I'm Dumb - Slave cylinder (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I went out today and I have no clutch.............put the truck in gear and try to start and the truck tries to crawl away...........knew it was coming.

So I got out my toyota factory service manual and I found the Master Cylinder no problem............but where the heck is the slave? The book doesn't mention anything about a dang slave cylinder........is there a different name for it?

Another question........would I be better off rebuilding the master I have or just buying a whole one?

Thanks

lunyou

slave cylinder is on the passenger side on the truck right beside the transmission where the engine and trans come together it had a "rod" coming off of it and it pushes on the fork that disengauges your clutch.

also if you look from the hood area on the passenger side straight down next to the starter you can see it.

Also if you follow the tube from the master, it leads right to the slave.
Also, one rarely replaces or rebuilds one cylinder without soon replacing or rebuilding the other...fix both at the same time and save your self a bleed.

The master and slave are not too costly. I have bought from CCOT and Man-a-fre. Cruiser Dan might be competitive and if so, would be the first choice. Find the slave, crawl under and have someone push in the clutch. See what kind of movement you have. No movement=trouble, also leaky slave=trouble. Compare the cost of rebuild kits with new but I think it would be better to go new. If the barrel of the cylinder gets badly pitted with rust that is hard to hone out and a rebuild quickly fails. With a full replacement, you can flush out the line and have nice clean fluid and a fresh start. Good Luck!

I have a master and slave in the garage - will sell it cheap!
I changed mine out just for fun a couple of months ago, not because I had any problems. fj60 with 137k miles.

search the classifieds for sale parts - clutch master and slave. I posted the parts there a while back.

(Not sure what shipping would be like to you, however??)

I rebuilt the slave on my 1981 '40 after it failed in downtown Pueblo, CO. It was easy, and never gave me problems after that. Get a kit, and do it! Simple, a 1 :banana: job. Saves you some hard earned $ too. The problem was that the clutch system needs flushing, too, like the brakes. Shoulda kept that '81, it was a good one. :crybaby:Ned

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom