Immobilizer problem/ starting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good day, I am in the UK with my original 1997 FJ80 which has been near flawless for 22 years (like my FJ40 and HDJ100). However, I was unable to start vehicle suddenly this past week. I have had an issue with the remote locking doors for some time, but was always able to use the black key to lock manually the truck.. The truck WORKS with ONLY the original grey key. I am told that it is not possible to reprogram the original keys (black) and be able to use remote lock/unlock unless ignition cylinder changed, new locks etc. GBP 1500+. Is there another fix to this problem? And how do I make a copy of that grey key in case it were lost as no other keys will work?

I also can't get passenger front seat (electric) to go backwards -- it goes forward only. Can't figure that out as well.

Many thanks,
Ed

There is no "programming" for a key. A new key can be cut by any Toyota dealer using your VIN with valid registration.
The only programming is the remote (key fob).
Yes, there is for UK. There was another recent thread about this.

@Dave 2000 can you help?

See this thread:

Here is the key-- I am a bit confused though. If the single grey key operates the ignition and opens the doors, then I can live without having the remote FOB to open and lock all doors (although nice). But I need to make a copy of the grey key in case we were to lose it.

The FJ80 originally started in Finland, went to Russia, then Vermont, then Switzerland and now the UK....It is a true "land cruiser".

Am I correct, the only key Toyota could make based on VIN would operate door locks but NOT the ignition-- is that correct?

Many thanks

FJ80 Key.jpg

I also can't get passenger front seat (electric) to go backwards -- it goes forward only. Can't figure that out as well.

Common problem. Read through the following threads for more info:

Here is the key-- I am a bit confused though. If the single grey key operates the ignition and opens the doors, then I can live without having the remote FOB to open and lock all doors (although nice). But I need to make a copy of the grey key in case we were to lose it.

The FJ80 originally started in Finland, went to Russia, then Vermont, then Switzerland and now the UK....It is a true "land cruiser".

Am I correct, the only key Toyota could make based on VIN would operate door locks but NOT the ignition-- is that correct?

Many thanks

View attachment 2097939

Is it just me or does that key look to be carved by hand or severely damaged?

Have you compared the grey key to that one? May give you more insight into why it doesn't work. Truly, from the looks of it, I'm not at all surprised that it doesn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom