Import process - am I correct, and do I need a registered importer? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay, let's say I get my 25+ year old truck, which is still stock, on a RORO/in a container/whatever and now it's at the port. I drive to the port with a trailer. Now I am at the port. One question I really wish to know the answer to is this - can I do it all myself? This may sound odd, but it's not just to save money - I want to do all the work myself so I can understand the process.

I have in my hands:

* Bill of loading
* Bill of sale
* Whatever foreign registration or title I can get (suggestions?)
* EPA form 3250-1 and DOT Form HS-7

I also need a single entry bond and ISF 10+2, and my own entry number (which means I need a filing number). Where do I get these?

I pay my 2.5% customs fee.

Now what? Does someone drive the car off the boat and give me the keys? Do I go do that? Do I hire someone to walk me into the secure area?

Do I absolutely, positively need a customs broker or registered importer? Do I have to do anything special for a diesel (BJ40)?

Thanks, all, and sorry if I've asked an easily-answered question. I've hit the books pretty hard on this topic and I may be confused.

Last edited:
What port are you planning to bring it into? Ocean imports in general are vastly more formal than border crossings (LBC does 30,000 containers every day alone, so they need processes). You don't need an RI, because the vehicle is exempt & doesn't need to be compliance. You can do the entry yourself, but for ocean import I would just get a broker to save time & effort. You can't get the truck on the water without filing ISF & VGM on the origin side, so it won't just be waiting for you at port. You will have already done some legwork when it gets here.

What port are you planning to bring it into? Ocean imports in general are vastly more formal than border crossings (LBC does 30,000 containers every day alone, so they need processes). You don't need an RI, because the vehicle is exempt & doesn't need to be compliance. You can do the entry yourself, but for ocean import I would just get a broker to save time & effort. You can't get the truck on the water without filing ISF & VGM on the origin side, so it won't just be waiting for you at port. You will have already done some legwork when it gets here.

Tacoma. I know I need to buy a customs bond in 3x the value of the vehicle, but where do I buy it and what document do I use to prove that I did? I am leaning against using a broker - I'd really like to try doing it on my own and see if I can understand the process. What is the VGM?

Tacoma. I know I need to buy a customs bond in 3x the value of the vehicle, but where do I buy it and what document do I use to prove that I did? I am leaning against using a broker - I'd really like to try doing it on my own and see if I can understand the process. What is the VGM?

Tacoma isn't that large so that will help. VGM stands for Verified Gross Mass & it went into effect a couple of months ago as a part of SOLAS (safety of life at sea) treaty. It isn't complex but must be filed prior to sailing, just like ISF. It has to be filed by the shipper, not the importer, but different sides of the same coin more or less. Single entry bond only needs to be of an amount to cover declared value plus all duties & fees, not three times the value. I think the three times the value concept is actually from when you bond for a title, not customs bond. I use Avalon surety formula continuous bond, and you can get a single entry from them too. If not Avalon, any surety bond company should be able to supply you with one. Pic is the address & phone number for tacnma's customs office. Make sure to make an appt. rather than just show up.

I would get a broker. The $500 or whatever it may cost is worth it even if it feels like they don't do anything. I imported a BJ40 from Costa Rica and ship pallets of equipment, for work, to and from Canada and always use a broker. The one time we didn't our equipment got stuck in customs for three days and we almost didn't have our gear for the festival we were working.

image.jpeg

Customs holds are a part of life no matter who imports, but yeah they will make things easier for you. You can expect this to go on what they call an intensive exam hold. Almost all 25 year exempt vehicle imports do, as customs wants to inspec & confirm age (you can thank all those illegal defender imports for that). Work with customs, and your local DMV ahead of time & it will make things easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom