Impact of OME 2.5" on ride quality *on roads*? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Don't buy the $265 plus shipping Delta Panhard Bracket. Get the $105 EIMKeith one, and it's better. I also don't agree with Delta pricing as I'm thrifty.

I’m so cheap, I lick my Scotch bottles dry. However, I don’t know if I would call either bracket better. The Delta Bracket has a more complicated construction and some solid hardware.

It’s definitely an expensive little piece of kit to make, and It is also much more friendly to those who do not weld or like to paint stuff.

A year ago I took my parent's one owner triple locked 97 off their hands. It was an extra vehicle and they wanted it gone and I didn't want to see them fire sell it. It needed tons of work, worn out original suspension being one item on the list. I didn't need another LC so I took the cheap approach to keep costs down. Last year I bought the entry level Ironman 2" kit on Black Friday delivered for less than $600. Since installing I added the Landtank caster plates and the Delta Panhard bracket which I found discounted in the Classifieds. All in I'm a touch over $1K for the suspension and my truck drives and rides really nice, I'm super pleased with the outcome for the price and time invested. I've enjoyed it so much that I handed my DD 4Runner off to my daughter and am DD'ing the 80 now.

I didn't care for the ride quality of the OME shocks on my 40 without being loaded down, so I switched to Bilstein's and there was a noticeable improvement. There a bunch of ways you can go with your suspension and lots of solid vendors. Without heavy armor stay away from the heavy rated springs and I think you will be fine.

A year ago I took my parent's one owner triple locked 97 off their hands. It was an extra vehicle and they wanted it gone and I didn't want to see them fire sell it. It needed tons of work, worn out original suspension being one item on the list. I didn't need another LC so I took the cheap approach to keep costs down. Last year I bought the entry level Ironman 2" kit on Black Friday delivered for less than $600. Since installing I added the Landtank caster plates and the Delta Panhard bracket which I found discounted in the Classifieds. All in I'm a touch over $1K for the suspension and my truck drives and rides really nice, I'm super pleased with the outcome for the price and time invested. I've enjoyed it so much that I handed my DD 4Runner off to my daughter and am DD'ing the 80 now.

I didn't care for the ride quality of the OME shocks on my 40 without being loaded down, so I switched to Bilstein's and there was a noticeable improvement. There a bunch of ways you can go with your suspension and lots of solid vendors. Without heavy armor stay away from the heavy rated springs and I think you will be fine.

Fire sell it!

j/k. Did the same with my parents 2003 4Runner with 450K miles.

I really think the Dobinson Flexicoils and Fox Shocks are really good for the price and a lightweight cruiser. With a rear bumper, front bumper, heavy spare, and gear in the rear, both the Flexicoils and Fox cannot keep up with the weight. The ride was very good both on and offroad. @crikeymike

Did you get the foam cells? All I see on the website is the 2” stage one for $1,449.00. Was it this kit or a different one. $600.00 seems absurdly cheap for a kit with shocks and springs.

Did you get the foam cells? All I see on the website is the 2” stage one for $1,449.00. Was it this kit or a different one. $600.00 seems absurdly cheap for a kit with shocks and springs.

Came with the gas shocks which have been fine so far. This was the kit minus the steering damper, I went Monroe from rock auto for that.

This is extremely helpful. Thanks guys for offering such excellent advice!

Another random question I've been thinking about -- how much does armor impact ride quality?

Adding Front & Rear bumpers + rock slides = 800 lbs extra weight. How noticeably is that in driving agility / steering. I could see anything from "800 lbs is nothing but 4 bodies" to "noticeably sluggish."

Thanks,
- Spencer

This is extremely helpful. Thanks guys for offering such excellent advice!

Another random question I've been thinking about -- how much does armor impact ride quality?

Adding Front & Rear bumpers + rock slides = 800 lbs extra weight. How noticeably is that in driving agility / steering. I could see anything from "800 lbs is nothing but 4 bodies" to "noticeably sluggish."

Thanks,
- Spencer
Most owners don't add all that weight at once so it's a usually a gradual change of handling. If it's a highly desireable mod that you've added you'll just accept the difference, jazzed with the knowledge of the benefits of that mod. But you have a good point. If you want to see the accumulated effect of 800 lbs of mods on handling, put four 200 lb friends in your rig and go for a ride. If nothing else, it'll show the need for a suspension upgrade, before armor is added.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom