Imogene Pass on Stock AHC Suspension? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Heard all I needed to hear when the article said it was a guy in a Jeep from Cali....

Seriously though, the back country etiquette of giving right of way to uphill traffic goes back to days of wagons. AFAIK it is not an actual law, but I am not a lawyer.

Agreed - uphill has always been the general rule. While there are circumstances where right of way should go to the downhill driver (# in party, safety of pull-off, distance to a bypass, ability to reverse on trail, clearing an obstacle, etc.) what seems to be happening is that the supply of common sense continues to dwindle. Regardless of the rules to assault someone over something this petty is just pathetic.

The local boards are saying the local from Montrose had no safe pull off without a dangerous reverse, while the Jeep driver had ready access to one but continued pressing on. Based on the location of the vehicles on the trail, in addition to having right-of-way, it was pretty clear cut.

To improve on matters, he didn't report the altercation and went to the bar directly after, while the other driver was unconscious and needed to be hospitalized.

Last edited:
15psi is usually my starting point. If the trail gets really gnarly I drop to 12.
am I the only one comfortable airing down lower? I regularly air down to 15-18 psi on factory 16's with KO2s....

Imogene is fun and you should do it

I will run down that low, but only if my tires are already cold.

I've ran onto a trail in Gunnison a few years ago straight off the CR with hot tires in hot weather. Aired to around 15 PSI, ran the trail and camped overnight. Headed out early the next morning when the ambient air temp was 30+ degrees cooler and I'm sure my tires were 50 degrees colder than the day before.

Popped the bead on an obstacle. When airing up the other three they were between 8-10 PSI. Crazy difference between hot tires and cold tires, and hot ambient temps and cold ambient temps. Just food for thought!

Over time it can become a issue. Even regular tires at street pressures, if tire shop uses too much bead lube the tire will slip on the rim, can be as much as 3" in a couple of days of use. Seems like most tire shops think if a little is good a whole bunch is better. Some tire manufacturers did a study on why their tires were going out of balance not long after mounting and found this. At low pressure, tire slipping on rim becomes more likely and will wear the bead. The other issue at lower pressure is dust and sand can work its way in to the bead and chew on the rubber. This chewing can create very small leaks that are hard to find. So the black dust is the bead sealing surface wearing away. Don't have an idea how long it takes for this to become an issue, so I avoid going real low on pressure unless I really have to.

I’ve been doing some googling and I can’t really find any other discussion about this being a considerable issue. Is it wearing? Certainly, but is 3-4 hours of bead wear (let’s call it that) worse than what 3-4 hours of rocky trail are doing?

I’ve been doing some googling and I can’t really find any other discussion about this being a considerable issue. Is it wearing? Certainly, but is 3-4 hours of bead wear (let’s call it that) worse than what 3-4 hours of rocky trail are doing?
Expect the bead rubber is softer and a lot thinner than tread area, but will it wear out before the tire does? Maxxis Tires mentions bead chafing as an issue, but not how much of an issue. You are right no one says this will shorten your tire life by xx,xxx miles, so maybe not a major issue. Just saying why I don't go below 22psi very often.

Edit: We have highjacked this thread too long. I am starting a new thread on bead damage to see what folks have found.

Last edited:
I think these right of way rules probably cause more problems than they solve. I was once climbing (on foot) Democrat from Kite Lake, morning and off season, and came across two guys in a knock down, drag out, shouting match over right of way. Someone felt their rights had been violated. As best as I could tell we were the only three people on this very large mountain. It was a ridiculous scene because there was lots of space to work it out. But give someone the right of way and a certain portion of the population feels a need to show they have it and to protect it. It's not that hard to work it out as co-equals. In hiking/climbing there can be conflicts between local, state and federal rules, which raises the question of preemption which is a complex legal issue even for judges. Probably better to just say "people - be courteous, work it out" - then nobody comes in with a chip on their shoulder.

I think these right of way rules probably cause more problems than they solve. I was once climbing (on foot) Democrat from Kite Lake, morning and off season, and came across two guys in a knock down, drag out, shouting match over right of way. Someone felt their rights had been violated. As best as I could tell we were the only three people on this very large mountain. It was a ridiculous scene because there was lots of space to work it out. But give someone the right of way and a certain portion of the population feels a need to show they have it and to protect it. It's not that hard to work it out as co-equals. In hiking/climbing there can be conflicts between local, state and federal rules, which raises the question of preemption which is a complex legal issue even for judges. Probably better to just say "people - be courteous, work it out" - then nobody comes in with a chip on their shoulder.
Yup. Be kind out there. It's a rough enough world without people being an a**hole.

I just tip my hat to the ego driven of the world and offer a smile while yielding. Then I usually wonder what is going on in their lives such that they need such an insignificant seeming win to feel better about their day and try to send good vibes their way. As suprarx7nut said, the world is already challenging enough and that is without being draw into others madness.

That in you which recognizes madness as madness – even if it is your own – is sanity,
is the arising awareness, is the end of insanity.
– Eckhart Tolle

Last edited:
Black Bear and Imogene both were easy with stock AHC. I did every obstacle and only one spot gave me trouble, I got over just fine but if I had a rear locker I'd have been up on the first try. I'm on Nitto Ridge Grappler Tires size 285/65/18 https://amzn.to/3gMuphk

Here's my video from BB:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom