Importing a diesel - what to know? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm an 60 owner, but a 40 series lover. I may have a chance to acquire a diesel 40 from Latin america. I've got info on importing, but I'm more interested to find out from this group the experience of owning a diesel here in the states. Harder to find parts? Getting work done? Any other pitfalls once you actually have the vehicle here? Resell of a BJ vs. an FJ? Etc. Thanks in advance.

1) Make sure you carefully inspect any vehicle you import from South America.

2) I drive and enjoy the B series engines, but you should know getting in that they were built for reliability and not for driving on modern highways. They have very little power and struggle at highway speeds.

3) it’s hard to find parts for B engines, but there’s still decent support for the 3B’s.

I would ask yourself why you want a diesel and why you need to import a vehicle from the third world when there’s no shortage of them in the USA.

South American 40s can be a can of worms on their own. Plenty of discussions and opinions on this forum if you search for them.

Owning a diesel in the states has been fairly straight forward. I was able to get a diesel title without a fuss. Maintenance parts are easy enough to find from the usual places: cruiser outfitters, Toyotapartsdeal.com, dealer, etc. But you won’t find parts at a small town napa so I have spares I take with me... though I probably roadtrip mine more than most.

I agree with the above - landcruisers are slow but the B engines are a special kind of slow. If you want the option to turbo down the road you will want to find a 3B.

40s are in general loud, hot, and slow moving. Another reasonable option would be to find a nice US spec 40 and drive it for awhile. If you decide you still want it slower and louder, a 3B would be easy enough to drop in.

Thanks guys. Yes, agree that you have to be extremely careful when buying in latin America. The reason I’m even considering it is because of the different types or more rare models you can find down there. I don’t necessarily want or need the diesel, but it’s harder to find gas engines. Also, a lot more to choose from and I have reason to be in Central America on occasion and have a network of friends. Thanks for the tips.

South American 40s can be a can of worms on their own. Plenty of discussions and opinions on this forum if you search for them.

Owning a diesel in the states has been fairly straight forward. I was able to get a diesel title without a fuss. Maintenance parts are easy enough to find from the usual places: cruiser outfitters, Toyotapartsdeal.com, dealer, etc. But you won’t find parts at a small town napa so I have spares I take with me... though I probably roadtrip mine more than most.

I agree with the above - landcruisers are slow but the B engines are a special kind of slow. If you want the option to turbo down the road you will want to find a 3B.

40s are in general loud, hot, and slow moving. Another reasonable option would be to find a nice US spec 40 and drive it for awhile. If you decide you still want it slower and louder, a 3B would be easy enough to drop in.

If you could find a BJ42/46 I’d say go for it! :steer:

For me at least I’d much rather have a clean FJ43 gasser than a BJ40

I’d so say go for it as long as you see it in person or have someone you trust check it over 100%. I’m currently living in Central America and bought a 40 myself. Planning to import later this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom