Impact of OME 2.5" on ride quality *on roads*? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Guys -

Just got a super clean stock '94 FJ80. This is my first car I'm considering modifying for overlanding. Looking at the 2.5" OME lift + 285/75/16s BFG All-terrain KO2's -- seems like a solid combination that's highly recommended on other threads.

95 days of 100, this'll be a highway / city daily driver. What's the impact of the off-road mods to ride quality? Is OME better than stock suspension in all ways, or will it be softer, with more body roll? Will the knobby tires feel rough on roads?

Looking for some guidance, also happy for pointers to other threads. Thanks,
- Spence

I have the same setup ('92 with 2.5" OME on 295/75/16 KO2). Overall I felt the OME lift gave me a slightly stiffer ride. However, I have a VERY light everyday payload. I have stock bumpers, no armor, no 2nd or 3rd row seats, and no cargo other than about 150 lbs in tools and equipment. I suspect if it were loaded up more, the ride would be nicer. This is also comparing a new suspension with a 28 year old springs and skinny KYB shocks.

Stiffer, but not harsh. Feels tight and secure.

Next question for you would be what additional weight if any do you have on the truck? Bumpers, winch, etc. If nothing significant OME medium will give you a very good ride indeed. If you have any significant weight consider heavies. May be a little stiff for your daily driving.

The OME will give you a stiffer ride, very noticeable off road when in the rough. Not sure if it is the shocks or the springs. If you don't like a firm suspension, I would look elsewhere. That said, good bang for the buck.

Hi Guys -

Just got a super clean stock '94 FJ80. This is my first car I'm considering modifying for overlanding. Looking at the 2.5" OME lift + 285/75/16s BFG All-terrain KO2's -- seems like a solid combination that's highly recommended on other threads.

95 days of 100, this'll be a highway / city daily driver. What's the impact of the off-road mods to ride quality? Is OME better than stock suspension in all ways, or will it be softer, with more body roll? Will the knobby tires feel rough on roads?

- Spence

What vehicles have you driven in the past? That will set the precedent of what you feel as stiff.

Hi Guys -

- Spence
Just remember, any increase in weight or tire size will alter the way it drives and rides from stock (and will detract from fuel economy). I went with the OME 2.5" lift 16 yrs ago. Still running the 2.5" lift, but recently replaced the shocks with new OME 60020 & 60018 w/rear stone guards due to mileage and yrs owned. OME is better than stock for performance, not comfort. Of course, the 80 is not the most comfortable rig around, but it's been occasionally touted for it's "Cadillac like ride" compared to others of it's time. The 80 is an excellent choice for overlanding, IF it's well maintained. But not the best choice for a DD, considering it's poor fuel economy. I've seen a lot of complaints recently about fuel mileage in this forum and on the 80 series group on FB. Most of them from owners that have modified rigs, so that's something to keep in mind concerning DD use. Aggressive tires will also drag down your fuel economy and may be louder than you'd want for a DD. There are the few that run their modified 80 as a DD, negatives be damned....and that's completely understandable....at least in my book. :cheers:

Last edited:
You may also look at other makes for springs / shocks. They seems to be softer.

I have an OME 2.5" lift with the "heavy" springs and DD my truck with about 90% on road and a little off road. I put on about 20K miles each year. I regularly carry about 800 LB of tools and supplies, a rear wheelchair lift, and I have a winch with steel cable on the front as will eventually have a full bull bar on the front.

The additional things you will need to consider when doing the lift, depending on age of other parts:
1) All new Toyota suspension and sway bar bushings
2) Caster correction plates or Delta replacement lower control arms
3) Rear track bar correction bracket from Delta
4) Match the shocks to the springs.

The four items above will do the most to keep your "stock" driveability.

I would guess Dobinson's springs will give a softer ride than the OME brand.

OME has a long life reputation because they've been around longer, but there are many here that think their ride is a bit stiff.
Toyota (Tokico) stock shocks will work with the OME 2.5" lift and will give a more factory ride than many of the aftermarket shocks. They are also less expensive. You just won't be able to do lots of flexing and articulation because the length will be limited by the shock.

Thanks guys - this is super helpful context. Can't express my gratitude!

@Brentbba - not planning on adding any additional armor / bumpers at this point -- so was thinking about keeping it medium OME 2.5". Next mod I'd consider is rock sliders (~200 lbs), but not 100% sure yet. How much weight would justify bumping up to the OME heavy springs?

@tacocat - actually used to drive my dad's old FJ80 -- so pretty familiar with the feel of this vehicle stock. Used to have a Defender 90 also, so that was very high up.

@80t0ylc and @BILT4ME - thanks guys for the super detailed advice! Again, solid knowledge. Will make sure to put it to good use.

Do you know if there's a good thread for a "standard" beginners overlanding build from stock? Like a no-regrets well-priced build that does most stuff. Thanks,
- Spence

Firstly, congrats and welcome to the 80 club! Next, what BILT said.

I've got your classic OME 2.5" lift running AT 37s on an otherwise stock '97 that's used to run errands like a Prius. To serve as reference, I've literally run the fanciest ICON suspension setup on a 200 and owned a few other lifted and stock Toyota SUVs in the past. Interestingly, the oldest and highest mileage of the bunch (current 80) has been the most fun to drive with zero ride quality complaints other than NVH which really just comes down to generational tech and regulations.

I do have the Delta 4" arms (~4+ caster), all new OEM suspension bushings, Delta panhard bracket running medium OME springs + OME Nitro shocks. Both axles fully refreshed running 4.88 Nitro gears. Landtank's (errr Wits' End) DC front dshaft and new rear OEM dshaft. Just for parts alone here, you're looking at ~$7K worth of driving joy.

Your initial bid to lift 2.5" with a ~32/33" tire seems like a good way to begin exploring a modded 80 world. Take a bite-sized approach from there based on your needs and familiarization of the platform. This is what I did. I built the plane as it was flying eventually ending up with something I'm overjoyed with present day.

When the I do choose to "upgrade", I'll likely go with BP51s to give me some headroom.

Last edited:

@Brentbba - not planning on adding any additional armor / bumpers at this point -- so was thinking about keeping it medium OME 2.5". Next mod I'd consider is rock sliders (~200 lbs), but not 100% sure yet. How much weight would justify bumping up to the OME heavy springs?

@tacocat - actually used to drive my dad's old FJ80 -- so pretty familiar with the feel of this vehicle stock. Used to have a Defender 90 also, so that was very high up.

@80t0ylc and @BILT4ME - thanks guys for the super detailed advice! Again, solid knowledge. Will make sure to put it to good use.

Do you know if there's a good thread for a "standard" beginners overlanding build from stock? Like a no-regrets well-priced build that does most stuff. Thanks,
- Spence

You drove a D90, you’re in for a treat. I almost want a Rover to really improve my mechanical aptitude. I was hoping you weren’t going to type that your previous rig was an Escalade.

OME is a solid reliable choice. Bear in mind that OME was born in bred in Australia where carrying everything you needed into the Outback at good rates of speed are the name of the game. As such many have found their suspension to be on the stiffer side. So don’t go heavy if your rig is stock and light.

BTW, where are you located?

I bought mine with an OME lift already on it, I looked it up when I bought it and it's the standard lift for an unmodified 80. Like you I really expected a soft and wallowy ride, but as others have said it's remarkably firm on the road, even handling curvy roads WAY better than I ever dreamed it might.

- Spence
200lbs is no more than one warm body in a seat, so that certainly wouldn't justify going heavies Spence.

A little history on my lift journey from a very worn out stock suspension. I'm the original owner of my truck. First went with just new shocks and not much add'l weight at the time. Some improvement, but still wallowed so went with OME medium stock height shocks/springs and wow what a difference that made in the handling. Eventually wanted some lift and by that time if memory is any good, I had an ARB front bumper, perhaps already with the winch, sliders, t-case skid plate and a Kaymar rear bumper with tire carrier. Don't think I had the fridge, tool drawer, etc in the truck yet but went with the OME 2-3" heavy lift. That was back in 2006! I also run Airlift bags in the rear coils as I towed a 4000lb trailer for my scout troop back then too! No longer do that, but the airbags are still there because the bump stops were removed. At this point, the heavies are getting old and I've also added a RTT and Puma air compressor to the weight factor so I'll be staying with heavies all around when I replace a 14 year old suspension at some point.

I have the OME 2.5 with nitro chargers. Rides like complete garbage for around town driving. Guess I have high expectations, but man I want to go different direction. You hit a small bump and sounds like you have no springs or shocks on the 80 and can feel it all through your spine. There is another post we’re a guy from Georgia also hated the OME. He did a bunch of research and switched to Icon. Night and day difference he said. I ordered some Eibach shocks to switch out because they were on sale for cyber Monday. Will see if that helps out the ride.

Al
I have the OME 2.5 with nitro chargers. Rides like complete garbage for around town driving. Guess I have high expectations, but man I want to go different direction. You hit a small bump and sounds like you have no springs or shocks on the 80 and can feel it all through your spine. There is another post we’re a guy from Georgia also hated the OME. He did a bunch of research and switched to Icon. Night and day difference he said. I ordered some Eibach shocks to switch out because they were on sale for cyber Monday. Will see if that helps out the ride.

Also was reading back through, but if you do fall for the OME. Do not do Heavies unless you plan on carrying a ton of weight. I have mediums in the rear with an arb bumper and tire carrier and I could still prolly add another 400 pounds before it even started to squat.

Al

Also was reading back through, but if you do fall for the OME. Do not do Heavies unless you plan on carrying a ton of weight. I have mediums in the rear with an arb bumper and tire carrier and I could still prolly add another 400 pounds before it even started to squat.

Lastly I will see what I can I find a reasonable build tread the cost of aftermarket products and parts are insane. Just look at some stuff from delta looks great, but geez $600 for a center console just because it’s an 80. Then people will argue on the economics of it. Whatever side your one my issurance company says blue book is 5k if it’s crashed or stolen. They don’t care if I put in a 600 dollar center console. I can do Hagerty policy at 200 a month for 15k worth coverage. But who want to pay that much in insurance. I have 2019 Armada that is less to insure. So really my point is keep things in context and as you stated try to keep costs low.

Lots of great advice.

I Iove the way a "properly" lifted 80 drives!

The best advice I have found is to properly match your suspension purchase with parts that work well together AT the weight (and where placed) that YOU will be operating.

Along with the forum builds there are good retailers (typically Slee or Cruiser Outfitters for me) that can help you match up your goal with products that have a history of working well together.

Good luck and enjoy the greatest SUV ever built, in my opinion, which means little!!

Hi, We like ours with the OME lift.Ride is fine. Mike

Before you buy anything why don't you give @crikeymike a call and tell him exactly what you have, what ride you are looking for and what type of driving you will be using it for. He is really willing to spend some time on the phone and help you figure things out. I found it a lot more helpful than running around here on the forums...although they help a ton! ....but you get answers immediately to your specific questions and things you weren't even thinking beforehand. He helped me out a lot.

Before you buy anything why don't you give @crikeymike a call and tell him exactly what you have, what ride you are looking for and what type of driving you will be using it for. He is really willing to spend some time on the phone and help you figure things out. I found it a lot more helpful than running around here on the forums...although they help a ton! ....but you get answers immediately to your specific questions and things you weren't even thinking beforehand. He helped me out a lot.

Slee was really helpful as well when I called them. As stated these forums are good, but will sometimes lead you into the complete wrong direction.

Lastly I will see what I can I find a reasonable build tread the cost of aftermarket products and parts are insane. Just look at some stuff from delta looks great, but geez $600 for a center console just because it’s an 80. Then people will argue on the economics of it. Whatever side your one my issurance company says blue book is 5k if it’s crashed or stolen. They don’t care if I put in a 600 dollar center console. I can do Hagerty policy at 200 a month for 15k worth coverage. But who want to pay that much in insurance. I have 2019 Armada that is less to insure. So really my point is keep things in context and as you stated try to keep costs low.

Don't buy the $265 plus shipping Delta Panhard Bracket. Get the $105 EIMKeith one, and it's better. I also don't agree with Delta pricing as I'm thrifty.

Smart answer would be to get new OEM height aftermarket springs. That way, you don't need new shocks, sway drops, bump extensions, panhard adjustments, swaybars, Double Cardan joints... the list goes on and the cost adds up quick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom