Importing vehicles from the Motherland (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
One of my fellow cubicle gophers is interested in the importation of a vehicle from Japan...I keep telling him to get a 'cruiser of course but his wife wont let him. So i sez to him I sez..'who wears the pants in your family? HE does he replys, but she irons them' ;p

Anyways, he desires a Nissan Skyline. Apparently this is a awd, 4wheel steer, twin turbo rocket of some kind. Regardless of the make/model, he wants to know what kind of costs are involved for this procedure. Or if someone can direct me to a helpful website..etc etc etc.

muchos gracias, domo-arygato, danke, etc etc etc

is he dead-set on bringing it in himself? there are quite a few arriving now for sale, a friend of mine is considering buying one... if you remember, i saw you at canadian tire one day a few weeks ago and there was one in the parking lot while we were there.

chuglife said:
is he dead-set on bringing it in himself? there are quite a few arriving now for sale, a friend of mine is considering buying one... if you remember, i saw you at canadian tire one day a few weeks ago and there was one in the parking lot while we were there.

oh, that was you! Kinda neat to put faces to names. Didnt notice the car, but I'll admit I dont gawk at Nissans to much.
I dont believe he's dead set on anything, was just wanting to know prices and get as much info as he can on the whole importation ritual.

yep, thats me :) i'll ask my buddy about where he's looking, i think hes mostly been checking out private sellers as of late but he should know about some forums, etc. to browse around on.

it works better in the main section of 'mud, looks like the server won't load a real avatar...

i only dream about having a diesel ;p

It costs @ $1000 to do the transfer and shipping, the real problem now is finding a dealer there that wont gouge you because they know how much we want these vehicles.

Before I bought my 97 LX450 I got quoted 27k canadian for a 1990 turbo 4wd landcruiser...... what a rip.

BCLX450

Enigma said:
and none of that !gas stuff like Deny's!

Just Imagine that he is pissing on gas prices! :D

On top of the shipping/de-registration costs from Japan, there are:
-7% GST and 7% (of purchase price) duty.
-$100 air conditioning excise tax if the vehicle has AC.
-$48 CFIA inspection fee (more if they deem that your vehicle needs cleaning before they release it).
-Port charges if CFIA takes too long to inspect your vehicle and it stays in port longer than the grace period (or any other unforeseen delays).
-$32 ICBC temporary permit to get your vehicle home, another $32 when you are ready for your Provincial inspection and licensing.
-$25 apllication fee to ICBC for a BC Assigned VIN.
-about $180 for an out of Province inspection and installation of your BC Assigned VIN at a designated government inspection facility.
-Another 7% (of purchase price) PST due at the insurance agency when you are ready to license your vehicle.
-Your typical licensing and insurance cost to have the vehicle on the road.

All in all, you'd better have lots of patience dealing with some of the insurance people who don't have a clue how the process goes, and you sometimes have to sit there for a couple of hours while they make several phone calls to ask how to fill the various boxes on their screen etc. Also be ready to fork over a lot of money in taxes and fees...in the thousands. But if you find a good one, you're golden. I think that about covers it...probably a couple of things that I've forgotten. HTH.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom