Importing whole truck for parts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I did look through the importing FAQ's but found nothing in regard to my question. I am looking at purchasing a junked bodied HDJ81 and importing it whole, for a diesel conversion in my FZJ80 here in the states. My question, Can I import it as "parts", and/or do I have to remove the motor and transmission before customs believes that it really is only "parts", cut apart the frame or????

Are there any RI's on the forum that may be able to help me with this question?

Thanks in advance,

Ross

I did look through the importing FAQ's but found nothing in regard to my question. I am looking at purchasing a junked bodied HDJ81 and importing it whole, for a diesel conversion in my FZJ80 here in the states. My question, Can I import it as "parts", and/or do I have to remove the motor and transmission before customs believes that it really is only "parts", cut apart the frame or????

Thanks in advance,

Ross

Some on this forum have had to cut frames,other have imported whole diesel cruisers,lic them and drove off into the sunset.
Seems to depend on who you get in customs.

If its got a junk body,why not import just the engine and trans?

Have you looked at any of the places that sell half cuts? I'm not sure what prices you are looking at for the junked HDJ but buying a half cut may be cheaper. I looked at Specter Off Road the other day. They have half cuts for sale. I can't remember if they have any HDJ's as I am leaning more towards the 1HZ. I emailed them and, after not receiving any reply, looked at the website again four days later to see they had nearly doubled the price of what I was looking at without replying to my interest. Pissed me off, but oh well. You might look at other places. I know G&S cruisers sells engine/tranny/t-case packages but no half cuts. And they have 1HD-T, and 1HD-FT's. They were also much more informative as far as replying to emails. Hope it all works out for you.

Read the nhtsa website throughly and follow the links. I am trying to accomplish the same thing. you can import the whole vehicle as parts but the engine must be removed to qualify as a "parts car". where are you importing it from?

The vehicle will be imported from Alberta Canada into the US. Everyone I have spoken to regarding this subject all seem to be telling me the same thing, remove the drivetrain and you should be able to tow it straight across with out problems. I didn't know if there happened to be an RI or two on the forum that may be able to help out with this question. Thanks for the information folks, I appreciate it greatly.

Hello,
The car is a car, engine or not. The frame must be rendered unusable/destroyed to be eligible for importation as "parts".
That is why 1/2 cuts are imported without a registered importer, and why it is so hard to register a vehicle in some states without registered importer paperwork. In CA the vehicle frame number identifies the vehicle regardless of the engine installed, smog compliance is another critter all together.
eric

Thanks in advance,

Ross

I assume you've looked at the shipping cost of importing the parts car from wherever you plan to import it ? And also looked at the cost of rendering that parts car into a condition that makes it defineable as a parts car and getting it out of customs to your home as well as the labor cost of reassembling and or tarnsfering the needed parts to yours ?

I think you are looking at a mighty large number.

Kalawang

short answer, yes it can be done with the engine still in the body. what we ended up doing is cutting a foot out of one frame rail BUT make sure you deal with the same border guard, some will say that is all you need, some will say "no way". the customer contacted the border crossing he wanted to use, spoke to each of the guards at different times, found one that would accept the frame chunk removed, found out when he was working and schedualed his trip around the guards schedual.

went without a hitch BUT could go sideways so make sure you take ALL the precautions...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom