I'm not obsessed, I was just trying to.......

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by flintknapper, Jul 21, 2005.

1. flintknapper

flintknapper

I usually have no trouble sleeping, but for some reason last night.. I just couldn't settle down. So...about 1:30 this morning I got up out of bed and went down to my shop and "pre-packed" the Wheel and Trunnion bearings that I'm going to install this weekend when I do the front axle service.

I was just thinking I could get that part out of the way. I packed them, put them back in their little plastic wrappers and back in their boxes (ready to use).

About 3:00 a.m. I came back up to the house and was washing my hands real well before going to bed. My wife had gotten up to use the restroom and asked me what in the devil I had been doing. I told her, she shook her head, accused me of being "obsessed" with that Cruiser.

Well, I do like the Cruiser....but honestly I was just trying to get a little ahead of the game and I couldn't sleep. I should have married my Lab, he understands!

2. fsusteve

fsusteve

Media:
    Albums:
    Sometimes I'll night owl online, but haven't worked on a truck yet.

3. patride71

patride71

hell i've been accused of this just for talking about my cruiser or cruisers in general too much....can't imagine if i worked on it in the middle of the night.
    she'd probably lock me out and make me sleep in it....

4. semlin

semlin discouraged user

Media:
    Albums:
    thought this would be an a/c repair thread for sure :D

my wife sorts out all photos of the cruiser taken during camping trips so she can show them to friends and family without explaining.

5. flintknapper

flintknapper

Funny.

No, that would be a "fixation" if I remember correctly.

6. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

They allow same sex marriages in Texas?

I have bouts of insomnia from time to time -- I tend to waste those hours on this forum...get something constructive done? Naw...that wouldn't allow me to procrastinate. :D

7. Trollhole

Trollhole THC Supporting Vendor Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    I like taking an ambien right befor I get online. Wake the board so much more interesting. It's like I can hear you saying it. As the keyboard melts away into my lap.............................................ahhhh this is nice. th letters are 3-d. MAn that is some good stuff. lets see what else is out there in mud. :eek:

8. semlin

semlin discouraged user

Media:
    Albums:

chill out dude :D

9. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet
    Um,

You did pack the trunions with molly grease, right?

And the wheel bearings with wheel bearing grease, right?

At that time of day your thought processes may have been a bit off-center and you may have not used the proper lubricants......:eek:

I often grab the wrong grease a 2 in the morning and that can be most embarrassing later...........:eek:

10. bad_religion_au

bad_religion_au

i have unfortunately, just the other day i pulled my other knuckle

before a good days wheeling if i can't sleep i've been known to change my tires over to my offroad set at 4am

oh and i don't have a garage, so i gotta do this on the street

11. bad_religion_au

bad_religion_au

common problem. :D

i always find it helpful to place each "type" of lubricant at different sides of the "workspace" and then memorise right hand for one application left for the other, top draw for one etc.

so even in the event of having to do your servicing in the dark you'll have the righ lubricant

12. swank60

swank60

Ahh, don't worry about it Flint...I just got up from the garage myself. Went down to put the truck in the garage, car in the driveway, and wound up spending an hour fiddling with my AC, then took it to the car wash so I could spray off all of the ultra violet dye crap off of it.

First off, I don't have a leak at the expansion valve I thought I did. I added freon (without the engine running) and I could hear a leak on or near the compressor. I've also figured out that the freon only leaks when the engine/AC isn't running (have I mentioned today how much I hate my truck?). You can't come to that sort of knowledge in the middle of the day. There's too much daylight (for the UV lights/dye/glasses) to be really effective, and it's too hot out, with no breeze. How can you think straight in stiffling heat with no cool breeze? I submit that you cannot.

13. flintknapper

flintknapper

Not plastic.

Yup, the trunnions live where the birfs. live.... so they get moly (like it or not).

The wheel bearings have been "segregated" so they are forced to make do with only wheel bearing grease.

I know its not fair, its certainly not politically correct, but I'm just following orders.

14. crushers

crushers post ho

whe i was younger and i couldn't sleep i would go into the garage and work on the crusier...hell i could work the entire night away and head off to work... i would sleep like a baby the next night...
    now i am old and lazy so i spend my time here when i can't sleep...

15. flintknapper

flintknapper

I guess I'll just read or something next time. God forbid I should do something productive. My wife thinks I'm nuts for doing "preventative" maintenance on our vehicles. Her position is: Why would I do anything to our cars that doesn't make them drive better.

In other words, she can't see the value in it until something is actually broken or not working correctly. Then, when it is fixed...she can see the fruits of the labor.

I guess I could put off the birf. repack I'm going to do this weekend and let the entire front end go to @%&!, that way she'll really feel good when I fix ALL of it.

I know women must have logic, but I'll be damned if I can find/understand it sometimes.

16. dieseldog

dieseldog She idles just fine . . .

Flint,
    Ask your wife if you should work on your marriage if it isn't broken, or wait until something bad happens. See what she says--I think the light will come on for her with this analogy.

17. mabrodis

mabrodis

No, no they don't.

18. flintknapper

flintknapper

Bingo!

Now thats why I come to this forum.

She'll no doubt come back with some snappy answer....but It'll be fun anyway.

19. TJDIV

TJDIV Back in The U.P.

Media:
    Albums:
    Nothing wrong with that Flint.

20. dieseldog

dieseldog She idles just fine . . .

Flint, whether she comes back with a snappy answer or not, I'm betting you'll probably get laid out of it. Stands to reason.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.