Import JDM Diesel cruiser from canada to US? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So how does the guy at West Coast Cruisers get his in? They're less than 25yo. Some of them certainly look JDM. Some of them are advertised as coming from czech republic or something. Obviously, he's found the yellow brick road between diesel toyotas and the US.

Ive got my BJ-41 1980 diesel JDM for sale in mud classifieds. Dont know what year your looking for.

So how does the guy at West Coast Cruisers get his in? They're less than 25yo. Some of them certainly look JDM. Some of them are advertised as coming from czech republic or something. Obviously, he's found the yellow brick road between diesel toyotas and the US.

I've wondered the same and he won't give any details.....somehow he's found the big grey hole...

bk

yes, i know how he is doing it and because it is a business he is running he has every right to keep the method to himself.
he shares a lot of info with the forum, gives good deals and stands behind what he sells.
if you came across a way to make money doing what you love and supplying your customers with the ability to buy a truck they never dreamed being able to own, it woudl be your right to keep the info private...for now.

When I've registered and insured newly imported JDM vehicles, both the MV folks and the insurance broker required specific items of paperwork before they would proceed.

Find out what papers you need to legally register and drive the vehicle, and then make sure you have them before you pay out the deal.

Vehicles from the rest of the world don't have VIN numbers in the same format as N.American vehicles, and unless you have the correct papers to get around that, you may be left with an expensive lawn ornament you can only drive on your property.

I'm certainly not disrespecting WC cruisers... On the contrary, he's doing exactly what I want to be able to do, so I show respect where respect is due. I'm just wondering if the registrations on his $40,000 LCs are totally transferrable and the registration is bullet proof. It seems like, my over zealous, small town DOT guy could cause a lot of grief by deciding the car was non compliant.

Current common wisdom is that DOT won't let you bring in a RHD that is under 25 years old. Currently you could bring in an 82 RHD cruiser to the states - but then you'd also have to be in a state that doesn't have a different year cut off.<br />
<br />
There may be something here that your importer is seeing that we aren't though.<br />
<br />
Best of luck. Getting them into the states from Canada is far easier than getting them from other locations. Rust of course is the downside.<br />
<br />
Also, depending on the state you are in, they may have different cut off years than DOT (Like California c which completely ignores DOT and EPA dates and makes up their own.)

I know nothing about importation law but I have to say that I had an English rhd '76 BMW 2002 in 1984 (I bought it in Newport Beach, Ca. and did not have anything to do with the importation process) Thats alot less than 25 years old. Of course in the last 23 years the rules may have changed.

NHTSA eligibility list

So I was looking at the NHTSA list. According to that all LC for 81 to 96 are eligible if they LHD. Are there sources of LHD LC's other than Canada? Maybe Mexico?

I really want to bring one of these in to CO/USA but it has to legal.

Thanks,

J

So I was looking at the NHTSA list. According to that all LC for 81 to 96 are eligible if they LHD. Are there sources of LHD LC's other than Canada?

Guatemala has them! There is a brand new '70 series pickup in the dealer showroom right now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom