Importing from Portugal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been lurking around for a while and feel I need to ask some questions about a vehicle I am trying to purchase in Portugal. Has anyone had experience importing a vehicle from a private seller in Portugal and importing the vehicle back here to the States? Do you run everything through the Import Company/Forwarding company? Do you have them handle the transaction with the seller and handing the title over? How did you arrange to get the vehicle to the port where it left from? Does anyone have any recommendations for import companies/forwarding companies? Anyone have suggestions for finding out if an importer is reputable or not?

Thanks.

Haven't dealt in Portugal specifically, but have brought over Landcruisers from France, Italy, and Romania. All purchased from private sellers. The way I've done it is this: I have a guy in Europe who will contact the seller, ask any questions, get photos, etc, then he'll travel to the car to check it out in person, purchase it (with money I have wired to him), and transport it to a shipping port. He'll handle all the paperwork on the Europe end, and when it arrives here in the USA, I have hired a Customs Broker to handle getting it through Customs here. Once it's cleared Customs, I'll go to the port and pick it up. Once I have it, I need to jump through all the hoops at my local DMV to get it registered and licensed.

There's lots of paperwork to do and fees to pay to various parties, but that's the basics. Not rocket science, but not kindergarten, either. I've never dealt with an importer, per se, since I act as the importer of record myself. An importer is, strictly speaking, only necessary if the car is less than 25 years old and needs to be brought into compliance with US laws. Older cars you can do yourself.

So what if you don't have "a guy" over in Europe? The trickiest part of the transaction is the trust in someone to actually do what that have been tasked with. Does anyone have someone they could recommend or an exporter they have used to make these types of transactions?

The "guy" I use in Europe is not exclusive to me--he does this as a part of his business. PM me if you want his contact info. As I mentioned, I've had him get me 5 cars up to now, and I'm working in a 6th. Totally reliable and honest.

Pls consider that buying from Europe is like buying from 1 big country .we have a EEC , European Economic Comunity . Which is a big advantage for you , and us .
The only tricky part is if you buy in Portugal , and your guy is living in Germany, it is a trip and some work to inspect and arrange all loose ends .
Equal costs .
Plus , each country has their language , not all speak English, or German .
Communication can be a obstacle .
In a short time frame , there will be a strong offer of nice diesel toyota landcruisers , due to strict anti pollution laws .
Good time to buy for you .

Bye Renago

Last edited:
Great to hear, best of luck!

Portugal is a great location due to the ovar plant there building the Toyotas!

If you need any help with inspections on the canary islands id be glad to assist you.

ToyotaDyna
Canarian Landcruiser Exports

----

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom