I'm headed to the STL... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings all,

I'm a STL expatriate who resides in Colorado. I'm headed to STL for my best buddy's wedding. I'll be there 5/31-6/7. I'm driving my 80 out.

We are doing a day float on the Big Piney for the bachelor party, and I could be wrong, but isn't that fairly close to Flat Nasty? Is so, is there any reason I shouldn't go spend a couple hours there? What trails might you recommend for a well equipped 80? Lastly, anyone interested in going as well?

Meisha, I'm headed to the Redbirds game on 6/1. Anywho, just wanted to give a shout out to you all.

Nick

P.S. To pre-answer the STL question...SLUH.

Depending how which highway you take it and where you putting in on the Big Piney, it should be about 25-40 miles to Flat Nasty. Are you doing a weekend float or a Sat or Sunday Float? 8 mile, 4 mile, camping down there.

Tell us which day, we make arrangements to possibly meet you there?

I'm fond of trail 4 at F.N..

If you're staying in St. Louis and not camping for the float, we could also go down to Wash ita. Which is south of St L, near Farmington. It's a little more Colorado'ish. It's closer for most of us to get to than Flat Nasty.

You'll be a little over an hour from Flat Nasty.

The trails are rated Green, Yellow, Black. The blacks can be a bit tight for an 80.

If you've only got a few hours I'd hit trails 5, 12, and 4. (Yellow) You'll want sliders on 5 and 4.

Trails #20 and "Hill & Gully" (both green) if you're just after a easy drive through the woods with a few climbs.

Glad you can make it over, and maybe some of us can meet up with you while you are here.

I'll have to check my tickets and see if I'm also going on 6/1 - I'll let you know!

Depending how which highway you take it and where you putting in on the Big Piney, it should be about 25-40 miles to Flat Nasty. Are you doing a weekend float or a Sat or Sunday Float? 8 mile, 4 mile, camping down there.

Tell us which day, we make arrangements to possibly meet you there?

I'm fond of trail 4 at F.N..

If you're staying in St. Louis and not camping for the float, we could also go down to Wash ita. Which is south of St L, near Farmington. It's a little more Colorado'ish. It's closer for most of us to get to than Flat Nasty.

We're floating on that Sunday (5/31), driving down the night before after I've driven through the night Friday from Aspen to STL.:eek: Maybe wheeling in Washington would be better once I've got some rest.

You'll be a little over an hour from Flat Nasty.

The trails are rated Green, Yellow, Black. The blacks can be a bit tight for an 80.

If you've only got a few hours I'd hit trails 5, 12, and 4. (Yellow) You'll want sliders on 5 and 4.

Trails #20 and "Hill & Gully" (both green) if you're just after a easy drive through the woods with a few climbs.

I'm all armor'd up (ARB, slee sliders, Kaymar rear, slee T-case) so that's no problem.;) Also ARBs F&R with 4.88s on 315s. However, my truck is purdy, so I do my darndest to avoid body damage, but the sound is dragging body armor is one I quite enjoy.:D

I guess St. Louis could be known for worse things. :D

Jean shorts, Camaro t-tops, and hoosiers to name a couple others that come to mind. However, that's kind of a South County stereeotype if I'm gonna get technical.:rolleyes:

P.S. No offense intended in this post, as no hoosiers were harmed during the writing of the post...:)

Glad you can make it over, and maybe some of us can meet up with you while you are here.

I'll have to check my tickets and see if I'm also going on 6/1 - I'll let you know!

Keep me posted. I have to visit the inlaws, or outlaws as I like to call them, down in Metropolis on probably Wednesday. Maybe I'll sneak a lil' So. Ill. mud in (Read: IH8MUD). Otherwise, so far, it's pretty wide open.

Look forward to meeting you guys!:cool:
Nick

Jean shorts, Camaro t-tops, and hoosiers to name a couple others that come to mind. However, that's kind of a South County stereeotype if I'm gonna get technical.:rolleyes:

Lindbergh High class of '91 Baby......And I own a Camaro with T-tops.......And Jean Shorts! Sheeez!

You left out wife beaters, Busch Beer, and ownership of at least one car that doesn't run.

Last edited:
Lindbergh High class of '91 Baby......And I own a Camaro with T-tops.......And Jean Shorts! Sheeez!

You left out wife beaters, Busch Beer, and ownership of at least one car that doesn't run.

ROR!!!:lol::lol::lol:

I have a couple friends who graduated from Lindbgergh, but we're younguns, class of '95...

OK, it's official. I'll be at Flat Nasty on Saturday, May 31st (next weekend) to entertain some troops before the bachelor float on Sunday. Please let me know which trails I should run. I'm armor'd, locked, winched, and sittin' on 315 MTRs. I'd like to avoid some of tree damage that seems to be inherent there, but I'm not afraid of big rocks...:hillbilly:

Hope to hook up with some of you guys when I'm in town!:cheers:

I really wouldn't worry about the tree damage, most of the trails are actually pretty wide.

The way you are set up, I wouldn't worry about much unless you try the black trails (but that's easy for me to say b/c it is not my truck :)).

I was just there last weekend. Trail 5 is probably the one you want. If you want to try something more challenging trails 7,8,and 9 just follow ravines up to trail 10. you can spend several hours on these. Also, trail 6 on the opposite side of trial 5 can be fun too. They call it the bunny trail but it has some steep hill climbs.

If you want good advice just look for whats left of a black 1st Generatioon 4Runner with a red hood. That's Ron the park owner's rig. He's a big yota guy. You may even talk him into running some of the trials with you.

Have fun!

I really wouldn't worry about the tree damage, most of the trails are actually pretty wide.

The way you are set up, I wouldn't worry about much unless you try the black trails (but that's easy for me to say b/c it is not my truck :)).

Let me know if you might be able to make it. I just worry, having seen Romer's pics from last year and having a similar setup (although, I'm not sure as he might have been running 305 ATs at the time...). The :princess: might be a little upset if I come back to STL with some added character to our station wagon.:D

It's funny because the Colorado/Utah wheeling which has some ridiculous exposure, offcamber, and rock obstacles doesn't bother me like the threat of putting a tree into my rear quarter panel.:crybaby:

I was just there last weekend. Trail 5 is probably the one you want. If you want to try something more challenging trails 7,8,and 9 just follow ravines up to trail 10. you can spend several hours on these. Also, trail 6 on the opposite side of trial 5 can be fun too. They call it the bunny trail but it has some steep hill climbs.

If you want good advice just look for whats left of a black 1st Generatioon 4Runner with a red hood. That's Ron the park owner's rig. He's a big yota guy. You may even talk him into running some of the trials with you.

Have fun!

I think I've seen pics of 7 and it looked pretty cool. Thanks for the advice, I'll try and track Ron down when I'm there. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a :princess:, but I'm always more hesitant when I either haven't run the trails before, am not with someone who has and is a competent spotter, and am driving my purdy 80 as opposed to Frankentruck (my trusty ole minitruck;)).

I don't know the trail number but as you enter Flat Nasty the trail is off to your left and follows a creek bed. It is a good long trail that has some off shoots to some harder stuff.

Look for pictures that either MoJ or WFD posted about our trip last year(not the TLCA event). I know I am being vague and I apologize for this.'

If you decide to come through Rolla just let me know if you want to meet.

lunyou

thanks for the info MoJ.....i really had fun with you guys that weekend.......maybe I need to quit forgetting and meet up with everyone again.

lunyou

Thanks guys! Trail #5 looks like fun!

P.S. I've got the ROTW sticky thread in the 80 Series Section if you want to see my rig and kknow what to look out for it the STL area.

Thanks!:cheers:
Nick

I like trail 18..."All Day Sucker"

there are lots of bypasses and not too much off camber stuff..tough trail though! This is just a small section of the trail....it is aptly named!

wirelessrockcam049.jpg

wirelessrockcam051.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom