Imminent HG failure? Or normal coolant use? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What’s normal replacement of coolant like? How often and how much?

We have two cruisers in the family, nearly identical. A 96 & 97 both with 260k miles. The 96 had the HG done at some point, the 97 (seemingly) never did.

Both cars went through a solid baseline service and within 2,000 miles or so of that service both were out of coolant. We seem to be burning it at similar rates but hard to tell because one is a DD and the other only for trips.

I can’t tell whether to be more at ease or more concerned that they are both acting the same way. Are both head gaskets on the way out or is this standard coolant seep for a 260k car?Both run great, the 96 has more smoke than the 97. In fact, the 97 has a perfectly clean idle.

so what’s the consensus here. Do other people add coolant that often around here? Is there some other culprit or are we in for some major fixes?

3B424ADD-C7EB-49D5-AB2A-0DFC993E23F3.jpeg

2AEF82F0-31DA-4D5D-ACD5-A63630809FF8.jpeg

Most likely you have a old hose(s) that leak when the engine is hot and stop leaking when you park it.

To rule out a head gasket problem do a compression test, if good, replace all coolant hoses.

Think you can check pressure on radiator too for leaks.

Yeah any coolant use isn't normal. My cruiser used some around 250K miles and was not the head gasket. Ended up being part of the oil cooler system where the water tubes pass through or near the oil channel (sorry the name of the part escapes me) it, the wall got thin and was leaking. Sealed it up and all good, no coolant loss.

Most likely you have a old hose(s) that leak when the engine is hot and stop leaking when you park it.

To rule out a head gasket problem do a compression test, if good, replace all coolant hoses.

Think you can check pressure on radiator too for leaks.

The 97 was recently purchased and the PO was able to show good and very even compression across the board. So I know for sure that one is good as purchase was just a couple months ago and right before the baseline service.

I will check hoses but we haven’t noticed anything underneath either car. Would be great if it were hoses, just find it odd both cruisers have such similar issues

^. I think he meant compression check on your radiator not pistons.

One of the small hoses under the intake manifold could leak a little but it would never make it to the ground as it evaporates off the hot engine. It wouldn't take long to drop the coolant levels.

The 97 was recently purchased and the PO was able to show good and very even compression across the board. So I know for sure that one is good as purchase was just a couple months ago and right before the baseline service.

I will check hoses but we haven’t noticed anything underneath either car. Would be great if it were hoses, just find it odd both cruisers have such similar issues
Most likely the PHH.

As others over have said, no coolant should disappear. I have a 97 with 163k on the clock, that was losing coolant. No drips on the ground, and clean oil. It was making me nuts until I found dried coolant residue at the upper radiator hose connection. Took a minute.

When the system got hot, the coolant would seep out and get evaporated by the fan, leaving very little trace.

I have the same issue and concern. I did the rear heater delete and coolant hose bypass. It helped. But I do appear to have a HG issue and can see coolant externally weeping at cylinder 6, minor. So im still noticing low levels at the overflow tank after fill up to the line. I need to add a gallon of coolant for ever hr of driving it seems. Not good...

Id say check all of your coolant hoses and then HG. My rig has 276K on it and the HG has never been done.

From 277k miles when I purchased it until it blew the head gasket at to 296k miles, I had been losing a bit of coolant. I just kept it topped up until it finally blew on a trip. It was apparent when I pulled the motor apart that cylinder 6 had been getting steam cleaned by coolant for awhile.

My guess is you've got a "fun" project coming up.

What’s normal replacement of coolant like? How often and how much?

We have two cruisers in the family, nearly identical. A 96 & 97 both with 260k miles. The 96 had the HG done at some point, the 97 (seemingly) never did.

Both cars went through a solid baseline service and within 2,000 miles or so of that service both were out of coolant. We seem to be burning it at similar rates but hard to tell because one is a DD and the other only for trips.

Both cars were baselined by the same person within 2,000 miles? I bet the cooling wasn't burped properly, and both had air trapped in the system.

Pressure check the cooling system.
Does it hold the correct pressure?

You could bleeding coolant into a cylinder.
Is one of the sparkplugs cleaner than the others.

Heater core good and sound?

As someone already said. Is it possible there was air in the system that cleared. So the top off is all you need.

My 97 took a head gasket at 117k. @200k now, just breaking in....

Would adding dye help track where it may be going?

I haven't used a drop of coolant in the last 12k miles, so you shouldn't see anything going down. Are you getting anything in the overflow? That would point to a heating problem somewhere - thermostat or blocked radiator.

But the first test is easiest, cheapest, and most likely to find the problem. Rent a cooling system pressure tester from the local auto parts store. Super simple to use, pump it up to 15 psi or so and look for leaks. You might find your problem right away. I've done this on several cars, and the leaks are easy to spot. Fix what you find and then drive it. You might be good to go without worrying about big stuff like head gaskets.

I haven't used a drop of coolant in the last 12k miles, so you shouldn't see anything going down. Are you getting anything in the overflow? That would point to a heating problem somewhere - thermostat or blocked radiator.

But the first test is easiest, cheapest, and most likely to find the problem. Rent a cooling system pressure tester from the local auto parts store. Super simple to use, pump it up to 15 psi or so and look for leaks. You might find your problem right away. I've done this on several cars, and the leaks are easy to spot. Fix what you find and then drive it. You might be good to go without worrying about big stuff like head gaskets.
Ya, those testers can sometimes make quick work of finding the issue. I was battling a coolant leak for couple weeks. Just couldn't find it. Buddy swung by with his tester and bam few min later found a really hard to visually spot in the radiator seam sprung.

While I agree with the aforementioned tests, I suggest doing the easiest. Top it off, and see if it goes down again. I suspect just air pockets getting worked out. I did my PHH and coolant flush, in June or July, and it wasn't until I used my heat again later in December that I had my coolant disappear from my overfill. I held my proverbial breath, refilled the reservoir, and haven't had any noticeable coolant loss in 2 yrs. (and am about due for another flush...lol)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom