1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm in trouble...

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by T Y L E R, Jun 28, 2005.

1. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

I think the month or so of ephedrine laced allery meds I've been on are about to cause a meltdown. This happened once before when I cycled on the triple stack way too long. Can anyone relate to this ?? I'm fawked and I need to get under control ..

Something triggered me today at work, and I've been in an adrenaline dump ever since. Instead of expressing my dismay at some officers lack of professional courtesy on a call, I ended up internalizing it all .. and now I'm in trouble. It's just the trigger .. ephedrine loaded the gun again. Last time this happened I took 3 months off of work .. paid. But back then I didn't know what was going on .. I continued on the triple stack (ephedrine/aspirin/caffeine=thermogenic) and fought every Friday nite. Cut down to 172 lbs - 195 is pretty normal!

So rather than kill someone I need to get this off my chest, cut out the allergy meds with the ephedrine and cool down. I NEVER thought that a little allergy pill would have a similar effect .. but I guess I do poorly with speed :eek:

Right now my hands are still vibrating .. my ears are beet red, I'm probably hypertensive .. next is the nose bleed .. and a craving for conflict.

Fawkin allergies .. can't win for losin. I'll get on the non-sinus/non-ephedrine Reactine and all will be fine. Part of me hates to start this thread .. knowing all will be fine in a while. Another part of me remembers the nitemare I went thru before and feels compelled to externalize this .. and express whats going on right now to guys here I consider friends . Nice to at least know whats going on this time though ..

Say no to anything ephedrine !

Anyways to anyone that gives a rats ass .. thanx. Thanx for listening to this crap.

TY

2. Cruisin'Carolina

Cruisin'Carolina

Best of luck to you.

Good news is that at least this time you have a much better sense of body/mind, and know what your body is telling you...

It sucks though that you are caught between allergies or this with that medication.

I have no idea what to suggest, just can offer support for you to do what you need to do.....Sounds like you need some fluids, an allergy shot of some kind, and maybe hang a punching bag in the middle of your living room.

I really have no idea what to tell you, good luck and I'm sure you will receive support here. Maybe that help alone will get you through....

:beer:

3. PolterGeist

PolterGeist

I once took pills with ephedrine in them.... at the same time I was on prozac.

Not good.

I was thru the roof manic, didn't sleep for about 3 weeks, bit off way more projects than I could chew at work... Nearly every night I'd get out of work at like 5pm, and drive straight to Vegas, get there at 9 pm, drink party, fawk, gamble the night away, then leave at 5 am to get back to work by 9am...

Did that for about a week straight...

My P-Doc found out and was about to have me commited, when he found out my GP had me taking ephedrine... He nearly went berserk himself...

I was taken off of everyting and allowed (not so gracefully mind you) to crash. It wasn't fun. All the projects at work I took.... At my peak I was doing 5 times as much work as anyone else in my division, and boss loved it... I had to call in and tell him "I'm not going to be at work this week, and when I get back, I'll be in no state to do all that work."

I know where you're at. I was there and kept right on going past it....

Steve

4. Liam

Liam

Media:
    Albums:
    at least you are catching it and fixing the issues...good luck and remember "crack is wack"

5. Cruisin'Carolina

Cruisin'Carolina

I hope more will express their experiences, but I am really thinking you need to see someone and fill them in on history a bit.

It might enable your MD to step up to another alternative justifiably....

6. concretejungle

concretejungle SILVER Star

Dude, go to the gym and pump iron or punch a bag! Quick!

7. Koffer

Koffer

Hey T
    I hear yea . I have had some good melt downs to the point im lucky Im not in the Pen .
    I have threatened teachers (when younger tossed the wresling coach across the room when he jumped on my back when I was beating the snot out of a loud mouth kid in school) coworkers ,bosses, and others to the point Ive been lucky I dont carry weapons other then my stupid 6'3" 350 # self.
    Your line of work will do it to you as I was in EMS and had to get out .
    I still have problems but meds have helped
    Atleast you know whats causing the problem and can work with it .
    My temper has made me not want kids as I would never want them to deal with me or if they won the wacko gene from me .
    If it wasnt for the Criuiser :princess: keeping me in one piece I most likly not be here today as I would have self destructed 10 years ago :frown:

8. treerootCO

treerootCO Where are my keys?! SILVER Star

The photochops slowed way down when I stopped taking ephedrine...

9. Romer

Romer fatherofdaughterofromer Moderator

Man, and we thought it was because of a woman :D

10. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

Good ol' ECA stacks -- what a fun ride that can be. I know why people do it though...it works. Nasty side effects for some though.

I've been there. And although I got a bit wound up, I never had a reaction as severe as what you're describing..

Get off the ephedrine.

Hang in there, it'll pass.

11. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

Ok .. feeling a bit better ... ate a bit , took a NON-ephedrine allergy pill for nite time. Had a vitamin E 800. Starting to come down ..

Listening to Norah Jones, Cassandra Wilson .. and having a few belts of port on the balcony .

It means a LOT that you guys are chiming in with your support and understanding of where I'm coming from.

I'll delve into a bit more depth on the 'feeling' of it in a little while ..

It has disastrous potential, but is as easy as stopping ....

And I just remembered I had my last pill (ran out) YESTERDAY!! This may be a withdrawl side affect .. duhhhhhhh .. never thought of that until a few minutes ago ..

TY

12. Lashcat

Lashcat

Ephedrine is bad joo joo for me. I am a very easy going guy. I was taking it in a weight loss pill olong whit a bunch of other stuff while weight lifting. That crap made me very aggressive. I did not like how i was acting so I dropped all the stuff and went all natural and did just fine until my lazy ass stopped working out.

Try to stay away form that stuff, and I wish you well. At least you know what is causing it. You are ahead of most people.

Tony

13. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

Tony, that is my story. And try as I may with researching on the web when it happened the last time, I could not correlate major aggression with ephedrine. That pissed me off more ;) Found lots on people stroking out from it .. and I can see that . The day I went home from work .. that morning I was pale .. coworkers commented I looked like crap .. was heart was racing , I would get palm sweats , and finally while I was leaning against a counter .. envisioning some aggressive scenario I'm sure .. my nose suddenly began bleeding! Less than an hour later came the trigger .. and I melted down in a very controlled manner. I went into another room alone .. kicked a chair .. doing NO damage to anything. Unfortunately my partner at the time chose NOT to respect this needed time out and followed me into the room .. and with a glib, yet stern sxpression asked "you gonna be ok ???"

a moment later I was on the phone to the supervisor .. booked off the rest of the shift .. phoned dispatch ,. passed on the news that I was going home sick. And returned ........ the next year.

MUCH of these signs and symptoms are framed within the ephedrine. It really ****s with my mind. I become potentially VERY aggressive at the drop of a hat! Most of it will remain hidden unless you look at my eyes. Then you realize that the adrenaline has dumped into my system. I may also LOOK for a fight .. or a conflict. Ironically it is also a great bronchiodilator , and dries up my sinuses. It also turns me towards the type A pole .. making more productive as others have noted in themselves. And as part of the triple stack it becomes a thermogenic component and therefore weight loss begins .. always a nice side effect.

Last time - I was taking the American Hydroxycut and had cycled up to 10 pills a day ... and went on like that for many months WITHOUT cycling off !!! :eek:

No s*** I melted!

But it gave me the insight to see a mini-melt in the works .. and tonite it will begin lessening it's hold on me I hope ..

And I should lay off those double shot expresso mochas. That alone can sometimes cause a jump in BP and aggression .. should have seen the ingredients being thrown together before my eyes . :rolleyes:

Oh well .. nothing has happened this time except a few sentences that may have been misinterpretted by a person or two .. but nothing that cannot be rectified.

My sinuses are going ballistic tonite .. this sucks, but in the grand scheme of things I have NOTHING to really complain about ..

Bitch .. yes . Honestly complain .. no.

*sniffle-hack-cough....*

TY

14. wsdavies

wsdavies

You need to get off that crap all together...If you can't handle the allergies up there then you need to move to the desert some where...build yourself an eco-friendly house and write haikus...maybe smoke some doobage :p

15. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

That my friend is EXACTLY where I'd like to be in life right now ..

.. phuck how do I find my way ??

TY

16. srafj40

srafj40

Ty:

Know where you are at. Living in California back in the 80"s (love that phrase), I was on Thodore and Optimin (sp) while inhaling Alupent. Notice all three are no longer produced.

This lead me to not taking anything at all. Then last year :princess: expressed in kind words that she was tired of hearing my snorting :confused: . I am now using Alegra 60 seasonaly. Not bad.

Do not let anyone lead you to think that moving to the desert will fix alergies. People plant the dumbest things down here trying to bring where they came from to the desert. :confused:

17. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

borred this one ..

edit : first off I can't even spell borrowed .. secondly that haiku was abrasive at best ..

Yeah, I can see people poisoning the desert with greenery. *L*

TY

18. turbocruiser

turbocruiser SILVER Star

Ty, I hope you wont laugh at this advice but prior to pushing any meds around (my career is in an area of healthcare that tends to push alotta meds around) I always look towards the more holistic and more gentle approach. I'm not sure how serious your allergies are and in many cases they are too serious for this trick to work but two things that take the edge of almost any allergy case are:

1: Avoiding excessive dairy exposure.

2: Taking about two tablespoons of LOCAL honey every morning and every night either on its own or with your favorite coffee. The reason the LOCAL honey is so helpful is that the bees are using all the local pollens to produce the honey. Within the honey are the "antigens" to those particular pollens. If your allergies are related in any way to the plant populations around you, this will help IMMENSELY.

Again, as i write this i hope you are not thinking that i'm minimizing your condition into something so Zen but if anyone can appreciate Zen, my canuckian buddy, its you, so give it a try. I hope that helps, sincerely. :cheers:

19. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

If you could see me sitting here right now .. eyes red, watering .. sinuses aching .. Kleenex stuffed into my right nare. Lethargic .. distraught, you'd realize how unfunny your suggestion is to me!

I'll pick up the honey tomorrow. I've been spending hrs on end on my balcony, just feet from the woods nearby. Though 40 feet above the ground .. it wouldn't surprise me if this outdoor time is a contribution. And unfortunately when this flares up my cat becomes the enemy as well. But what can I do there but wash my sheets more regularly .. plus I have to remember to take her outside and brush her shedding fur much more frequently.

Again, I need little incentive to encourage me to ingest honey .. I love that stuff! And I guess I'll fire up my coffee machine again, and skip the rich mochas for now in favour of a nice home brew. Going to miss those Valencia Mochas though Doug.

Thanks again for the suggestion Turbo,

TY

20. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug

This isn't going to be a short term solution, but it may be a life changing one.

I have a fairly high strung personality. By that, I mean internally my mind is always running under a load it seems to need to generate by itself. I'm at a marina the other day pulling in under treacherous winds with good potential to damage the boat and realize I'm actually splitting my attention between my own situation and watching with fascination as a lady is failing to grab a line that will give their boat a nice scratch. Why? My mind's got enough to do but it willingly latches onto more stuff seemingly on its own just to challenge me. Whenever there's a spare 5% it seems to want to use it for...something - anything.

I also have a fairly high stress life in that I run my own businesses.

A long time ago, I discovered the joy and pain of bicycle riding and racing and I'm going to suggest you consider this or running/jogging if you have the knees for it. There's a reason the stereotypical high paid business execs, nearly all recent US presidents, and the stereotypical go-getters are runners or engage in a similar activity. These types of activities simply do something really, really good for people like that, and you are clearly a highly intelligent guy with a highly active mind. So you fit the mold.

When your body's operating at a high level of constant exertion in the top 20% of its capacity for 30 to 60 minutes, all manner of body chemicals, blood fluids, and organ functions just seem to snap to attention and re-rack themselves for a fresh start. Most adults never experience this remarkable feeling and those of us who do it regularly marvel at the rest of the world and what they miss.

Naturally, you'll also reap huge health benefits from it. My best buddy and riding bud used to use an Albuteral inhaler and some other stuff I can't remember the names of to control his allergies and he sounds just freakin' like you. He's an RN and also the Hospital Supervisor several night shifts a week. He's now been riding for 7 years and hardly ever uses the stuff, and he's become an extremely fast rider.

I hope this sounds less preachy than it reads so far. I have literally had serious pains and things recede into the background from working my cardiovascular system and sped up healing. My theory is that the body is an incredibly adaptable thing. It's the only machine you own that can fix itself and if you beat on it, sensors throughout tell it to heal stuff, adjust things and generally shape up for action because the guy running the machine wants it to rock. You wanna get out some aggression? Bring it on, dude. You haven't lived until you've run your heart/lungs to redline, then backed it off a tick and held it there for 10 minutes. Then 30 minutes. An hour. It feels so good to quit you'll re-evaluate all that is good in life. And I predict that, like me, it will recenter you in every sense of that word.

Riding is my shot of passion when life doesn't deliver it on my schedule. Riding transports me more than physically. In fact, the physical transportation aspect of it becomes a weak metaphor for what you'll discover it can really do to/for you. What's incredible about it is you can change it based upon your needs of the moment. Need to just relax and shake off a wierd night shift? Head out to clear your head and spin robotically listening to some music. Feel like getting down and tearing something up? Slam a caffeine laced gel, fill your water bottles with an energy mix, pump the tires to 125psi, put on your most obnoxious jersey and go full bore until snot's running down your upper lip and you think you're going to die.

Running and biking are unlike other sports. These are constant motion, and you can efficiently beat the crap out of yourself in a short amount of time with the pace completely up to you and your mood. There's simply nothing like it and you'll babble like a 12 year old when you've got it under your skin.

Disclaimer: Naturally, you'll need to put in a couple weeks of steady riding to get conditioned to the point where you can claim these rewards without hurting yourself.

HTH and it was both the strongest and first thing that came to my mind after reading this.

DougM