I'm Leaking! Rear Main Seal, oil pan gasket repair get-together (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Had fun helping(err more like watching because of my surgery)Randy this past Saturday that I thought I might do something like this myself.

I'm looking at December 12th, a Saturday.

Things that need to be addressed:

1. Oil Pan gasket replacement(already have it in hand) I will try removing the old one the day before using the "bottle jack" method.

2. Rear Main seal:I'm leaking oil and it's probably a combination of the pan gasket and this seal, so since I'm already doing the pan, might as well do this.

3. Check out reason for transfer case linkage binding up. What parts might I need for this?(Is there rubber or something I should replace since I'll have the trans down?

4. Since I have the trans down, should I replace any other gaskets while I'm in there? I one day plan on getting a 5-speed, but I'll have to fix this trans from leaking for now. I notice too that 4th gear is noisy and was wondering if it'd be worth it to replace that gear/bearing?

5. Clutch? Feels good, but this would be the time to replace it I think.

So yeah, that's about it for now. I have a garage we can work out of and some air tools. I'm pretty sure I have everything we'd need unless someone could think of specialty tools that we might make use of(like a clutch tool or Tranny Jack or something like that)

I will provide Drinks, Food, Snacks and Strippers...(you wish), and some tunes to make the day go by. I have chairs and Ez-ups and cleaning supplies.

Anyone that could help would be great.

Hopefully I won't be putting anything on backwards...coughsixshootersrandycoughcough :D

I would say starting at around 9am would be good.

I live in Covina, in the San Gabriel Valley.

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
I am not sure what I am doing that weekend but if I am free I will be there.

Same here....

Jose, just an FYI, but the rear main seal is NOT accessible unless you remove the transmission and the entire clutch assembly from the bellhousing; it is locked in behind the flywheel

1. It would take most of a day on a very good day to do this.
2. You would probably want to have fresh seals on hand for the transmission and t -case while they are out of the truck [I just happen to know where you can get some!]
3. You should be prepared to replace clutch parts as necessary as well.

At this point I think I will be in town that weekend.:)

Thanks Mark...I figured as much about dropping the trans and clutch to get to it. I've been doing some research on here and noticed that was the case.

Sounds like a lot of fun, and even more of a learning experience.

:wrench:

Jose, just an FYI, but the rear main seal is NOT accessible unless you remove the transmission and the entire clutch assembly from the bellhousing; it is locked in behind the flywheel

1. It would take most of a day on a very good day to do this.
2. You would probably want to have fresh seals on hand for the transmission and t -case while they are out of the truck [I just happen to know where you can get some!]
3. You should be prepared to replace clutch parts as necessary as well.

At this point I think I will be in town that weekend.:)

Hell I'll bring my welder and we'll do a SOA at the same time. I will try to make it out. It is the week before final so it may be kinda tough. I have three weeks off starting 12/18

Hell I'll bring my welder and we'll do a SOA at the same time. I will try to make it out. It is the week before final so it may be kinda tough. I have three weeks off starting 12/18

SOA? Whoa! I'm sure we could find something for you to weld. You could also let Frank show off his skills too.

Hope you can make it. If I don't get this done that day, I could even take a day off work and work on it during the week.

I never did do that Valve Adjustment or the Roof Caulking and my back tailgate is all off and rattles which is REALLY annoying.

Oh, and I'm trying to track down a vibration that driving me nuts. Does it at freeway speeds. :bang:

So see, even if you didn't make it to this one, there's always something else we can find to do.

BTW, Peter, how's that Swap going? can't wait to "hear" it.

Thanks

Peter.. leave the welder behind, finish that truck and drive it this way so we all can look at it... eh !!

So, I've been on the lookout for a H55 5 speed with no luck so I'll just do what I originally planned and that's to stop the leaks on this tranny.

I also just ordered the upgraded brake calipers, rotors and master cylinder...oh, and pads.

Should be fun.

So, I've been on the lookout for a H55 5 speed with no luck so I'll just do what I originally planned and that's to stop the leaks on this tranny.

I also just ordered the upgraded brake calipers, rotors and master cylinder...oh, and pads.

Should be fun.

Order? I don't remember any order!

;p

I'll be at the shop, working on a different FJ60 tomorrow.

Best

Mark A.

Anyone have a Transmission Jack I could use for the day? I'd hate to have to use a regular floor jack.

Thanks!

I have the cradle that attaches to a full size floor jack. You are more than welcome to use it.

Chad

I have the cradle that attaches to a full size floor jack. You are more than welcome to use it.

Chad

Thanks Chad!

I will let you know when I'm available to go pick it up. I appreciate it.

Jose

Oh, what area do you live in?

I'm in Granada Hills. Close to the 405/118 interchange.

Chad

So it looks like it might be raining this Saturday...:mad:

So, I was thinking of maybe moving this wrenching get-together to the following week Saturday (Dec 19th).

What do you guys think?

If this doesn't work for most of us, I'd have no problem moving it after the New Year so that we could get the most bang for our wrench like those that want to help to learn because they have never done this before like myself.

Let me know.

Thanks

Jose. Let me know when you decide to do this.... yeah after new years would be best at least for me.. but again if given enough notice.. I should be able to come out and help...

laters,

Frank

Jose. Let me know when you decide to do this.... yeah after new years would be best at least for me.. but again if given enough notice.. I should be able to come out and help...

laters,

Frank

Thanks Frank! It looks like it will definitely rain on Saturday. If it doesn't, I think I'll work on my 04 since it needs a front brake job done on it badly.

How does January 9(Sat)2010 sound to you guys? let me know. I'm flexible with the date. If a Sun works better for most, we can do it on the 10th.

Thanks

Okay, a slight change here. Forgot that I have something to do on the 9th of January so how does the following Saturday the 16th sound?

I'm sure I can remind everyone at next month's meeting.

I appreciate whoever can show and let me know how that date works for everyone.

Thanks

Guess what?

Changing the date again so that RandyFJ62 can join. I'm now looking at January 23rd(sat). If this doesn't work for anyone, please let me know and we can adjust the date if need be.

Again, there is no rush since this is not my DD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom