I’m back- New LC 100 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NickPsy

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello Mudders-

I’m back in the fold with a newly acquired 2001 100 and happy about it. Actually, I’m 1/4 in as I bought a 1/4 interest in the 100 with three buddies that I go quail hunting with in northern Baja. Our plan is to leave the rig at our hunting club in Baja full time so we can eliminate the need for each of us to have separate vehicles that are suitable for the field and to go back and forth to SoCal in.

We bought a 2001 LC on Bring-A-Trailer earlier this month. It was sold by a great guy in Scottsdale who fitted the truck really well for our use. Mods are extensive (to me) and include: ARB front bumper, Warn winch, Prospeed roof rack, Slee rock sliders, a 40 gallon fuel tank, UCA’s, 2.5” King remote reservoir shocks, 305 Falken AT3 tires and some more stuff. Body and paint are great but will soon earn its share of “Mexican pinstripes.”

We are stoked and think this well be great for Baja and easily handle the terrain we cover. ASfter all, my pretty much stock former 06 rig never once stranded me so this beast should do fine.

My question for you all is about rear drawers. Our 20 gauge shotguns are about 43-44” long, so too long to fit in a drawer vertically (front to back). Does anyone make a single drawer for a 100 that has a diagonal divider that allows for shotguns? We will need to store as many as 4 guns so I’m figuring a 8”+ depth to stack two guns on top of each other (one stays in a case). Please let me know if you have any ideas and thank you in advance.

Pretty lame photos attached.

Nick.

44A51A75-5256-4E4D-AE07-AFB2F7B39BF3.jpeg

A1855861-9FF1-49ED-BFED-C58394604BF6.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks, I saw the Truck Vault offerings while searching online. They seem to be the only option that have diagonal dividers allowing shotguns to fit.

air down gear up has a nice setup, not sure the length of drawers.

@Kyle Bell

Cool set up for hunting.

I have a Truck Vault box in my work SUV and I am not impressed at all with the quality considering how much they cost. When we outfitted our two new Yukon's, we put boxes in from D&R Electronics (part no. TS-01-34) and the overall quality is way better. They may have one that will fit in a 100:

D&R Electronics Storage Solutions

We also have a Weatherguard Pack Rat Drawer in one of our Yukon XL's and I think it is also better quality than the Truck Vault. I am not sure if you could find one that fits in a 100 though.

Thanks for all the input, gents. The Truck Vault products are very pricy by comparison. I’ll post pics of whatever I end up with. Also getting some new driving lights, and an ARB on-board compressor. Flat tires happen where we go.

You might be able to get a 46" wide drawer to fit in there (so shotguns could fit straight across) but you would have to mount it above the wheel wells. The space underneath would be perfect for one of those folding 6 ft tables.

A couple thoughts that may or may not work for you.

Do you need the second row seats? If not, contact Air Down Gear Up and see what they can do. If you delete the second row seats, they should be able to fab up some longer drawers that would work nicely. Then maybe have some drawers that pull out from the side when the second row doors are open.

Have you checked out the Huracan tailgate storage options? Not sure if you're shotguns will fit but I've seen pictures of folks putting AR's and such in there so it's worth a shot. (lame pun intended)

Love this! I want to be your hunting buddy!!!

I‘ll check out the Huracan system, but we generally have 2 guys with 2 shotguns each. We also keep them in soft cases so it seems like that could be tight.

Right now we are leaning toward a platform so we can slide the guns under it in their cases and keep plastic crates with gear on the other half (or flat chairs/tables).

Buckaroo- We have a pretty sweet set up where we go. I’ll post a few pics….

7CF82581-C394-4DEB-B226-0E87A777C1CA.jpeg

Our new LC was a beast in the field. We were loaded up with 4 big dudes and a bunch of gear and the truck handled everything with ease. The King shocks were on the middle setting and we left the tire pressures where they were for street/highway travel. The truck did really great off the dirt roads through a combo of rocks, hard pack dirt, ruts, sandy washes and the typical northern Baja terrain. On washboard it was a bit harsh, but maybe I was expecting too much. Next time I may mess with the shock settings and see what happens. Anyways, here are a few pics from the weekend. Like most of the west, northern Baja REALLY needs some rain, man was it dry…

E2957EA0-80E7-4E44-982E-95E62B141E05.jpeg

DFE77569-407C-49B8-9F0C-E7A93986DB82.jpeg

BA4A3727-E57D-4CF1-BBCA-22E6A018D8D1.jpeg

67502709-4203-49AB-B833-90BF0D92855D.jpeg

Last edited:
For washboard roads, you have to air down and find that sweet spot in speed. Could be 30mph. Could be 65 mph. In all cases, only go as fast as safe.

Nice setup! I built my drawers, they are equal width but historically I have been able to get 20ga's in there. There are two options:

1. Set up the drawer dimensions with one drawer about 12" wide and the other 30" wide.
2. Build the drawers tall enough (I find even to the back seats when folded is enough) and put piano hinge wings on the side. When you lift up that filler "flap" panel it will give you enough room to set a gun in length wise since it goes all the way up to the back seat.

Additionally, there are "Dog racks" that go to separate the trunk from the back seats. They fix in place. You can attach holders to that dog rack (or molle rack which I believe is made now) and hang your cases width wise. They would be more visible and not as easy to access.

Last edited:
For washboards, use your brakes while driving. Pick a speed, let's say 45 mph, apply just enough brake with your left foot to feel the front end drop and the truck slow down just a bit, then apply a bit more gas to get you back to 45 mph. Once you get the hang of it, you can apply the brake just as you hit the washboards and release it once you're through. It even helps smooth out the unavoidable hits as it's much easier on the passengers versus violently swerving.

Obviously this is not good for the longevity of your brakes and it shouldn't be done for extended periods. You should also try to find the sweet spot in your shocks first. But when all else fails, this works amazingly well.

Hello Mudders-

I’m back in the fold with a newly acquired 2001 100 and happy about it. Actually, I’m 1/4 in as I bought a 1/4 interest in the 100 with three buddies that I go quail hunting with in northern Baja. Our plan is to leave the rig at our hunting club in Baja full time so we can eliminate the need for each of us to have separate vehicles that are suitable for the field and to go back and forth to SoCal in.

We bought a 2001 LC on Bring-A-Trailer earlier this month. It was sold by a great guy in Scottsdale who fitted the truck really well for our use. Mods are extensive (to me) and include: ARB front bumper, Warn winch, Prospeed roof rack, Slee rock sliders, a 40 gallon fuel tank, UCA’s, 2.5” King remote reservoir shocks, 305 Falken AT3 tires and some more stuff. Body and paint are great but will soon earn its share of “Mexican pinstripes.”

We are stoked and think this well be great for Baja and easily handle the terrain we cover. ASfter all, my pretty much stock former 06 rig never once stranded me so this beast should do fine.

My question for you all is about rear drawers. Our 20 gauge shotguns are about 43-44” long, so too long to fit in a drawer vertically (front to back). Does anyone make a single drawer for a 100 that has a diagonal divider that allows for shotguns? We will need to store as many as 4 guns so I’m figuring a 8”+ depth to stack two guns on top of each other (one stays in a case). Please let me know if you have any ideas and thank you in advance.

Pretty lame photos attached.

Nick.

View attachment 3138222

View attachment 3138224
Nice looking 100. I spent a couple years working in Scottsdale. Lots of pristine cars out there. It's a great market for used cars. Scottsdale to California - that 100 is living an easy life!

I'm a co-founder of Air Down Gear Up and we've got a few options for that sort of storage. We do simple platforms, big dual drawer sleepers, full kitchens and everything in between - all fully engineered and CNC'd in house in Colorado.

We're designing a 48" long drawer right now for the Sequoias. That could potentially be adapted to a 100 system as well. You could also do a partial or full 2nd row delete and give yourself plenty of space for a row of long guns neatly set side by side. Could also do a shallow full width drawer and store them sideways. Or store them lengthwise in our wing areas above/beside the wheel wells. Lots of options.

Give us a call or email if you like. Our standard catalog of options is pretty deep these days so chances are good something "off the shelf" will suit your needs. If your budget allows for custom work we can of course get wild, crazy and specific.

Finally, we're working through keyed lock options this week. We've got a few upcoming builds with keyed locks as a hard requirement so we'll be finalizing a locking option promptly.

As you can probably tell from the various recommendations in this thread we take our quality seriously and stand behind everything we make. :)

Andy
720-335-5991
info@airdowngearup.com

Nice looking 100. I spent a couple years working in Scottsdale. Lots of pristine cars out there. It's a great market for used cars. Scottsdale to California - that 100 is living an easy life!

I'm a co-founder of Air Down Gear Up and we've got a few options for that sort of storage. We do simple platforms, big dual drawer sleepers, full kitchens and everything in between - all fully engineered and CNC'd in house in Colorado.

We're designing a 48" long drawer right now for the Sequoias. That could potentially be adapted to a 100 system as well. You could also do a partial or full 2nd row delete and give yourself plenty of space for a row of long guns neatly set side by side. Could also do a shallow full width drawer and store them sideways. Or store them lengthwise in our wing areas above/beside the wheel wells. Lots of options.

Give us a call or email if you like. Our standard catalog of options is pretty deep these days so chances are good something "off the shelf" will suit your needs. If your budget allows for custom work we can of course get wild, crazy and specific.

Finally, we're working through keyed lock options this week. We've got a few upcoming builds with keyed locks as a hard requirement so we'll be finalizing a locking option promptly.

As you can probably tell from the various recommendations in this thread we take our quality seriously and stand behind everything we make. :)

Andy
720-335-5991
info@airdowngearup.com
This is fantastic, thank you for such a thorough reply. i have some ideas on what I think will work well for our needs. I will be in touch Soon. Nick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom