I'm doing the old FJ45 on an FJ80 chassis (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Stock 80 chassis with stock 40 body.

Why is the front axle set so far back in the wheel opening? A stock 40 has the front axle about 4" forward from where you have it.

Awesome!..and even a WARN 8274 to top things off..well done ;)

Why is the front axle set so far back in the wheel opening? A stock 40 has the front axle about 4" forward from where you have it.

The front axle is set “so far back” because that’s where it landed. The bed perches were fabbed up and the cab landed where it landed. I didn’t want to change the engineering of a proven product, the likelihood of improving on Toyota perfection is Low. I also approve of the front as it looks somewhat original.

74980643-6FC4-4608-B002-2C5F1F94273D.jpeg

42625C30-A006-4196-BEE2-372B223AF61F.jpeg

The front axle is set “so far back” because that’s where it landed. The bed perches were fabbed up and the cab landed where it landed. I didn’t want to change the engineering of a proven product, the likelihood of improving on Toyota perfection is Low. I also approve of the front as it looks somewhat original.

View attachment 1904284

View attachment 1904285

That’s HAWT!!!

I really like where the wheel is in the front. Feels like it lined up nicely. Nice job!

Are you getting any tire rub out back where the flex is?

Cool stuff, a wide 40 on a 80 platform is my next “hobby buildup” so like seeing the 40’s/45’s/55’s on 80’s - esp since you have that on stock 80 wheelbase.

Cool stuff, a wide 40 on a 80 platform is my next “hobby buildup” so like seeing the 40’s/45’s/55’s on 80’s - esp since you have that on stock 80 wheelbase.
IMO the dream is a fully insulated 55 body on an 80 series chassis. Rebuilt 1fz with wits end turbo, oem reman trans, rebuilt tcase with high and low gears, chromoly axles, king shocks, all the fun stuff. A guy can dream. I would look really cool pulling up to Whole Foods.

View attachment 1904284

View attachment 1904285

I think it's beautiful!

Nice job!

I did something similar on another brand 40 years ago and I COMPLETELY understand why you did what you did and it's perfect to me!

For those of you who have commented in favor, Thank you. For those of you who would do things differently, Thank you. This vehicle was assembled with the skill level in possession, "The more we know, the better we do". There are so many things I had to consider when putting this together, Height, ride quality, tire size, Leg room, power train, reliability, parts availability, ease of triage administration, electronics, on board spare parts and most of all budget! I chose to keep the chassis stock because of the well designed offroadability and comfortable ride. The OME 2.5" lift keeps agreeable angles and it was ordered as a medium capacity because I now have a bed for carrying things and I do have two spares affixed rearward of rear axle. I didn't want to cut the bed down because it have a general OEM appearance to me. With the cab where it is the frame out front is just enough for the 8274 which I believe adds to originality appearance. Inside the cab I kept everything in place with no new holes or metal fabrication, the hump feels like it always did and ergonomics are in their familiar cramped layout. The part time 4x4 was chosen because I believe it will reduce parts consumption, increase fuel economy and add to the original look. In the end I knew I wouldn't be able to please everyone but that wasn't my goal, the truck comes with only one passenger seat and my wife enjoys riding around in this a couple times a year.

78 FFJ45 WA 3.jpg

78 FJ45 WA 2.jpg

78 FJ45 WA 4.jpg

78 FJ45 WA.jpg

Is this truck perfect, absolutely not. I considered buying a Polaris side by side for trail riding but figured I would enjoy this more having spent less and I don't have to drag a trailer to enjoy mountain rides. It;s comfortable, has plenty of power and there's a good chance I can administer a trail fix that will get me home. No major electronics and those that are present are tried and true. Huge LS? Meh, this will do. I actually wanted to keep the age old multi color paint but I live in S, Florida at the beach so the bedliner treatment is a condom of sorts. I love the original steering wheel but I would consider a smaller one.

It has ablack mark on the rear of the wheel well but not a true interference situation. I may looses up the bed and bome it back .50"? Right now it hasn't causes any issues.

The tan truck was a practice truck. It came out nice but had an Aqualu bed, cab and fenders. Rode rough and a couple hundred miles in it made you feel like a bruised turd. I see what is mentioned about the front axle but I don't think it is enough to warrant all the labor involved for the minuscule change in aesthetics? I just realized that I'm keeping black bits signature. Also I apparently like to have the spares present and visible. Excuse the filthy picture, I actually use this truck.

thumbnail_IMG_3793.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2696.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2693.jpg

thumbnail_56937157826__95F0C285-7A67-4F57-851F-346B5D485DD0 (1).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom