I'm screwed with my painless wiring...Read below (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I posted this on the painless forum. Nobody has helped. Hopefully someone can help here..

Greetings,

I'm having a problem getting my 1973 Landcruiser (with 350) to fire up. This is a complete rewire only using the headlight switch, brake switch from Toyota (complete mod resotration)>

I have a IDIDIT Universal column that I wired into the Painless kit. I used the starting relays that were provided in the IDIDIT kit. In addition, I wired in all the auxiliary lights (turn, brake and hazzard)into the IDIDIT colored pigtail.

Everything was connected and when I went to fire the truck up....noting
icon_sad.gif
. However, I can hear the relays activating (from the steering column).

I checked all the starter wires for voltage and all works with exception of the ingition relay going back to the starter (voltage in, none out). In addition, I checked the fuse box for voltage and I have voltage to all with exception of the turn siginals, electric fan (not running), heat, wipers, gauges and radio.

Finally, I checked the starter wire to (at starter) and it has no voltage when the inigition is turned (thanks wife for helping).

Did I make the mistake of using the relays that were included in the IDIDIT column or is there something else wrong? I took my time wiring and double, triple checked everything... I'm at a loss.

Please chime in to help a fellow chap

I don't know what an IDIDIT universal column is or why you would use it.

What is the point of all the relays? You don't normally see a relay on an igintion circuit for a old school 350 in a cruiser. It is just another thing to go wrong or wire incorrectly.

Still though, they are pretty simple. If you can hear them clicking, at least you know the operating coil is wired properly. Then you have to make sure that the power feed to the relay is OK and whether the relay is a normally open or normally closed type. If they are both (SPDT), then you have to make sure that the proper side is wired up.

Based upon what I"ve read on the Painless website, I don't need the relays that were included in the IDIDT System. The painless harness is already protected by the relay built into it. Now I have to hack out all the fauken relays and resolder all the inigition wires.

Lesson learned. I tried to over compensiate the system by overwiring. I should have read all that I could before I decided to incorporate the relays.

Happy Easter...and thanks for the feedback!

Best,

UNO

Relays don't offer protection to the circuit; fuses do. You see a lot more relays in modern cars, but that is because there are a lot more current consuming devices in modern cars. Using a relay means that you can use small wires for the circuits that control the relays and a short lenght of big wire for high power circuits. It saves money.

Whether you need the relays depends on the size of the wire used in the new column. If the wires and switches can handle the power, you don't need them. OTOH, I doubt that they include them for no reason.

It is always risky to second guess the Toyota engineers. They spent a lot of time thinking about the problem and coming up with the best solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom