. Certainly no codes, and most of the tune up items are fresh so who knows.

My old FZJ stock with 285's would get 220 per tank, mostly city driving

I just got 310 miles and 20 gallons to fill up with 255-75-17 bfg mt tires.
93 octane gas

I consistantly get around 15.5 to 17 on the highway. All stock running 65-67mph the entire way. By the time I'm getting to 220 on the odometer the gas gauge is showing half a tank

I just got 310 miles and 20 gallons to fill up with 255-75-17 bfg mt tires.
93 octane gas

Why the fancy gas?

We have low-revving, long-stroking engines. You could run on watered-down 81 octane.

The thing about higher octane gas is that it ignites later. And is done exploding sooner.

That's oversimplifying though. Really, if you're talking about oldschool high octane gas with no ethanol in it, no water, no mtbe, etc, the thing about higher octane gas is that the power output curve from ignition is peakier.

I'm not about to fire up MS Paint and draw diagrams, but think of it in terms of a pile of dirt. You can take that same pile of dirt and make it into a low rounded hill or a thin tower.

The question is not so much how soon after the spark you get the explosion but the sort of explosion you get. Higher octane gives a shorter, taller power output curve.

That pile of dirt isn't bigger, it's just taller and skinnier.

My 1.8L turbocharged VW has a high-revving, short-stroke engine. The sticker on the inside of the fuel door says "91 octane minimum" in big letters. This is because the engine controller has to retard the timing to keep from knocking if you fill it with lower octane gas. It turns out that lower octane gas in the 1.8T doesn't give me a higher miles/dollar ratio.

And it's red line is at 6500rpm. Because the stroke of the piston is pretty short.

In the 3FE or the 1FZ? Tractor motor don't need no fancy gas.

Unless you've advanced your timing for some reason. In that case, I wonder why, but carry on.

I get about 12 to 13 MPG (combining city and highway driving) and have the entire time I have owned the vehicle. I have owned it since it had 20K miles and now it has 245K. The original paperwork said to expect 12 to 15. Are you guys who are getting more sure you know how to measure your gas mileage? Not trying to be a smart ass but something here doesn't compute.

My gas mileage with all of the heavy gear I have on the truck and tools I have in the truck have lowered it a small amount but not much. I have larger tires with 35s but I regeared to 4.88 and I have consistently gotten about the same gas mileage.

It's a 4.5 liter oversquare engine, Long-stroking is not a descriptor that matches it.

Alright. Oversight on my part.

Still. I can't think of a reason why our engines would benefit from a higher octane fuel. Unless for some reason the timing has been advanced.

Elevation. I get ~13mpg with 35" MTs, stock gears at roughly 4400ft elevation.

My bet is that for the most part, the low-landers are the ones with the better mileage reports.

On a side note, how much are people correcting their mileage to account for 35" tires and stock gears?

Elevation. I get ~13mpg with 35" MTs, stock gears at roughly 4400ft elevation.

My bet is that for the most part, the low-landers are the ones with the better mileage reports.

On a side note, how much are people correcting their mileage to account for 35" tires and stock gears?

I also wonder about the correction factor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom