Importing a 1982 FJ45 Troopy to SOCAL (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The answer is a hard no. By the book, the car is not legal for importation to California. California has a strict no Direct Importation clause. It does not have a BAR/CARB cert plate, no similar chassis for adherence. I don't care what anyone says, it is not legal. Diesel is the only *maybe*. The problem is that the DMV is rejecting registration after the fact. Some get through some don't. Lately more and more are being rejected months later.

The only way to make the vehicle legal is....

1. Bring it into conformance with BAR/CARB. Usually around $10k.

That's it.

Everything else is a legal gamble. You're on your own. I've seen cars be crushed that were *imported*. The only other option is pre-1975. You should be able to get away with that, but again, its a gamble.

Tag it in another state, park it in a garage if you live here. Even easier if you are military or DoD contractor, they won't question you then :)
I tend to clear it from customs and send it to my garage and park it, do the finishing touches and put it up for sale (to another state)

I have imported 2 cars from overseas in the last 3 years. One, a 1972 from Italy into Hueneme, and the other a 1970 from the Netherlands into Long Beach (neither are Land Cruisers) I live in Simi Valley. You cannot direct import anything newer than 1968 into California anymore. Diesel or gas, does not matter.

Car can come into a California port, and all paperwork can be done (customs and epa) but can’t be registered here without being registered in another state first. The 1972 car I bought I registered in Oregon, didn’t need to take the car there, just the paperwork and a VIN verification form (the will accept the CA form as long as it’s done by the DMV or a peace officer: no AAA etc.) Oregon is nice because they have antique plates where you only pay a one time registration fee.

The 1970 car, a Citroen, I am just being lazy about. I’ll do the same thing.

As far as smog, yes pre-1976 gets a pass, but that only applies once it’s registered here. 1968 is the year California goes by for the last few years.

Are there people out there who know a guy who knows a guy? Perhaps. But I don’t, so this was the easiest way.
Thanks for the info man, all very helpful

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom