I’m new here - I don’t know anybody (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all you LC peeps!
I‘m proud to join the club
I’ve had my 2004 LC since June this year.
Thanks to this forum I’ve done the heater “T”’s, replaced the entire brake system, and have recently had the transmission & ECU replaced.
It’s currently running very well and I’m looking to join a local club and go off road

Welcome!
plenty of CA 100 brothers

Welcome aboard. Wow, right off the bat you had some big ticket items replaced! It is especially rare to see these trucks needing a new transmission and ECU. Do you know why they were replaced?

Welcome! And post up pics of your Hundy!

Welcome aboard. Wow, right off the bat you had some big ticket items replaced! It is especially rare to see these trucks needing a new transmission and ECU. Do you know why they were replaced?
There’s a transmission failure thread in here somewhere that describes exactly what happened to me, the dashboard lights up, the engine output disengaged from tranny in 5th gear, the 1-2 up shift really rough. CEL codes indicate valve body failure.
A Toyota remanufactured tranny was sourced and installed - problems remained. Toyota then said the ECU needed replacement - problems remained. Toyota the found a “neutral switch” issue and replaced that - all problems solved!!!

There’s a transmission failure thread in here somewhere that describes exactly what happened to me, the dashboard lights up, the engine output disengaged from tranny in 5th gear, the 1-2 up shift really rough. CEL codes indicate valve body failure.
A Toyota remanufactured tranny was sourced and installed - problems remained. Toyota then said the ECU needed replacement - problems remained. Toyota the found a “neutral switch” issue and replaced that - all problems solved!!!
For want of a nail ! 🤦‍♂️

glad it is all sorted out!

Welcome ! Yes, pics are always good.........

Welcome, and interesting notes on the neutral switch. This is a relatively easy repair and the part is not expensive.

I have yet to hear from a shop that has worked on a transmission failure on a 100, actually do a tear down and verify the source. So this is good info to have.

Welcome from So Cal! I am so frustrated with dealership mechanics. Haven’t had much luck with indies either.

good to have you join us. Sorry to hear about your ordeal. It is disappointing to hear that what sounds like a Toyota dealer did mess up the repair big time. If they had you replace the whole transmission plus the ECU for a defective switch, that is really bad. Like they could not start with the cheap stuff? I would push for some form of compensation with whoever did the first two. If you want to do that, have a look at the FSM or even a TSB to see if that switch is listed as something to check early on, that would give you very good ammunition. Good luck!

Welcome from not so sunny England, am I reading this correctly? You have replaced transmission and ecu that didn't need replacing?!

Pic
Welcome ! Yes, pics are always good.........
good to have you join us. Sorry to hear about your ordeal. It is disappointing to hear that what sounds like a Toyota dealer did mess up the repair big time. If they had you replace the whole transmission plus the ECU for a defective switch, that is really bad. Like they could not start with the cheap stuff? I would push for some form of compensation with whoever did the first two. If you want to do that, have a look at the FSM or even a TSB to see if that switch is listed as something to check early on, that would give you very good ammunition. Good luck!
yeah.......my thoughts were all over the place with regards to the points you raised. The Toyota dealership service department did make adjustments to the final bilI, I did get a Toyota rebuilt Aisin-Warner A750F tranny, a new ECU, and Neutral Switch. It is all working very well. I don’t want to spend any time fighting this, I just want to enjoy the vehicle

Welcome from not so sunny England, am I reading this correctly? You have replaced transmission and ecu that didn't need replacing?!
That would need to be proven and I do not wish to take on all that would be involved in doing that. The outcome is that the vehicle is now running vey well and I am able to enjoy it - that‘s what is most important to me.

Welcome from So Cal! I am so frustrated with dealership mechanics. Haven’t had much luck with indies either.
Thanks, I feel like things turned out for the best for me, the vehicle is now running very well and I am able to enjoy it and that’s the main reason I got it - to have fun with it. I’m not rich or wealthy, but I did have an amount of funds earmarked for maintenance and repairs and luckily where I am there are trustworthy repair options.

If you enjoy the vehicle and are fine with having spent the money than all is well. Enjoy the truck.

I would, however, go on a limb and caution that if you meant just above that the dealer who did the job is one of those trustworthy repair options, well -although admittedly with very limited information- it does not sound to me like they did a good job. I can't imagine that a trans and an ECU were not a ton of money. If you don't mind, that's fine. But there may be a point when you may want to spend only the truly necessary amount for a repair and it's good to know where to go and where not to go.

One of the things that we do here is to try to learn together about options and assessment. In particular to avoid potential problems with dealers and shops working on our trucks if we don't do it ourselves.

Enjoy the site and take advantage of the collective knowledge! Don't hesitate to ask anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom