I'm changing my radiator what else should I do while I'm at it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
steelheadoutfitters.com
My radiator is totaled (again) and I was lucky to find one here from jkdur728, thank you. The snow and ice has melted so I'm going to tear into it this weekend. I've had it out before and thanks for all the threads on here about the steps to do so. I plan to replace my water pump, thermostat (which doesn't work) and adjacent hoses. I.m also gonna pull the smog pump off and put the Air Pump Idler pulley from TLC on in an attempt to quiet things down a bit and frankly clean things up a bit.

Here's the big question. I couldn't care less about the AC on this rig, you can probably guess it doesn't work. Is this a good time to address it or something for a later date?

Much appreciated.

Sam

I tossed my AC condenser in a dumpster. It DEFINITELY blocks air flowing to the radiator even when brand new.

Maybe replace the water temperature sender at the back of the head. Easy to get at to remove and not expensive. Only use the genuine Toyota sensor.

I tossed my AC condenser in a dumpster. It DEFINITELY blocks air flowing to the radiator even when brand new.

Maybe replace the water temperature sender at the back of the head. Easy to get at to remove and not expensive. Only use the genuine Toyota sensor.
So I can just rip the whole thing out? On the sensor, mines removed to a bs gauge and I'd like to restore it. Why only use Toyota part, it's about 4x the money,

thanks for the reply

Yes. Likely your AC has already leaked out all its refrigerant so just remove the condenser up front. The AC compressor makes a most excellent air compressor for tires. Super fast. It needs a tool oiler installed at its intake and an oil separator installed on its discharge if you want to convert it to an air compressor. Normally when it’s used to compress AC refrigerant, there’s oil in the closed system lubricating it.

My experience with aftermarket temperature senders is that they are calibrated differently (or not at all). The one I got from SOR read high. I replaced it with a Toyota sender and the temp needle in the cab returned to normal.
If needle position on the gauge doesn’t matter to you, then an aftermarket sensor should be ok.

So I can just rip the whole thing out?
Yes. I got rid of all the AC stuff on the 62 I owned for 20 years. It wasn't working and wasn't needed. Makes it a lot easier to get around under the hood.

is this on a 60 or 62? I'd consider cutting the fan shroud while you have it off. That way in the future if you should have to remove the fan, water pump etc it makes life easier. There are plenty of thread here that show you how and where to cut it.

The AC shouldn't be in the way at all except maybe the dryer mounting (shares some bolts) if you are removing the radiator. You can save that project for another date. FYI...consider selling your AC lines (hard and soft) and not tossing them. Of just keep them in your stash if you ever want to put an AC system in.

I personally remove all ac from any old car I use. Don't like them, like Bob Dylan, don't believe in them. And it was over 35c yesterday, went to the beach.
Ac's are extra fuel, extra maintenance, extra complication, extra stress on the engine.

So I can just rip the whole thing out? On the sensor, mines removed to a bs gauge and I'd like to restore it. Why only use Toyota part, it's about 4x the money,

thanks for the reply
The initial cost seems to be higher, but those of us who have tried to save a few bucks here and there using aftermarket parts have learned that you often “buy once cry once”. As OSS said he ended up buying two sensors rather than the one he needed. Not only that but the part he replaced is probably still good for an other application and it’s not available on the market anymore. The energy costs of making that part have been in vain. And it’s now likely in a box or trash heap taking up space serving no purpose and has wasted all the time it took people to make and ship it around the globe. All those little insignificant things add up at the end of the day in my opinion and if efficiency of energy expenditure is important to you and the environment then do whatever you can not to nickel and dime yourself.

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve done the job twice just because I used a cheaper part. It ends up being twice as costly in some cases. Especially if you have to take apart half the engine bay to replace a silky hose or gasket.

Yes. Likely your AC has already leaked out all its refrigerant so just remove the condenser up front. The AC compressor makes a most excellent air compressor for tires. Super fast. It needs a tool oiler installed at its intake and an oil separator installed on its discharge if you want to convert it to an air compressor. Normally when it’s used to compress AC refrigerant, there’s oil in the closed system lubricating it.

My experience with aftermarket temperature senders is that they are calibrated differently (or not at all). The one I got from SOR read high. I replaced it with a Toyota sender and the temp needle in the cab returned to normal.
If needle position on the gauge doesn’t matter to you, then an aftermarket sensor should be ok.

My truck still had the original refrigerant in it when I bought it. AC worked like a champ. When I first replaced my radiator years ago I moved the condenser lines and broke one of the seals. It leaked out into the atmosphere and nearly blew into my face. I was lucky that it wasn’t really bad. Not great for our air supply, but I survived.

Fast forward a few years, AC stopped working and I haven’t really missed it too much. Never took the time to remove the AC equipment. A few weeks ago when I was pulling my engine I went to take the AC lines off the condenser and nearly took a blast of refrigerant to the face again. I had to walk away and let it spew mineral oil all over the engine bay and driveway.

Moral of the story, don’t assume it’s empty. If you haven’t emptied it properly and you haven’t paid someone to empty it, treat it like an unknown firearm and assume it is loaded and dangerous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom