I'm back! Kinda sorta. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

John Smith

In the garage
SILVER Star
Threads
TL;DR - I'm back on Mud and working on my Land Cruisers again.

I've been gone 4 plus years and lots has changed! I see our CLCC section has lots of new members and seems to be more active than ever. This post will be an introduction to some, and an explanation for my absence, for others. I have been a LC enthusiast / whack job since the late 90s and was very active on Mud and the 4 wheeling scene through the 2000's. That all abruptly changed a few years ago for a number of reasons.

Some of you know I lost my job of 21 years at IBM after being let go in June of 2016. I wasn't expecting it, and to say that it upended my world would be putting it mildly. I was unable to find full time employment, or really much employment at all for the next two years. Unfortunately, around the same time my father in law started a slow health deterioration of congestive heart failure and dementia. My wife and I would become his support network until his passing earlier this year. Needless to say I really didn't have the time, or the desire to work on my trucks, go 4 wheeling, or surf Mud.

I finally got a full time gig in January 2019 which improved some things, but my FIL was bouncing between the hospital and his nursing home on a monthly basis. Dementia is not the way you want to go out. Trust me on this. My new employer does not allow employees to use the network for non business use. So no Mud for me at work, and my eye sight has deteriorated such that viewing Mud on my phone is not comfortable at all. I now also have a one hour commute to the office each way, and the last thing I want to do when I get home is turn on the computer. So I really haven't been on Mud until the Covid19 stay at home began, and I can now surf Mud again during the day somewhat. I'll never be as active as I once was, especially once I have to return to the office. But I'm really enjoying working from home again.

During the past 4 years I tried to keep my FJ40 running, but it would sit for long periods, and the carb would need a rebuild due to the 10% ethanol gas gumming everything up. After two carb rebuilds, I got a new Chinese carb, which worked great until I let it sit and the needle valve would stick after the float bowl would run dry. So my 40 sat some more. Fast forward to this year and I somehow find a thread about Holley Sniper fuel injection on my first visit to Mud in a looooong time.

Well, despite my FJ40 body rapidly rotting away, along with needing the rotten rear spring hangers replaced, I am convinced this is the project I need to get my FJ40 running again and motivate me to get back into my LC hobby. So I have been slowly putting together everything I need to convert my FJ40's 2F over to EFI. I'm still waiting on a few parts but will be starting a thread in the 40 section soon about the install.

I'm hoping to get my FJ40 running again soon, and then get my Suburban also running again. Which will allow me to swap vehicles around to try and finally get my basket case FJ55 put together and on the road after sitting for many years. Despite being the worst year ever, I'm looking forward to getting back into my Land Cruisers.

Cheers :beer:

Welcome back John! Looking forward to the Siper EFI thread. I've read through a couple of them in the 40 section and they seem to be a good option for foul running carbs. Especially since you can keep it sort of looking factory with the air cleaner assembly.

I'm glad your back, you've been missed.

Welcome back John! Looking forward to the Siper EFI thread. I've read through a couple of them in the 40 section and they seem to be a good option for foul running carbs. Especially since you can keep it sort of looking factory with the air cleaner assembly.
Welcome back... Hope to see you around the fire sometime in the not too distant future.

John! Welcome back!

Glad to (informally) meet you. I can appreciate your caregiver role and the challenges it brought. Similar story here. Perhaps we'll cross paths one day. Glad to see that you've found the time to get back to a neglected love. I have more than one that scream at me every time that I walk into my home office and do something truck related instead.

Last time I saw you John, you were stopped along the construction barriers on the interstate with a dead truck. Glad to see that you made it home :)

Things haven't changed, Burl doesn't wear a shirt, Bob is still wheeling a creampuff, gary brings donuts, and I'm flaky as all hell. There's a new round of newbies that are all energetic. So happy to hear you're back. June 12 is the east coast 4runner jamboree - that would be a good date to shoot for with your fuel injection.

Hey John, from one out of action wheeler to another, I understand not being able to enjoy a beloved hobby. Sorry to hear about your trials. Good to hear you're starting to fire up the afterburner. I recently replaced all my rotted fuel lines (to my surprise) after cleaning and re-coating my fuel tank, so you might want to check your lines out. Here's hoping we'll see each other on the trail soon.

Always empty seats for ya, no need for a truck!

Last time I saw you John, you were stopped along the construction barriers on the interstate with a dead truck. Glad to see that you made it home :)

Things haven't changed, Burl doesn't wear a shirt, Bob is still wheeling a creampuff, gary brings donuts, and I'm flaky as all hell. There's a new round of newbies that are all energetic. So happy to hear you're back. June 12 is the east coast 4runner jamboree - that would be a good date to shoot for with your fuel injection.

Welcome back John.

What BK said.... That was a sketchy location you were in on the side of the highway near Rausch!

Best regards.
-onur

Good to hear from you John, hope to see you back out with us this year. As others have said you’ve been missed and of course talked about (all good I’m sure 🤔) but seriously get your junk together and come hang with us 😎

Hi John -

If you do half the job you did on your Saginaw Power Steering write-up, it will be well worth the read. Welcome back, the LC affliction is a lot more bearable than life can be at times. Aging 40's and neglected Iron Pigs tend to push that envelop.

I hope to see you in camp sometime soon.

Welcome back.